Author Topic: What's With The Azrael?!  (Read 6499 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
What's With The Azrael?!
Go into FRED and place a Seraphim and an Azrael. The Seraphim is bigger and it is a bomber, yet the Azrael's tech-room desc. says that it houses hundreds of Shivans. Just thought that it was kind of funny :D
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Re: What's With The Azrael?!
doesnt say how it houses them. maybe they just stack up 1 on top of the other

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Still, a bomber doesn't need more than three Shivans. and Shivans are huge, compared to humans/Vasudans. There is no possible way of housing 100's of Shivans on an Azrael, short of demolecularizing them, shrinking them, etc.

i was being funny. or trying to, at least.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The FS2 tech room says the Azrael houses "many" Shivans, does the FS1 tech room say hundreds?

Still, I question Command's knowledge of shivan ships.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:01:54 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

i question Command's knowledge period.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Look at it this way: you can't put anything in the front extending pylons on the Seraphim because of ordinances. You can't put anything  on half of the remaining ship because of the generator that powers the guns, turrets, sheilds, and systems. And you can't put any shivans on those random little pointy things because those are all to small. While the Azreal has no shields, no ordinances, only one more turret but no primaries, and is less massive (requires a smaller generator  and less power to accelerate).

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
While the Azreal has no shields
Yet the Elysium and the Azrael have shield meshes...

Offline Dysko

And also the Elysium's and the Isis' transport capacity is a big enigma... they're too small to be transports...
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

If we a assume that the Hermes can carry 20 or so humans (which a lot of people seem to accept), then it's no leap of faith to agree that the Elysium can be a transport. The Hermes is one of the smallest ships in the game.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Well they are large enought to shuttle people around. Which is just what they're supposed to do. If you wan't to move large masses of people, the what is stopping you to stuff them in a crago container?

Isis and Elysium move handfuls of people or equipment at short distances. No need to be big and bulky...

EDIT:
Oh, and if you wan't to compare Seraphim and Azrael... Then why not compare modern day main battle tanks and APC's? Tanks are usually bigger since APC needs to be just big enought so it can carry a squad with equipment. No room for laughing (literally). Bigger also means slower, which also might not be desireable.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:56:51 am by Prophet »
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Well they are large enought to shuttle people around. Which is just what they're supposed to do. If you wan't to move large masses of people, the what is stopping you to stuff them in a crago container?

Life support systems!  :P
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I should have know some smart ass tries to be funny with that... :doubt:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I should have know some smart ass tries to be funny with that... :doubt:

Hey! You asked the question, I merely answered it!  :drevil:

:lol:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Well if you're dumb enought not to invest on a oxygen tank and a heater, then you deserve to lose your profits from human trade.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures

Isis and Elysium move handfuls of people or equipment at short distances. No need to be big and bulky...

EDIT:
Oh, and if you wan't to compare Seraphim and Azrael... Then why not compare modern day main battle tanks and APC's? Tanks are usually bigger since APC needs to be just big enought so it can carry a squad with equipment. No room for laughing (literally). Bigger also means slower, which also might not be desireable.

Yes, but the APC doesn't carry that many more people.

Offline Nuclear1

Hey guys, game limitations at the time FS1 was created mean no superbig transports in game especially in missions like The Aftermath with a dozen of them floating around on the same screen.

lolkthxbai
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

In the very famous Freespace 1 Cutscene where the soldiers find out how the Shivans really look, we know that this scene plays on an Azrael Transport (afaik), the Transport was very big, i think there is enough space for a few shivans.

In the final Bosch Monolog (FS2) we see an Azrael again, which is only a bit smaller than a Rakshasa.

But i think the relation of ship sizes to "how many peoples on it" is generally unrealistic, i mean, a Hecate has a crew of 10000 :nervous:
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

it's a scaling thing, like nuclear1 said, the engine can handle large volumes of huge ships, and they just take up to much damn space. when its a comprimise between realism and playability, realism will almost always lose. think about it. would you play a game that laged like mad, and was nearly unplayable, but looked realistic?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

EDIT:

Yes, but the APC doesn't carry that many more people.

IIRC tanks have a crew of three or four, while APCs varies on the model. Some are just straight APCs with no guns, so they just need a driver. Some have guns, so they need a gunner. Then there are IFVs. Usually to make it worthwhile APCs should carry at least five troops. I thought China had a main battle tank that could transport infantry, but I forget.