Author Topic: What do you mean i can't run the game!?  (Read 13687 times)

Offline Ryan

What do you mean i can't run the game!?
I'm waiting for freespace 2 to install. it and the graphics/sound stuff from an installer i found on the site. after it was finished, i learn my video card doesen't have the freespace 2 stuff....

So, can anybody please tell me what to do to make the game run?  :confused:

I really like this game, its fun, i played it beforfe, these improvments to the graphics sound fun, my sytstem is:

Windows XP
2.08 ghz
448mb Ram
64mb video card

Thanks for any help, and

DEATH TO THE SHIVANS!!!!!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: What do you mean i can't run the game!?
i learn my video card doesen't have the freespace 2 stuff....

:wtf: Would you mind specifying what Freespace 2 "stuff"?

And you could stand to have some more RAM. But that shouldn't be the cause of whatever your problem is.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 03:09:19 pm by thesizzler »

Offline Ryan

i learn my video card doesen't have the freespace 2 stuff....

:wtf: Would you mind specifying what Freespace 2 "stuff"?

And you could stand to have some more RAM. But that shouldn't be the cause of whatever your problem is.

It says i need 3d Software to run it. That the video card does not have.

Do you know where i can dl the retail version if i can't run this?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Do you have OpenGL? I think you need it. What graphics card do you have?

BTW, retail is required to run FSO. There are DL links here : http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38195.0.html

Offline Ryan

Do you have OpenGL? I think you need it. What graphics card do you have?

BTW, retail is required to run FSO. There are DL links here : http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38195.0.html

This is going to sound stupd but i don't know how to find out.

And wiki says free space 2 is 250mb thing. the download i saw was 3 times that for 1 disk. s the hades one the retail normal one? i think the thing that i dl'ed incuded the game. but i can't run it with the extra specs

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
IIRC, the HOTU version is 250mb. The HOTU version has no voice, movies, animations, and only very very very low-res effects. The real retail version of FS 2 has three CDs.

You don't have OpenGL. OpenGL is a 3d accelerator, and is required for FSO. If you want, you could try some old builds of FSO that still have Direct 3d compatibility, but they aren't going to look so good. Otherwise, your screwed. You'd have to stick with retail until you get a more recent card.

To find out your graphics card:

1: right click on "my computer"
2: go to manage
3: go to "device manager" in the left box
4: then in the large box on the right, look for "display adapters". It's in there.

Offline Ryan

Ok, found it, its a VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP

Where can i find the low res one? even if it looks a little better then the original Freespace 2, i'm ok. I want to take screen shoots to school and get more to play!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Ok. I have never heard of that card, so it probably sucks.

http://scp.indiegames.us/download.php?list.9

there are all the old builds. You can probably also find some old stuff that you can run on that site, too.

Offline Ryan

Thanks! what version do you think would run best on my computer?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Depends on how you define best. Start with the most recent old build, and if doesn't work as well as you want it to, then work your way down the list.

Offline Ryan

Depends on how you define best. Start with the most recent old build, and if doesn't work as well as you want it to, then work your way down the list.

Thanks. It took so long to install before, so i wont take any chances. ill download the most oldest version.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Your computer isn't that bad. In fact, all it needs to run the current, modern version is a new gfx card.

Offline Ryan

Thanks, But i don't know whitch version doesen't need that.

I think ill install the original Freespace 2 and play that abit, then install a 43 mb version 3.5 or 3.6

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

Where can i find the low res one? even if it looks a little better then the original Freespace 2, i'm ok. I want to take screen shoots to school and get more to play!

Sorry, you're screwed with using Freespace Open. The VIA/S3 chips don't support OpenGL unfortunately - however, you can run the game in DirectX8, as long as you don't use the new effects (as I believe they are alpha blended - try it with them enabled, if you don't get white boxes then you're  ok). Go to the Launcher, go to the Video tab, and select "DirectX 8". :)

Offline Ryan

Sorry, you're screwed with using Freespace Open. The VIA/S3 chips don't support OpenGL unfortunately - however, you can run the game in DirectX8, as long as you don't use the new effects (as I believe they are alpha blended - try it with them enabled, if you don't get white boxes then you're  ok). Go to the Launcher, go to the Video tab, and select "DirectX 8". :)

I'm going to sound like an idiot to you, but i don't know how to switch. it says only direct X 9.0 were do i un update to 8.0?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
:wtf:

I think UT means Direct 3D8, not DirectX 8.

Offline Ryan

Once again im an idiot, not the best with computers, but where do i dl direct3d8?

Offline Ryan

OK, ive givin up on sfreespace open, but i have 1 more question:

i have the choices of core files, sounds, animations, and high quality graphics. Do i need the better video card for those?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
You can't run those without freespace open.

Offline Ryan

Right then. Off to Google land i go!