Author Topic: Half Life 2: Deathmatch and Lost Coast available free to Ati owners  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Half Life 2: Deathmatch and Lost Coast available free to Ati owners
http://www.steampowered.com/ati_offer1a/

It detects if you have an ATi card and off you go. As much as I hate HL2, the multi is great fun, and ironically enough, Lost Coast was the best HL2 level in the entire game (even though it wasn't actually part of the game). So I do recommend it...kind of.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: Half Life 2: Deathmatch and Lost Coast available free to Ati owners
I win again!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hehe, how much is the cheapest ATi PCI card on eBay?  :lol:  Temporarily swap out with my nVidia, and... :drevil:

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Oh noes! My computer's internet is broken and I have to use someone else's computer!

Which is very, odd. My computer is on a lan, and it's the only one that ever breaks. I know it's not the cable, because I tried it with like twelve different ones.

And jr2, either I'm just not used to 1024x768, or your siggy takes up half my monitor.

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
Wait, they weren't free already?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
@thesizzler:  What is your setup?  You are on a LAN, with the university?  Do you have to manually specify an IP address and / or DNS server, or do you use DHCP? 

Try the "Repair" function, right-click on your connection from
Control Panel>Network Connections (Classic View)
or
Control Panel>Network and Internet Connections>Network Connections (Category View)
then hit "Repair"

Try running a ping command from the cmd prompt:
ping www.google.com
-See if there is a response.

Try running ipconfig /all from a cmd prompt, what does that give you?  (Use the directions for posting your FS2 directory in my siggy, except instead of typing dir /s "C:\Games\FreeSpace2"> type in ipconfig /all> )

Other things you could try:
In the advanced properties of your Ethernet card, (System Properties->Hardware->Device Manager) check and see what your connection rate is.  Sometimes if it's set to "Auto", it will work if set to "Force 100 Full Duplex" (or the correct setting for your connection) -- just remember what it was set to when you start, and put it back, if changing it doesn't help.

I hope something helps here.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
@thesizzler:  What is your setup?  You are on a LAN, with the university?  Do you have to manually specify an IP address and / or DNS server, or do you use DHCP? 

Try the "Repair" function, right-click on your connection from
Control Panel>Network Connections (Classic View)
or
Control Panel>Network and Internet Connections>Network Connections (Category View)
then hit "Repair"

Try running a ping command from the cmd prompt:
ping www.google.com
-See if there is a response.

Try running ipconfig /all from a cmd prompt, what does that give you?  (Use the directions for posting your FS2 directory in my siggy, except instead of typing dir /s "C:\Games\FreeSpace2"> type in ipconfig /all> )

Other things you could try:
In the advanced properties of your Ethernet card, (System Properties->Hardware->Device Manager) check and see what your connection rate is.  Sometimes if it's set to "Auto", it will work if set to "Force 100 Full Duplex" (or the correct setting for your connection) -- just remember what it was set to when you start, and put it back, if changing it doesn't help.

I hope something helps here.
I am on a lan at home. My internet works sometimes, it seems if you accidently unplug the cable, it doesn't work 9even if plugged back in) for about a day. I already tried the ipconfig stuff, and when I try renewing the connection it says it can't connect to the DHPC server, but when it does work, it says DNS.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hrm.  Do you have a router?  OK, what does your compy / router hook up to?  A Cable Modem, or a DSL Modem, or something else?

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I love steam. It won't even let you decide where to install the games...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Hrm.  Do you have a router?  OK, what does your compy / router hook up to?  A Cable Modem, or a DSL Modem, or something else?

DSL

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Figures.  In my experience so far (2 users), DSL is teh suck.  OK, call your Provider up and give them the lowdown.  See if they can walk you through it.  What is your provider, anyways?  What model modem are they using?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I actually don't know :ick:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Try looking on the bill for a number to call...  They really ought to be able to fix this for you.  (After all, you are paying them for the service...)  BTW, if it's an option, I'd recommend switching to cable.  Usually much faster.  (10x, IIRC... same as between a properly functioning dial-up connection, and a properly functioning DSL connection... both seem to be rare.)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Wait, they weren't free already?

i'm thinking this also.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yes, I think they were already free for HL2 owners.

I have an ATI card (and the game, for that matter), but I'm not about to install steam again just for this. :p

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
It's just a demo completed in 10 minutes anyway, not worth the trouble.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
It was a "tech demo" showing off HDR and stuff like that, more than anything if I recall correctly.  I had already bought HL2, and had these long before the ATI promo came along. 

Now.. Darwinia.. That's something worth getting..  Shoulda avoided the Steam version though.