Author Topic: Starcraft 2: It's official.  (Read 36916 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Starcraft 2: It's official.
Oh yeah, this is so great. I always prayed for another starcraft game, and now it's finally true ( I like the announcement on blizzard, "hell, it's about time :D ")

I hope the story is as epic and good as it was in SC1 (though that's usually something, you can rest assured on by blizzard games).

MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
From what I saw, this game will be great. :yes: Am I the only one who noticed that the Terran marines are carrying some sort of shield now? Much like the footmen of Warcraft.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 03:00:48 pm by Sarafan »

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Yes, and Starcraft's gameplay was so underdeveloped, so poorly tweaked.
Well done, but what I mean is the RTS genre has evolved considerably since 1998. Even the presentation of SC2 seems to be old-fashioned - unit scale is all out of whack, land and air units appear to be on two different plains rather than actually in some kind of 3D space, 'hills' are not really hills but several levels of flat ground... I don't know. I suppose I just expected them to do more than make a glorified expansion pack.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll be tons of fun, it just seems a bit bland to me in the face of more recent RTSes.

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
But it's still just been announced... they've got plenty of time to change that also. I'm so fired up... and this came out on the perfect day too. Because I'm not in the middle of end of year exams or anything.

oh wait, I am. damn.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
They didn't change anything with the units...battlecruisers still fire ONE measly laser and are tiny..

Blizzard vcould learn a thing or two from C&C3.. a little thing called MULTIPLE WEAPONS/TURRETS...sheesh...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
the gameplay footage doesn't really knock my socks off,
For gods sake they just announced the game and you're expecting a ****ing real life simulation...

C'mon, remember now. We think before we post. M'kay StarSlayer?

Well I'm not particularly interested in an argument but, just to clarify that this isn't some hip shot analysis without any thought...

I certainly realize that this is early in its development, but if Blizzards willing to post video I don't see why I cannot have an opinion of it.  The CGI one of the suit up sequence looked very good, Blizzard has always done a good job in that department.  Some of the stuff they made for Ghost made that game's cancellation a bitter pill to swallow.  Considering the amount of money they make from the WoW racket Blizzard certainly has the resources to make a Gods Damn Ass Kicking Game To Rule All Others.  However, the game play video shows an engine that when fully refined will certainly compete well with the likes of C&C3 and will look very pretty, but unless they are going to rip the guts out and put in a new one I don't see it being the next giant leap in the RTS genre.   Generally from other games i have watched develop the base engine does not change once they have developed it as far as the vid in question displays, so what I see now stands a decent chance of reflecting the end result.  I certainly maybe wrong and would be happy to be wrong, but if the vid does indicate the final result then it will be a impressive game but not something groundbreaking that shakes up the entire RTS genre.  Considering the success of the first one, and the amount of resources Blizzard has, i would hope the developers would shoot for the latter rather then the former.

That's just my opinion.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Remember how Starcraft looked like crap when it was first announced? Give Blizzard a break.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
And before we get all negative and pessimistic of any hyped game, consider how people thought Metroid Prime was gonna turn out, and how it actually turned out. Anything is possible.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
Well I was a Total Annihilaton player back in the day so maybe i am biased but the gameplay footage doesn't really knock my socks off, especially compared to DoW which is getting to be a couple years old now.  Doing a little research and watchng some of the old Starcraft actually seems like 40K only the Space Marines are hicks.

Funny you mention that. On RelicForums, someone brought up that Starcraft and Warcraft are very similar to Warhammer and 40k. Apparently, one of those games (I forget which one they said it was) was actually supposed to be a Warhammer game, but for unknown reasons, Blizzard didn't get the license. One of the Relic employees even confirmed it.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
the gameplay footage doesn't really knock my socks off,
For gods sake they just announced the game and you're expecting a ****ing real life simulation...

C'mon, remember now. We think before we post. M'kay StarSlayer?

Well I'm not particularly interested in an argument but, just to clarify that this isn't some hip shot analysis without any thought...

I certainly realize that this is early in its development, but if Blizzards willing to post video I don't see why I cannot have an opinion of it.  The CGI one of the suit up sequence looked very good, Blizzard has always done a good job in that department.  Some of the stuff they made for Ghost made that game's cancellation a bitter pill to swallow.  Considering the amount of money they make from the WoW racket Blizzard certainly has the resources to make a Gods Damn Ass Kicking Game To Rule All Others.  However, the game play video shows an engine that when fully refined will certainly compete well with the likes of C&C3 and will look very pretty, but unless they are going to rip the guts out and put in a new one I don't see it being the next giant leap in the RTS genre.   Generally from other games i have watched develop the base engine does not change once they have developed it as far as the vid in question displays, so what I see now stands a decent chance of reflecting the end result.  I certainly maybe wrong and would be happy to be wrong, but if the vid does indicate the final result then it will be a impressive game but not something groundbreaking that shakes up the entire RTS genre.  Considering the success of the first one, and the amount of resources Blizzard has, i would hope the developers would shoot for the latter rather then the former.

