Author Topic: Great, just great.  (Read 6895 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
 :blah:

Hello,

Your account has been permanently disabled without refund or chance for
re-enablement for violations of our Terms of Service. The unauthorized
distribution of copyrighted material (including computer games) is
strictly prohibited.

Jeff,

**** you dreamhost.

For the Freespace ISOs I assume.

God damn, I hope nothing more comes out of this.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:11:02 pm by Swantz »
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
that sucks

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.

Hello,

strictly prohibited.

Jeff,
Owch, that has to hurt

**** you dreamhost.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Hello,

strictly prohibited.

Jeff,

**** you dreamhost.

This is stupid, but they have to do this because some pirate might try to upload an ISO of a copyrighted game. They probably wouldn't of known that FS2 can be 'distributed freely'.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
The part that *really* ticks me off is, I renewed the plan for a year about a month ago, a total of about 140 bucks :mad:

Seems kind of strange though, I had the Freespace ISOs up for about a year, seems odd they would do that out of the blue.

Someone must have complained, or they didn't like the bandwidth usage.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:55:30 pm by Swantz »
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, the bandwidth is almost certainly what raised their attention. :( I guess it can't hurt to try pointing them to the "friends and acquaintances" EULA and see if they respond.

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Dealing with DMCA

Only the copyright holder can enforce that, I believe - and I seriously doubt they're out for you.

How much bandwidth was it?
Fringespace - Tachyon: Revived   ModDB Listing   Razorskiss.net 

You only think you can outfly me.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
@CP5670
Yeah, I'm going to mention that to them.

@RazorsKiss
I had around 2.5 TB allotted to me I usually used no more than 600 GB a month.  About 75% of that being the FS ISOs.

Formerly known as Swantz

what terms and conditions did you infringe exactly?

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I'm not really sure Vasudan Commander.

Oh, and did I mention I got no "warning" e-mails, or any other notifications for that matter?

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
...They must take Nuke's approach...
KA-BOOM!

well... it seems that we have to resort to Bittorrent.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'd write and complain and send a copy of the EULA to 'Jeff', and also mention how 'convenient' it was that they did it without warning just after you had renewed your subscription. It's not like you've got anything to lose.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Bastards. Really, no refund? Jesus.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I'd write and complain and send a copy of the EULA to 'Jeff', and also mention how 'convenient' it was that they did it without warning just after you had renewed your subscription. It's not like you've got anything to lose.

++goodsuggestion

If it comes to it, you can always sue them. You may not win, but you'll piss them off, maybe make them lose a couple deals, make them buy lawyers, etc. Just be sure to get a really cheap lawyer yourself.

Suing large corporations is nice revenge :drevil:

You may lose money, but hopefully they will have lost more than you.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 09:44:38 am by thesizzler »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
doubleplusgoodsuggestion, you mean?

Well it is nonetheless.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
doubleplusgoodsuggestion, you mean?

Well it is nonetheless.

++ is easier to type

Offline Inquisitor

I have said this before, and I will say it again, relying on the "friends and family" EULA is shaky, shaky ground. Read any post of mine from the last oh, 7 years on the subject if you want to know why. The relevant sentence everyone conveniently neglects to read is "Any permissions granted herein are provided on a temporary basis and can be withdrawn by Interplay Productions at any time." They had updated the EULA on the website in like 2000 or 2001, but of course that is gone. There are no requirements for copyright holders to post these updates, as far as I know (not being a lawyer, I cannot say for sure), and their revocation of these rights can probably be processed on a case by case base (such as a cease and desist), and things like the DMCA probably provide implied coverage anyway.

When I talk to our lawyers about things, they always ask me this: "Will your definition pass the reasonableness test?" Is it reasonable for me to believe that you are distributing it only to your family and friends if you host a file on a website that ANYONE on the internet can download? Is it reasonable for me to believe that even all  3827 members of htis website are your "friends"?

My guess is a judge would laugh at you, it would certainly make an interesting "Law and Order."

FS2 recently re-appeared on GameTap, which means someone is alive at Interplay (or was long enough to sign the contract).

They may be enforcing their copyrights now. Hosting these files you do so at your own risk. It IS copyright'd material. The ISP may shut you off and be perfectly in their rights. I'd look at your Terms of Service, specifically for any clauses that say they have the right to refuse service, etc, etc.

You may be screwed, you may be able to get your account back (or maybe a refund) by explaining it was all a misunderstanding. You will not get it back (and subsequently be able to distribute the files again) by claiming it was your right to distribute the files based on an 8 year old EULA that may or may not have any real basis anymore. You will certainly be immediately transferred to their lawyers if you start talking about lawsuits. That's what I tell my guys to do, as soon as someone says "lawyer" the call changes and gets transferred to someone with that kind of knowledge and authority.

-edit-
Google for the legal defnition of friends and family, probably a relevant place to look are teh SEC rules around stock offerings, I think you will find that they fairly narrowly define it. There would be alot more people in jail for stock fraud if people defined friends in the way people here define it. Remember, you are dealing with a legal document, which means you are dealing with lawyers. Words as definied by lawyers frequently defy logic and are rarely ever the same definitions us mere mortals would give for those words.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:54:40 am by Inquisitor »
No signature.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
See the only thing I'm really worried about is possible further legal action, the hosting was expendable if something like that comes into play.

Right now I'm simply calming myself with the "Interplay probably doesn't have the money for lawyers" stance.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.

Hello,

strictly prohibited.

Jeff,

**** you dreamhost.

What a jackass, that Jeff