Author Topic: Your personal Shivan theory  (Read 22671 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Your personal Shivan theory
Oops.  I thought you meant FS was supposed to have a simple explanation.  My bad, I get it now.  And, just because it's simple, doesn't make it easy to undo.  ;7

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Eh, how about they were created for the highest bidder?  Like the clones in Star Wars.  They are a weapon created by a race who created weapons for sale to other races.  FS1 and FS2 Shivans were purchased by different customers at different times for different functions/strategies.

Then, some maniac created a super virus that unbound their hive mind from their commanders, and gave them a hate for all life.  This virus was capable of infecting all Shivans, as it used the master code built into them to control them if they ever went crazy or were used by someone to try and take over the designers' planetary system(s).  It was transmitted through... subspace! :)

OK, that could probably use some refining, but, what do you think?

Uh... Hope you didn't put too much thought into that one because I really don't like it. :blah:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I put a lot of thought into it.  This is the result of years of plotting... not.  I made it up as I typed, taking all of about 1-2 minutes.

And, just because it's simple, doesn't make it easy to undo.  ;7

True enough. But like I said "simple" just isn't the right word. "Commonplace" isn't either... I just can't think of a good word to use... :sigh:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Mediocre?

I don't agree that FS2 is less creepy than FS1 as someone pointed out earlier in the the thread, or that the mystery and awe of the Shivans disappears in FS2. In fact I think FS2 builds upon their power tremendously. The horror of the Shivans in FS2 is in their sheer incomprehensible numbers and the overwhelming power of their fleet, whereas in FS1 it was the invincibility of their technology.

GTVA technology catches up to the Shivans to the point where the Collosaus defeats the Sathanas, and we all think it was such a huge victory until we realize the Sathanas is not a single dreadnaught but merely a Shivan heavy capital ship class and they have an entire fleet of them. I remember first playing FS2 and being stunned to near silence by just how unstoppable the Shivans are, particularily in the game's apocalyptic final missions.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Oh, I don't think so. The Shivans are just as mysterious (maybe even more so) at the end of FS2 than they were at FS1.

I tend to agree. At the end of FS1 the Shivans were yet another xenophobic race that wants to kill anything they find. At the end of FS2 it's obvious that that is either not their goal or a minor goal compared to whatever they were doing with Capella.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I think with every fs game to come out you get shown another side of the shivans. This is highly comparative to seeing another side to a god.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Who knows, maybe in FS3 Bosch was meant to return as a super-shivan-powered god.

I apologise for placing the sacred characters together in an unholy order my bretheren.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Hmmmm, unholy or not, the only way to call effessthree, correctly is by the original correct unholy name of FS3. This is like people who say freakin'-a, oh fudge, when the real word is F.U.C.K.

That's right Friendliness, Unity, Caring, and Kindness. I don't see **** is so bad as ****-****-3
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Who knows, maybe in FS3 Bosch was meant to return as a super-shivan-powered god.

I apologise for placing the sacred characters together in an unholy order my bretheren.
That is highly UNLIKELY (and my bull**** meter also agrees)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's one of the two main possibilities. He either died (VERY VERY LIKELY) or became the super-Shivan-powered god (UNLIKELY).

Also, my theory rocks.

And, also:

:necro:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
My personal Shivan theory, succinctly, was that the Capella supernova was a mistake and that the jumpgate, as planned, would not have resulted in the destruction of the star, at least not until the juggernauts went through it.

Also, Bosch is in the bottom of a Shivan transport somewhere, being interrogated at random intervals.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Well, bosch i feel bad for bosch. The shivans that killed his crew and his crew in turn killed some of them were part of 2 different groups of shivans in the transport that bosch took when he left the iceni.

There was your normal "kill'em all" shivans, and there was the more curious "i wonder what the sex with aliens is like" shivans in the lower bowels of the transport where as Agent_Koopa said bosch resides.

These are the freaky shivans who are getting their funk down with admiral bosch.

(photo appreciation goes to hlp's carl the shivan for going down the catwalk in the right, and modeling in a pink thong with hairy legs in the left)

Now the next thing in mind is that we do not know is admiral bosch'es current condition. I mean him staying with the shivans that are getting their funk down with him combined with the fact that shivans are also really good at killing stuff without even thinking about it :shaking:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:15:42 am by S-99 »

SMBFD

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft

There was your normal "kill'em all" shivans, and there was the more curious "i wonder what the sex with aliens is like" Shivans in the lower bowels of the transport where as Agent_Koopa said bosch resides.

Now the next thing in mind is that we do not know is Admiral Bosch's current condition. I mean him staying with the Shivans that are getting their funk down with him combined with the fact that Shivans are also really good at killing stuff without even thinking about it :shaking:

For Bosch's sake, let's just hope they don't consider their plasma energy-claw things a part of their reproductive system.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Kieve

• Creative Hack
    • MechaSentient
It's four in the morning, I have to "wake up" for work in about an hour, so I'll make this concise.

I think if you're going to get anywhere with Shivan theories (aside from going straight to the source), your best bet is to think small.
It's more or less established that Shivans are a hive-mind culture, and yet I haven't seen anyone mention ants or bees or similar hive-based insects yet. Exoskeletal, ridiculous size/strength ratio, heck, even compound vision (seven "eyes"?)...

Let's have a look at some context. (I apologize for using Wikipedia - as I said, it's VERY late.)
I don't think it's correct to assume Shivans are a tool, simply because of their technological enhancements. Rather, consider them an introduced species. "Symptom of a larger problem," reads the quote? Context again: red fire ants are only one introduced species. What if the larger problem isn't any kind of galactic war or sleeper race, but pest control?

More interesting, could the Shivans be viewing US as the introduced species? (Terrans, Vasudans both?). Disturbances in the environment, in this case, Subspace. Not to label them environmental protectors, but perhaps a weird hybrid of territorial mindset and exterminator philosophy.
Yes, that one goes back to what was said earlier about stepping on their subspace turf, but perhaps for different reasons.

FS1 - Lucifer et al, perhaps a relocating "queen" Shivan looking to nest, and finding itself in hostile territory?

FS2 - The ants come boiling up out of the nebula to chew your feet off. Blowing up Capella... making more territory? More nebula and star material - maybe nebulas are as close to a 'natural' environment as a Shivan can get.

I'm rambling, so I'll stop now, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has thought in this sort of direction before, and where it ended up.
MechaSentient
Sometimes, people change.
Sometimes, they upgrade.
(Online webcomic - updates M/W/F)

:necro:

I guess we'll just never know... And honestly, I think it's better that way.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
OMG, SECRET NAZI THREAD!

*Will have to read it later*

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
what about... a super massive race..
increasing it's numbers into millions in just a second....from thousands and thousands of years of rought evolution...
just another great devourer, just like us, uncontrolled consumism adict race..
Not stopping at anything to get at their goal, survival...searching adecuate massive stars, from wich getting enought energy to keep their own existency in a fainting light of hope.

veryyy deepp jjajajaj :P
though this do not explains the impulse to bombard a planet just to massacre an entire race of opposers..
well.. not all has to have an explanation right?

rot

el hombre vicio...