Author Topic: And the throttle of my joystick died...  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Dysko

And the throttle of my joystick died...
Some days ago I was playing X-Plane. I was landing on a carrier, and when I had to do the "bolter" (when you give max power to the engines when touching down to avoid splashing in sea in case of a missed approach) and I discovered the throttle on my joystick stopped working!!! :(

My joystick is a Trust GM-2500 Predator. I went immediatly on the Trust website, only to discover that my joystick model is the only one for which are not available troubleshooting programs.
Since this is my 3rd joystick (over 3 joysticks bought :doubt:) which has problem to the throttle, had anyone of you problems with the joystick throttle? Is it a common problem with joystick throttles?

Oh, and BTW I landed safely ;)
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Re: And the throttle of my joystick died...
The throttle was probably the last thing to go on my MS Sidewinder Precision 2.  My original Precision 1 had a good life and then the sensors died.  MS replaced it with another one and then few more years later the sensors died again.  Then finally I got the Precision 2 which had sensors that still work to this day but most of the buttons have long since ceased to respond.  On the other hand the throttle on that stick works quite well :)

Now I have a Saitek X-52 which I expect to be able to hold on to for quite some time and this throttle is a big solid heavy piece of engineering and *touch wood* I hope to get allot of use out of it.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
saitek rocks :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Yeah. I thought the x52's MFD showed waypoint times for FS2004 though. That's what it looked like in the promotional pictures and the ones on their site.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Icey, I still have the MS Sidewinder Precision Pro I bought ages ago. :p Unfortunately, my latest motherboard upgrade removed the game port connector, so I have no way of plugging it in anymore. But it lasted until today - not that it's seen much use over the past couple of years. And the joint between stick and base sometimes clacks when you turn it just so...

Anyway, I've long been keeping my eyes open for a replacement (USB this time), but I do have one near-requirement: a shift key. :) I loved that feature of the original Precision Pro, was gutted that it was omitted from the PP2, and have yet to see it on any other joystick. Do you know of anything with the same functionality? I loved being able to have the trigger fire my primaries, and the shift-trigger switch between primaries. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Saitek Cyborg Evo has two shift buttons, one on either side of the base.  They might require the Saitek profiling software to be running in order to function properly; I just use one of them as my afterburner button myself.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Icey, I still have the MS Sidewinder Precision Pro I bought ages ago. :p Unfortunately, my latest motherboard upgrade removed the game port connector, so I have no way of plugging it in anymore.

I still have the gameport/usb adapter, but not the joystick. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Yeah. I thought the x52's MFD showed waypoint times for FS2004 though. That's what it looked like in the promotional pictures and the ones on their site.

The x52 pro's MFD shows the radio stack in FS X.  I don't have anything else that makes use of it.  It does show a clock though.... :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Mine has a clock, date, and stopwatch. :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The Saitek Cyborg Evo has two shift buttons, one on either side of the base.  They might require the Saitek profiling software to be running in order to function properly; I just use one of them as my afterburner button myself.

Hallelujah - IT EXISTS!!!!!!
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Icey, I still have the MS Sidewinder Precision Pro I bought ages ago. :p Unfortunately, my latest motherboard upgrade removed the game port connector, so I have no way of plugging it in anymore. But it lasted until today - not that it's seen much use over the past couple of years. And the joint between stick and base sometimes clacks when you turn it just so...

Erg.  Buy yourself a decent sound card (read: one that has a gameport).

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Ok, that is the most :wtf: statement I've ever read. Soundcards with gameports?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you get better precision with an old sound blaster + analog stick. the best usb seems to be able to do is 10 bit precision, where a game port can run about 16 bit.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
If I remember correctly, old game ports are the same as old midi ports for music keyboards and such, so I could see why a soundcard would offer it.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ok, that is the most :wtf: statement I've ever read. Soundcards with gameports?

ROFL.  Now I know how often you look at your hardware.

Offline Cyker

Not worth getting a gameport for the Sidewinders; If your compy doesn't come with one, chances are it won't work even if you get one for it due to MS' retarded design.

(A guy called Grendel on one of the sister sites, descentbb, made a box that converts a Sidewinder into a USB device, but alas I found out too late to buy one :()

The sticks themselves are awesome - Unlike most other sticks, which use resistance strips and pots, all the Sidewinders use optical sensors so the damned things never wear out!! ;)

I still have one plugged into my SB Live!, but I have to use it in analog mode (So the 8-way hat is only 4-way, and half the buttons don't work :( )

I really wish somebody would start making decent 'sticks again... I'm really not impressed with the ones available these days...

Offline Zenzic

• Nothing to See here, keep moving
hear hear Cyker.

Although i do like my X52.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Pardon me for getting an X-Fi! I was only upgrading from a SB16. :P

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

Pardon me for getting an X-Fi! I was only upgrading from a SB16. :P
LOL thats a fair upgrade I think :D  You managed to miss the crappy Audigy days...decent hardware encumbered by terrible drivers.  I hear the jury is still out on the X-Fi drivers although its better than before.

Saitek Cyborg Evo should do the trick as Mongoose points out.  Good sticks...I wanted something a bit heaftier this time around as I spend allot of time playing IL-2 Sturmovik and all of the expansions.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i wasnt to happy with my x-fi. it had some probs, first off no headers for front ports, no gameport, and the sound quality wasnt that much better over my old extigy, or even my older soundblaster live (which was on the computer i had built to play fs2 on). there were game ports before there were midi ports though. the idea was keep all the analog circuitry on one board. later as the midi standards emerged, sound card manufacturers wanted both midi controllers and joystick adcs on the same card,  so they just doubled them up on the same port.

game ports are fun to tweak with, you cross the right 2 pins through a 100k ohm potentiometer and its recognized as a joystick. really cool stuff. i would have perfered an extension to this legacy standard over usb any day. im actually contemplating designing a custom pci board which dumps the output of a bunch of high bit depth adcs into memory, for use in building custom joysticks. but i probibly lack the expertise. theres like a $10 circuit board on the net for buiilding your own usb joystick interface, complete with pre-programmed microcontroler, i think it was called the joy warrior, but it suffers from the one thing i always complain about, low bit depth, and every arc-second counts.  :mad:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:21:21 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN