Author Topic: Lone Sol  (Read 7745 times)

I am currently developing a FS2 campaign, entitled 'Lone Sol'.
The story line presently is:
The GTVA find a way to open a ONE WAY jump node (think stargate) to the sol system and send a special task force though it using experimental technology.
My campaign begins about 4 months after the capella star has been destroyed, and will finish with the task force succesfully opening a stable jump node back.
However there will be unforseen circumstances (as there always is) that make things hard for the task force.

I have already made the first three missions using FRED2 that take'a place before the task force departs.

Do anybody have any ideas what could happen if they where to regain contact with earth?
I would be grateful for ideas.
If however you don't like this idea then fair enough, i'm building this campaign simply because it's a interesting project to partake.
Thanks in advance!

------------------
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens
-------------------------
AKA Corporalpingree at the VBB.
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens

1. Celebrations

2. Rioting (Earth would once again want to be HQ of the alliance, but Delta Serpentis might have other ideas)

3. Terrorism (Some people from Sol might not like Vasudans very much)

etc, etc
Culloden - 16th April 1746

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
1/ Shivans are already there

2/ Vasudans have been living on a Terraformed Mars, but the Teraforming has failed (?) - the Vasudans and some sypaphisers rebel against the Terran government who refuse to relocate them

3/ Sol is divided into a battle between a dictatorial government & freedom fighters

4/ Sol rejects the taskforce, fearing they will eventually bring Shivans back to the system.

------------------
Searching for the very souls who've already been told

RECIPROCITY[/url]

[email protected]            

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
1. Sol has gone supernova for some inexplicable reason...

2. There is nothing at all in the system, no planets, debris, nothing...

3. Node no longer leads to Sol...

[This message has been edited by Thorn (edited 11-02-2001).]

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
After years of anarchy and a major revolution the people of Sol remember nothing good about the GTVA and resist.

They mistake the high-tech GTVA ships for some hostile aliens (good for only about 5 minutes of game there, but...)

The Shivans start using the artificial one-way node from who knows where and you have to fend them off before setting up the 2-way node... (should be a very, very tough campaign...)

I might be able to help with MODs, etc. as I have been trying to get a sol fic database of ships set up, got some pretty freaky stuff so far but conversions have been a problem...

Thanks for some of the input guys!
Judging by the feedback so far, it would be fair to assume that the taskforce in my story are not welcome when they reach the sol system, therefore many of the early missions could invovle minor skirmishes with a earth protection force as so to speak.
As for the Vasudans?
Any more idea's?

------------------
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Well... My fic has an anti-Vasudan purge immediately following the Great War, so there are almost none left alive, and certainly no Vasudan tech, but by the time contact with the GTVA is made Sol is pretty tolerant of Vasudans. Of course, I also pegged the GTVA-Sol contact at being 100 years behind schedule, and Sol having found enough of its own habitable systems to rival the GTVA, so I don't know how applicable my ideas on Sol and the GTVA are...

[This message has been edited by Stryke 9 (edited 11-03-2001).]

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Originally posted by aldo_14:
1/ Shivans are already there

Please, dear God, don't use this one. If the jump node to Earth is collapsed, how in the name of Zeus' butthole would the Shivans be able to get there ahead of the GTVA???

They wouldn't.

Why would the Shivans bother trying to get to Earth, anyway? It's a planet they can't reach and with Earth cut off from the rest of the GTVA, it doesn't seem that Earth would matter enough to the Shivans to make it a high-priority target.

There doesn't seem to be any way to rationalize the Shivans getting to Earth ahead of the GTVA.

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Agreed!

------------------
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by Su-tehp:
Please, dear God, don't use this one. If the jump node to Earth is collapsed, how in the name of Zeus' butthole would the Shivans be able to get there ahead of the GTVA???

They wouldn't.

Why would the Shivans bother trying to get to Earth, anyway? It's a planet they can't reach and with Earth cut off from the rest of the GTVA, it doesn't seem that Earth would matter enough to the Shivans to make it a high-priority target.

There doesn't seem to be any way to rationalize the Shivans getting to Earth ahead of the GTVA.

Ross 128.  To paraphrase you, how in the name of Zeus' butthole could the Lucifer travel to there, and blow up Riveira station without being noticed if it used only GTVA jumpnodes?  Why would it go to there, then work it's way back towards Sol?  Who says the Lucifer was the only Shivan super-ship?   How could the Sathanas travel into Gamma Draconis through the destroyed Knossos?  Why does it have a 'Knossos' tag in the tbl?

