Author Topic: Multiple Control Inputs  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Multiple Control Inputs

My shiny new X52Pro and shiny new rudder pedals just arrived, and I have found the same issue alluded to in some old Babylon Project posts -- FSO only supports inputs from one device, and now I have two.  I can make the rudder pedals work through use of a virtual joystick mixer, but that application severely limits the number of buttons I can use, and does not support the hat controls.  Taylor alluded in these old postings to an overhaul of the control code as part of some other larger batch of code.  Is this revised control code part of post 3.10 plans?
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Multiple Control Inputs
AFAIK you can mix multiple controllers to virtual controllers, but there are some limitations AFAIK... There is a thread at GW about this, which has a link to directions on getting virtual controller configured.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Yeah, all of that new input code is actually part of the rather massive pilot file code upgrade, which is slated for 3.7.  At the moment that new input code supports 2 separate controls by default, but I'm actually thinking of upping that to 4 by the time it's ready for any sort of public testing.  The good part about it though, is that upgrading the number of control inputs will no longer mess up pilot files, so we can bump any limits any time that we want.

The new input code is actually a rewrite of quite a few things, mainly for cleanup purposes, but also for general upgrade/update.  The keyboard code, the mouse code, and the joystick code are all getting upgraded with the new pilot file code.  The mouse code will receive the least number of changes (general improvements, support for mouse wheel as well as more than 3 buttons), the keyboard code getting quite a few (mainly for cleanup and better i18n support), with the joystick code is getting the largest group of changes.  The various bits of code for dealing with inputs (like what does what, and the controlconfig screen) will also be getting quite a few changes in order to handle the improved input code.

The current plan is to do 3.6.10 in June, and 3.6.11 at the end of the year.  Between those time periods I will start public testing of builds which have the new pilot file code.  So with any luck you'll be able to make use of the new code this year, and well before 3.7 is ready.  There is currently no ETA for 3.7, but the safest guess is that it's at least a year away (if we can stick with ~6 months between release dates, and if 3.6.11 is the last of the 3.6 series).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 11:45:18 am by taylor »

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Sounds good, thanks.  Meanwhile I'll see if I can locate a better control mixer than the one I have.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
good to hear. id like having it upped to 4 because im thinking of buying a 3-unit ch setup (stick/rudder/throttle), and while it supposidly comes with mixing software, id like to use it as 3 individual controls. that actually comes in handy more if you happen to be using sdl for joystick interfaces. as i understand sdl, it only really supports 6 axes, and controls like the x52 has about 7, and the ch setup im looking at has a total of 9 (3 axes per unit). while not realistic to have that many axes in game, it would be cool to support them. especially if i can have scriptable axes, reverse thrusters, relative thrusters (along with the main), and lateral/vertical thrusters, all mapped to axes. im definately a control freak
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN