Author Topic: Starcraft 2: It's official.  (Read 36845 times)

Offline starfox

Re: Starcraft 2: It's official.
Wow....this is certainly super-news, always liked Starcraft ! :yes:
Makes me want to "excavate" SC1 & Brood war from the depths of my "bottomless box"
Can't wait this one really....
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Blizzard is re-hashing the same old story..

Cliches become cliches because, on some level, they work.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
But usually you take somone elses story elements to copy...not your own over and over again. :rolleyes:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Raven, something that I think you are missing here about peoples reaction to the game is this. It's a return to one of the best (and in a lot of peoples opinion, the absolute best) singleplayer campaigns out there. Say what you will with how the game looks and plays, but one thing where Blizzard always stands strong is in their story telling. You can argue all you want on how a game looks and plays, but in the case of StarCraft, if there is one element that matters the most it's the story line. We've been waiting almost a decade to see what happens with Raynor, Kerrigan, and Zeratul and now we get that chance. Thats why a lot of people are happy about this game.

And something that I think you are missing is that I can still voice my opinion at will, and bash at Blizzard how much I like and think they deserve.
Also, if the masses bow down and lick Blizzards middles, even if they do subpar games, it certainly doesnt mean I will.

Ive been waiting almost a decade to know what will happen to Raynor, Kerrigan and their granny. That however doesnt mean I have to play a subpar game to find out. Id rather read a starcraft wikki, thanks... and ill certainly will in the faint hope that the story will be something new.
But of course, theres also the big possibility that the future of the SC is unveiled already in WoW (will be new for me nonetheless though, dont play WoW) :rolleyes:
Saying Blizzard is strong in their storytelling.... well Trashman said all that there was to be said about their current storytelling habilities....

And hell, one thing is cliche (which is fine to an extent), another is having LOTR where Gandalf is named Jack, Sauron is named Kheila, oh and elves are called martians and use machine guns instead of bows...
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
This is a company that cancelled a game that was near 100% completion because they didn't think it was good enough.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
What game was that?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Starcraft Ghost.

And no they cancelled it because the company making it (cant remember the name) wasnt in the mood to take any kind of crap from them. They wanted to make a better game than Blizzard can do atm
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
I think Mr. Vega was referring to Warcraft Adventures. I'm not sure how far along Starcraft Ghost was in development, but I think it's quite possible it shares the same fate. What a shame. After I got over the initial nerd rage of Blizzard making a game for consoles, I was really looking forward to playing it.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Well, I dunno about that one, in fact never heard of it before (then again, damn glad I didnt :P )

Raven is a god.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Yep that'd be WarCraft Adventures. Apparently it just wasn't good enough and it was canned.  Pretty controversial.  But I guess when you're already very well established and you play by your own rules it works out.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline xgmx

• lol fake user
    • Descent Energy
I saw this on the Blizzard website and Battle.Net website on May 19th.

ya, StarCraft 2 is supposed to bring back the original StarCraft: BroodWar ladder.

For those of you who play StarCraft and have played in March 2007 or before, you know what I mean by Ladder.

Offline Fergus

A new RTS has been announced by Blizzard.  They're one of the few developers I trust to make a completely awesome game, the fact that it's a continuation of Starcraft just makes things much better.  Can't wait.
Generic signature quote blabber

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I don't want to skew off track but as long as Blizzard don't go porting anything to console a'la C&C3 on xbox. I'll be happy.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Starcraft Ghost.

And no they cancelled it because the company making it (cant remember the name) wasnt in the mood to take any kind of crap from them. They wanted to make a better game than Blizzard can do atm

Come on, Ghost was ****ty and they were write to cancel it, and the company whose name you don't remember (me neither) would certainly not concel their own game just because Blizzard pissed them off, get real. You don't shoot yourself because your employer *****es at you, do you? :doubt:.

And yeah, Starcraft Adventure was canned for the same reason and, well, from what I remember from it, it was a good call too.

Never been a fan of Starcraft ( I prefer Warcraft, though the way they're heading to does not please me, with these crappy sci-fi draenei and the whole "the burning legion are like Halo's Covenant, friggin' demon-looking aliens, and the Light (supposedly a religion to start with) is the same, some goddamn aliens. I miss the Warcraft 1 mood...), but the game looks fun, so I'm looking forward to it (plus I'm big on pretty cutscenes, so I don't care if the game is so-so, which is rarely the case with Blizzard anyway -if you except their tendancy to make stupidely hard extensions for their games - gah, Beyond the Dark Portal ><).
SCREW CANON!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
WEll, run a search about SC Ghost, you will see that it was cancelled because the company doing it and Blizzard had some misunderstandings... obviously the company doing it couldnt continue because Blizzard is the IPs owner.
Oh and for the record, that was the second company that was having a go at Ghost (the first one had some probs as well... cant remember the whole story).
From this, I can only assume that the probs those companies had with Ghost, were of the same nature that those dudes at Flagship studios and Arenanet had beforel.

And ghost was not ****ty, atleast from what we could see: seemed like a Splinter Cell meets Unreal sortoff, which was a cool thing IMO (or on the very least, kindof new)... also, the graphics\art were well more "advanced" than from the crap you see on Blizzards current games, which are a bunch of boxes thrown toghether, painted with the fill bucket tool (exageration, but you get the point :P ). You may not like the style of the game (or not game in this situation :P ), but it wasnt being badly done.

Call me eyecandy lover all you want. But nowadays, atleast for me, I think its both inexcusable for a company with Blizzards resources to deliver games with crappy graphics, no matter how the gameplay is. Note that I feel the same when a game has super-graphics, but ****ty gameplay.

Raven is a god.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WEll does anione have any real idea as to when the game will be released. Cuz if they plan on releasing it by 2009 then we have a long way to go before we game our greedy little hands on it and blast the hell out of the zerg and protos or terrans and zerg.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
WEll, run a search about SC Ghost, you will see that it was cancelled because the company doing it and Blizzard had some misunderstandings... obviously the company doing it couldnt continue because Blizzard is the IPs owner.
Oh and for the record, that was the second company that was having a go at Ghost (the first one had some probs as well... cant remember the whole story).
From this, I can only assume that the probs those companies had with Ghost, were of the same nature that those dudes at Flagship studios and Arenanet had beforel.

And ghost was not ****ty, atleast from what we could see: seemed like a Splinter Cell meets Unreal sortoff, which was a cool thing IMO (or on the very least, kindof new)... also, the graphics\art were well more "advanced" than from the crap you see on Blizzards current games, which are a bunch of boxes thrown toghether, painted with the fill bucket tool (exageration, but you get the point :P ). You may not like the style of the game (or not game in this situation :P ), but it wasnt being badly done.

Call me eyecandy lover all you want. But nowadays, atleast for me, I think its both inexcusable for a company with Blizzards resources to deliver games with crappy graphics, no matter how the gameplay is. Note that I feel the same when a game has super-graphics, but ****ty gameplay.

Mmmh, not gonna comment on the rest, I don't see things as you do, which is fair enough, but regarding the visuals, honestly... all the ingame videos of ghost I've seen really looked "2000", not state of the art graphics (heck, it reeks of Renegade - the Westwood game - excepted it was to be a couple years late), and, on the other hand, these videos from starcraft2 on youtube do look kickass to me. I am the first one to agree that WoW visuals are subpar ( which is odd, there's a couple trully impressive places in there, like that core chamber where you choose the different instances in Blackrock, with the huge rock hold by huge chains over lava, the lighting and all make it look awesome), if you compair it to, say, Lineage2 (which looks better AND runs better, shame on Blizz'), it quite franckly looks bad (even more so since I don't like the visual theme they chose, that cartoonish look of theirs, which totally hurts compared to the ubber cutscenes), and yeah, warcraft3 didn't look great (that's an euphemism) either when it was released. I'm also very disapointed by the fact they still don't care about scales in Starcraft2 (these tiny battlecruisers hurt my eyes), but that aside, it really does look good, so I can't understand your gripe regarding that.
As for gameplay... well I'm not much of a fan of RTS ( I like warcraft, but mainly for the fluff -well, up till Burning Crusade ), I prefer straight-to-battle games such as Mark of Chaos, all that resource gathering, unit building stuff is just tedious to me, that's why I didn't play through Dawn of War, which had otherwise kickass combats, so I'm not gonna comment on that, it's Blizzard's turf, I'm not gonna criticize it based on my own tastes.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

The second studio that was working on SC Ghost was owned by Blizzard for a year before the game was canceled.  :wtf:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn

Mmmh, not gonna comment on the rest, I don't see things as you do, which is fair enough, but regarding the visuals, honestly... all the ingame videos of ghost I've seen really looked "2000", not state of the art graphics (heck, it reeks of Renegade - the Westwood game - excepted it was to be a couple years late), and, on the other hand, these videos from starcraft2 on youtube do look kickass to me. I am the first one to agree that WoW visuals are subpar ( which is odd, there's a couple trully impressive places in there, like that core chamber where you choose the different instances in Blackrock, with the huge rock hold by huge chains over lava, the lighting and all make it look awesome), if you compair it to, say, Lineage2 (which looks better AND runs better, shame on Blizz'), it quite franckly looks bad (even more so since I don't like the visual theme they chose, that cartoonish look of theirs, which totally hurts compared to the ubber cutscenes), and yeah, warcraft3 didn't look great (that's an euphemism) either when it was released. I'm also very disapointed by the fact they still don't care about scales in Starcraft2 (these tiny battlecruisers hurt my eyes), but that aside, it really does look good, so I can't understand your gripe regarding that.
As for gameplay... well I'm not much of a fan of RTS ( I like warcraft, but mainly for the fluff -well, up till Burning Crusade ), I prefer straight-to-battle games such as Mark of Chaos, all that resource gathering, unit building stuff is just tedious to me, that's why I didn't play through Dawn of War, which had otherwise kickass combats, so I'm not gonna comment on that, it's Blizzard's turf, I'm not gonna criticize it based on my own tastes.

Well then there you have it, the Lineage vs WoW thingy just proves what I say. Among another number of things. But that aside all its left is the gameplay, which isnt much different from what you see from some games already (mentioned DoA for that reason, the gameplays of both are very similar, yet DoA looks much better, etc). The gameplay style of resource gathering and all that is not my cup of tea either, but thats not my point in this actually.

My "gripe" regarding SC2 is exactly that. The graphics are sub-par (euphemism too :P ), the gameplay is the same (not a bad thing, but since their not directing their efforts to that department, its only logical they do in others), their maps are extruded cubes (thats the worse of it, my jaw dropped when I saw a Protoss Immortal going through a "hill" like if it wasnt there). And of course, like you mentioned, that cartoonish style is awfull, becoz it doesnt look cartoonish at all :P
Even more, my gripe is that SC is going to be the second Blizzard universe they seem to be going to screw up, due to poor execution in their games. And im fond of their universes.

The second studio that was working on SC Ghost was owned by Blizzard for a year before the game was canceled.  :wtf:

My turn to state the obvious?! :P

Of course they were "owned" (more like a direct subsidiary) by Blizzard, for the purpose of developig SC Ghost. Much on the same way that Blizzard North was owned by Blizzard for the purpose of developing the Diablo series, before they disbanded.
Only being there for only 1 year, and then Ghost being cancelled, is a testament that there were misunderstandings.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:43:46 pm by Raven2001 »

Raven is a god.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
You know Raven... perhaps Blizzard is intentionally aiming for simple game mechanics? Literally Starcraft with new graphics, for nostalgia sake. Or maybe they are just lazy because they have a bazillion koreans ready to pay. Doom3 with "monster closets" was a salute to the classics. It was stupid, but still sold.

Bottom line is that you've made your views clear already. And your cause is a lost one because you sure as hell won't be able to convince the gigazillion koreans about how crap this game will be when it's release in 16+ months.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...