Author Topic: Inspiration - HTL Ulysses  (Read 56623 times)

Offline Solatar

Re: Inspiration - HTL Ulysses
Fitting missiles under the wings of a ship is one thing, fitting three (you can't adjust how many are shown on a per weapon basis) missiles into an opening without knowing how big the missiles are is another.

If I space the weapon points and make the opening big enough so I can fit three harpoons/interceptors so they're fairly close together and look good three tempests will look weird just floating there. Other missiles are different sizes as well (although not as much as, say, a bomber that can carry Tempests and Cyclops).

The other scenario involves modeling three generic missiles in the pods and whatever you fire launches from them. When you're empty; they're stocked. When you're mounting X weapon; they're still generic missiles. If we're going to have a generic model "plate" over/around the missile launching area why not just make it like all the other fighters?

EDIT: If it gets to be too heated of an issue, why don't we see if two versions can be produced and compared? (if peterv is willing, of course)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Imagine if you tried to show Helio's on a Myrmidon.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Imagine if you tried to show Helio's on a Myrmidon.
that would be funny XD.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline bfobar

Yeah, I'd just go with the tubes. There's a ton of potential goofee looking problems trying to avoid it.

The only alternative I could think of would be some sort of subobject that has different tube sizes, small, medium, or large, depending on the size of missile in the bank. At least then your trebs come out of treb sized holes. That would require redoing all of the fighters though. And I'm sorry but I'm not going to volunteer for that.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
having correct missile models sticking out of ships, firing missiles could have new missiles "push out" and load into position. *puts a nuclear symbol on a searchlight and beams it at the sky*

why don't people see what exists before suggesting it be reinvented...
that's exactly how external missiles work right now! you specify which banks have visible missiles and it will draw the missile model at each point, when a missile is fired the model for that bank is pushed back behind a clipping plane (i.e. not drawn) and slowly moved back forward (the clipping plane only allows what is in front of it to be drawn), if there are only so many missile left it will not push them forward past that point. the system works really really really well, but a lot of people never test it out because they assume it doesn't work really well.

if you space your firing points out properly you can usually get an arrangement where you run out of firing points before you run out of missiles with large missiles
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Solatar

I've actually used it several times to add a few 'external' missiles to fighters (a Valkyrie with a few missiles strapped underneath, or an Apollo carrying a few light torpedoes).

Nifty little feature actually.:)

Offline peterv

Does eny off you pilots knows how a vasudan pilot suit look like?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Please refer to the briefing cutscene in Freepsace 1

Offline peterv

Sorry, i cannot find enything there.

EDIT: If it gets to be too heated of an issue, why don't we see if two versions can be produced and compared? (if peterv is willing, of course)

That's easy.

having correct missile models sticking out of ships, firing missiles could have new missiles "push out" and load into position. *puts a nuclear symbol on a searchlight and beams it at the sky*

why don't people see what exists before suggesting it be reinvented...
that's exactly how external missiles work right now! you specify which banks have visible missiles and it will draw the missile model at each point, when a missile is fired the model for that bank is pushed back behind a clipping plane (i.e. not drawn) and slowly moved back forward (the clipping plane only allows what is in front of it to be drawn), if there are only so many missile left it will not push them forward past that point. the system works really really really well, but a lot of people never test it out because they assume it doesn't work really well.

if you space your firing points out properly you can usually get an arrangement where you run out of firing points before you run out of missiles with large missiles

I'm not familiar whit this, are there any special futures that must  be added to the model?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:10:53 pm by peterv »

Offline Solatar

The secondary (or primary banks) can be set in the table on a model per model, bank per bank basis.

Upper half of Vasudan pilot suit over here:

Offline peterv

Right, thanks and my apologies to Mars. Anything for the lower part? Otherwise i'm afraid i'll have to improvise.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Right, thanks and my apologies to Mars. Anything for the lower part? Otherwise i'm afraid i'll have to improvise.
Yeah, there's that FS1 cbanimation. If anyone has FS1 installed on their computer, mind pulling it out?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Yeah, there's that FS1 cbanimation. If anyone has FS1 installed on their computer, mind pulling it out?
The FSPort won't do?

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
FSPort would do, yeah, but I don't have it installed at the moment.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Which cb anim then?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
To be honest, I have absolutely no idea.

Offline Solatar

I just looked at the cb_ani from FS1 (the tech on the Ulysses) and it appears to have been made from the game model, not the hi-poly one.

Offline peterv

After modifying the table here are the results, using 3 missile slots per side.
Now, the Ylysses uses by default 1 missile slot per side, which condratictes both the volition high poly model and the default model. My opinion is to use the default set for missile slots (1 slot per side, 1 visible missile per side), what's yours?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:53:40 am by peterv »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It looks really out of place. My advice would be to just leave the old skool nose cones visible, and we'll call them internal bay doors that open and close fast enough that you can't see the missiles coming out as they are launched.

That, and having open missile bays would be a bad idea considering the level of debris in battlefields... all it would take is one piece of metal getting stuck between a missile and the bay, and you get an internal missile firing. :shaking:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.