Also, why wouldn't the Shivans attack the cradle of humanity?  It's the C&C centre they attacked 35 years ago - why not finish the job?  Also, they are xenocidal - they would not stop until all of the GTVA was dead, like with the ancients.  Taking outSol would just be geting the easy bit out of the way, not to mention the potential resources from the former (probably still) largest developed system in the GTVA.

What if the Shivans realised that the (terran) GTVa would want back into Sol, and realised it would be the perfect location for a 'sucker-punch' or ambush?

------------------

RECIPROCITY[/url]

[email protected]            

Thanks aldo... took the words right outta my mouth.

------------------
I told you that It would be done by November, well, mostly anyway...
I told you that It would be done by November, well, mostly anyway...

I'm working on something new... shhhhh, it's a seceret.

Originally posted by aldo_14:
How could the Sathanas travel into Gamma Draconis through the destroyed Knossos?  Why does it have a 'Knossos' tag in the tbl?
[/B]

The Knossos portal had stabilised the jump node and as a result it made no difference whether the portal was there or not. The node still worked and thats how the sathanas got through to Gamma Draconis.

In any case and to much dissapointment to some of you i want a shivanless campaign after the intial prep missions before the task force goes through the experimental portal.
EG
Mission 1-3 Has shivans
Rest of campaign Terrans and Vasudans.

Idealy i want to concentrate on the strained reletionships in the Sol system between Terrans and Vasudans.
Any More ideas?

------------------
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens

Offline ^Graff

Multiple factions in Sol.  The task force is welcomed by one, but they eventually learn that the Faction only wants to use their ships to attack the other factions.  For a while, the task force is on their own, fending off attacks by multiple factions, without anywhere to resupply, having to resort to raiding, but eventually join up with one of the factions and the combined forces hold out long enough for the rest of the GTVA to arrive.
Originally posted by Anduril:
Dang, Graff, you good.  :)

Good idea!
Keep them roll'in!

------------------
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper

Originally posted by Su-tehp:

They wouldn't.

Capella, endgame movie.  There is no jump node near the Capella star, and yet all but two Sathanas juggernauts jump out.  Same with Ross 128.  Shivans have been documented to have the ability to travel through nodes previously thought too unstable for safe travel, or nodes completely unknown to the GTA (now GTVA).

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

"Oh and Kazan - you have some nice rocks" - Thunder

Material Defender Studios
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
You could have every thing noraml then after some strange events a ghost like aline race could have enslaved the planet which you have to save (using new technology to gain accsess to their travel ways (like subsapce)...
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

well... i tought about this... multiple factions... yes, what if Sol, particularly Earth had returned has it was before the discovery of Jumpgates? I mean, not an united earth, but a today-like one? Nations like USA, Russia, China, Japan, Great Britain, and so on... and GTVA fleet would had first be united, but then, old forgotten patriottism would again rise up? It would be a really nice campaign to play...   Beware Switzerland's fleet...
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Multiple factions is a excellent idea, however i would really like to concentrate on a strained relationship between Terrans and Vasudans!
Give more feedback please?!

------------------
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens

well... vasudans that still were in sol space went into hiding, and after many decades spent on rebuilding their strenght (an intelligence one, a secret one) they began preparations to ultimately take over earth itself... and when GTVA arrives into sol space, everything becames more complicated... they triy to bribe some of the vasudan forces...the goal to take earth itself as a retaliation for the loss of Vasuda Prime (i didn't play Silent Threat, so i don't know that part of the) story...) using the widely spread sense of "We hate humans".... in an escalation that will maybe bring to a new GTA-Vasudan war?... who knows... too many ideas in the same time... (think of a sort of NTF, only vasudan...)

[This message has been edited by CmdKewin (edited 11-07-2001).]
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by sergeantpingree:
Multiple factions is a excellent idea, however i would really like to concentrate on a strained relationship between Terrans and Vasudans!
Give more feedback please?!

Planetary wars?

I like the idea of having a Terra-Vasudan faction.... i think it would make a nice change to the Vasudan HOL and Terran NTF in the Fs1&2 campaigns.

------------------

RECIPROCITY[/url]

[email protected]