That's just my opinion.
I'd agree that its not likely to be an earthshattering RTS game.  I'm not sure if thats what everyone wants anyways.  I'd be very happy with an upgraded StarCraft with new graphics, new units and possible strategy combinations, and more refinement of some of the old things that bugged me rather than something absolutely ground breaking.  I think Supreme Commander is meant to be the more earth shattering RTS game...not sure if it is but that seemed to be the direction they were going.  I think we can expect allot of refinement, allot of style, an epic storyline, multiplayer matchup technology that is the envy of all of the other RTS games and a fair bit of class in SC2.  But I don't think they were going with earth shattering...

So this is probably a good thing :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't want earthshattering, I want a good Starcraft title, in much the same way I neither wanted nor got earthshattering out of C&C3: I got a good C&C title. So there.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
They didn't change anything with the units...battlecruisers still fire ONE measly laser and are tiny..

Blizzard vcould learn a thing or two from C&C3.. a little thing called MULTIPLE WEAPONS/TURRETS...sheesh...

The only screenshot I've seen of a battlecruiser is this one and none of them is firing.

Where have you seen it in action? :blah:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've never so much as played a minute of any of Blizzard's games, but even I'm excited about this.  South Korea is partyin' tonight. :D

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
MAXIMUM WOOTAGE!!!
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

The only screenshot I've seen of a battlecruiser is this one and none of them is firing.

Where have you seen it in action? :blah:

There's a couple of them in this video.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

I've never so much as played a minute of any of Blizzard's games...

Wish I could trade places with you on that one.

I've not been impressed by any of the Blizzard games that I've played, though I will say that StarCraft probably could have been a good experience, if I had picked up on it earlier.  Instead, I only bought it after playing other RTS games that had picked up the StarCraft formula and refined it into something much greater than their progenitor.  I really spoiled myself by trying to work backwards through the evolution of the genre.

If Blizzard isn't making any effort to update StarCraft's gameplay for the sequel, I think that even the people squeeling like boyband groupies are going to be disappointed when they shell out $50.00 for a game that looks new and feels a decade past its use-by date.  On the other hand, if they fine-tune the gameplay, so that it plays like newer games in the RTS genre while maintaining the classic atmosphere of StarCraft, they'll have another hit on their hands.

Either way, I'm probably not buying it.  I've gambled on hype about Blizzard's games and lost too many times for me to try it again.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I've never even played a single Blizzard game that I know of. I spent most of my early years playing games the people around me had never even heard about.

(Ermmm, I only know WarCraft and StarCraft though. Sorry. )
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I dunno. I would've liked to play Starcraft: Ghost (assuming it would've made it to PC platform) or even "World of Starcraft" (probably announced within 3 years after SC2 anyway) because I feel that playing one character in a well built universe is so much more rewarding than the classic RTS types. The classic RTS genre lacks the personal feeling where you try to manage a whole army instead of one character.

I still liked the original SC and BW though, too bad it was almost always about rushing. That's the bane of all RTS', just build a mass of cheap units and storm the enemy. Game over. Supreme Commander did well to negate rushing thanks to great defenses, but a good rush will still bring down any defense.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I still liked the original SC and BW though, too bad it was almost always about rushing. That's the bane of all RTS', just build a mass of cheap units and storm the enemy. Game over. Supreme Commander did well to negate rushing thanks to great defenses, but a good rush will still bring down any defense.
It would do well for you to add the letters "I", "M" and "O" somewhere in there...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
i have just watched the video with the battle cruisers and its firing lasers pretty rapid from different points from the front at different targets which is different from the original which was just on blast every few seconds. Also one of the videos has one of the blizzard reps saying that it is a work in progress and it isn't the final version.

Anyway i don't want a groundbreaking idea's in starcraft, i like the way the original played, fun, easy to learn and lots of fun to play, i still play it to day, i would like the same as that with the an epic storyline like the first game, but with ingame cutsences as well, but most of all i really can't wait for the rendered cutsences because blizzards are just so beautifull.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 04:40:57 am by starbug »
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-