Author Topic: Can't seem to get a solid install of FS2 Open - Can't get FS1 cutscenes to work  (Read 3457 times)

Can't seem to get a solid install of FS2 Open - Can't get FS1 cutscenes to work
Hey everyone,

I stumbled across this after playing the BtRL demo (which floored me) and I was quite excited- I played a ton of FS1 and FS2 back in the day and plan to play through them both again with all of the incredible upgrades.

My problem here is that I'm having a difficult time getting a good solid install of FS2 Open. I tried the Freespace Open Installer and it was incredibly easy to get going, and the textures/graphics all looked upgraded and incredible, but I was plagued with the "robot voice" over all of the parts that I remember distinctly had professional voice acting. Did a little bit of forum digging and found that this is a "bug". Couldn't find a solution so I uninstalled it.

So then I gave the Freespace 2 SCP DVD .torrent a download, burnt it to a disc, and installed it. This one has preserved original FS2 voices (awesome!) but didn't seem to have upgraded graphics. I redownloaded all of the *.VP files from the FS2 SCP site (http://scp.indiegames.us/download.php?list.2) and put them in the directory, which solved that problem. My problem with this method is that I really want to send this info out to a lot of friends, and I'm positive the vast majority won't be able to figure it out. Was I doing something wrong here?

Also, the FS1 (FreeSpace Port 3) "mod" in the FreeSpace 2 SCP DVD is fantastic, but I can't seem to get the cutscenes going. Any ideas?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Can't seem to get a solid install of FS2 Open - Can't get FS1 cutscenes to
My problem here is that I'm having a difficult time getting a good solid install of FS2 Open. I tried the Freespace Open Installer and it was incredibly easy to get going, and the textures/graphics all looked upgraded and incredible, but I was plagued with the "robot voice" over all of the parts that I remember distinctly had professional voice acting. Did a little bit of forum digging and found that this is a "bug". Couldn't find a solution so I uninstalled it.
That shouldn't happen. There's a chance that it didn't download the voices correctly, but IDK.

EDIT: If you rename the freespace port folder to "fsport", then run my Installer, it should repair any problems.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 08:51:23 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Re: Can't seem to get a solid install of FS2 Open - Can't get FS1 cutscenes to work
i believe that "robot voice" is good old sam, microsoft sam. check the launcher, under the speech tab and check if it's enabled. it happened to me once, turns out i had clicked the wrong thing. maybe you did to.

That shouldn't happen. There's a chance that it didn't download the voices correctly, but IDK.

EDIT: If you rename the freespace port folder to "fsport", then run my Installer, it should repair any problems.

Thanks for the help. I decided to try and run a clean install with your installer, but I can't seem to get the cutscenes working. Am I missing something? I assumed that since it has in the features list, ".ogg cutscenes" that they are included. Do I need a separate codec?

UPDATE: I've found that with the clean install of your installer that the voices are fine, but none of the new .VP files are kicking in, even when I set the launcher to turn on all features:

E:\Games\Freespace2\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe -mod mediavps -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -missile_lighting

Could it be because I'm installing it to a custom directory that I'm not seeing any movies or new features? I really try to keep all games off of my C drive.

NVM, I think I got it. I was running in D3D8 mode- in OpenGL it works fine. I was having some OpenGL issues with other builds, but this one works great. I have true voices, great graphics, and cutscenes!

Thanks for your help, and for contributing to such an awesome project.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Can't seem to get a solid install of FS2 Open - Can't get FS1 cutscenes to work
When you ran Turey's installer did it replace your media VPs? Cause if you downloaded the ones on the SCP website you'll have gotten hold of the 3.6.7 ones not the latest ones.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]