Author Topic: Want to use the enhanced textures - how do I do this?  (Read 2652 times)

Want to use the enhanced textures - how do I do this?
Hi.  I've got the big box game of Freespace 2 (bought in 2000) and have recently reinstalled the game to play through.  I've heard about the new textures and models available, but I'm not sure how to get these working within the game.

Can someone please tell me step by step what I need to download and how I get the textures etc. working within the game.

Noob needs help please. 

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Want to use the enhanced textures - how do I do this?
*cough*tureysinstaller*cough*

Thanks.  Just downloaded it and it downloading a load of files for me..  How long does the process take?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Depends on if you download the full game or simply update the Retail install you already have (the more sensible choice if you haven't installed any mods before).

Similarly you shouldn't download the cutscenes because you can simply copy them from your CDs.

That said you're still talking about maybe a gigabyte of data still depending on what else you did select.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Damn I selected everything and it was taken ages, even though I have the full retail game installed.  Just exited the installer, how do I go about undoing what it installed?  I also chose the directory that Freespace 2 is in already, is this wrong?

I'm going to do it again, what options do I need, just the textures?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Basically you want everything except the retail stuff. It will still take a long time to download. Or you can just install the mediavps and then update when you sleep or something.

Then just copy all the .mve files from Disk 2 & 3 into your main FS2 folder.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Basically you want everything except the retail stuff. It will still take a long time to download. Or you can just install the mediavps and then update when you sleep or something.

Then just copy all the .mve files from Disk 2 & 3 into your main FS2 folder.

Actually, the only thing he shouldn't select is the FS2 OGG cutscenes. The Installer won't download any of the retail files unless they are missing or not the right version (For example, if he hasn't updated to 1.06.)

Just select everything but those FS2 cutscenes (And anything with "OSX" or "Mac" in it), and you'll be fine.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Actually, the only thing he shouldn't select is the FS2 OGG cutscenes. The Installer won't download any of the retail files unless they are missing or not the right version (For example, if he hasn't updated to 1.06 1.20.)

Hello, fellow FS1 junkie... :p :lol:  Actually, latest FS1 patch is 1.06EAX, latest FS2 is 1.20, as seen above.  ;)

I tried using the installer again.  The top few boxes (freespace 2 core etc) I couldn't untick.  Freespace port?  Is this for freespace 2?  I ticked the glow maps and shine maps etc.  It started downloading and then it said the OGGcut scene was out of date and started downloading a massive file so I exited the installer.  Thing is I never tick the OGG box. 

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm, did you check the "select all" box in the screen before that?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I tried using the installer again.  The top few boxes (freespace 2 core etc) I couldn't untick.  Freespace port?  Is this for freespace 2?  I ticked the glow maps and shine maps etc.  It started downloading and then it said the OGGcut scene was out of date and started downloading a massive file so I exited the installer.  Thing is I never tick the OGG box. 

Did you select the "FreeSpace 1 Cutscenes" box?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.