Author Topic: "As Lightning Fall" - Navigators to hire  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Fermion

"As Lightning Fall" - Navigators to hire
Hi!

First of all: good to be here!

I'm trying to finish "As Lightning Fall", which happens to be this

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/As_Lightning_Fall

mission.

I'm really fascinated by this mission. You know, flying through this nebula, nothing but thunderstorm and lightning around you (would there be rain in addition, I couldn't resist getting a hot chocolate), you're HUD and sensors constantly flashing.
GREAT ATMOSPHERE!

But then there's a small problem with math, or let's clarify, with geometry:

Me and my wingmen are, at mission start, standing still at a point in space. Let's call this point "A". A few hundred meteres away there is a nav buoy at a point "B" in space.

Now your wingmen tell you to follow the nav buoys. Great Idea, so I did.

But wait a second. What means "follow" in this context? I assumed that it would be wise to maneuver my ship from A to B. As there was still no sign of a second buoy when I arrived at B, I decided to proceed in the SAME direction (on a LINE defined by A and B) until a certain point X. I proceded as much as 10 kilometers into that direction without finding anything.
Out of curiosity I also tried to follow the straight line in the other direction, but nothing.

OK, I have to admit that I'm now totally immersed in that nebula thing and if I look out of my window, I literally see the nebula there. So storytelling did a great job.

Unfortunately it gets a bit boring in the nebula. Shooting the wingmen, for refusing to help with the navigation, helps a bit the first 100 times. It's also quite funny to call in the rescue party and have them shoot down by the shivans. Or doing both.

The point is: shouldn't there be a transport called "Grall" out there? Somewhere (close to the house of the MOJO-lady...)???

In the meantime, I just take a ride through the nebula. Great weather today!

Re: "As Lightning Fall" - Navigators to hire
:welcome:

Nice to have you here, Fermion. Yes, As Lightning Fall... is one of the best missions of the campaign, but just wait, you haven't seen everything yet  ;) You may want to stop visiting this forums lest a few major suprises be ruined. But if you read the Wiki that's probably happened already, hasn't it?

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with your problem. The next nav buoy is supposed to come into sensor range when you reach the first one. Hit the T key and cycle through targets until you find the next buoy. It should at least show up as a fuzzy dot on your HUD. If that doesn't help, you'll just have to look at the mission in FRED and figure it out. If so, do you have VPView?

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
As you approach the nav buoy, check out your radar, the next buoy will appear as a small grey dot. Irecommend that you revert to the 2d radar on this mission as the 3d one can get you turned around a bit. Just keep following the nav buoys one after the other (IIRC there are around seven) and stop to fight the Shivan waves as they come (stay near the latest buoy at this point or you could get turned around again) You will eventually find the Grall and Snipes. Make sure you have cleared the first waves of Shivans near the Grall before you call in the rescue team.

and welcome to the boards.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Dysko

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the Grall is exactly in front of you at the beginning of the mission. Just go straight for some kilometers.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the Grall is exactly in front of you at the beginning of the mission. Just go straight for some kilometers.

No! the Grall´s arrival cue is:
<
  distance
    Alpha 1
    NB 8

some of the NB's appear only after you have eliminated certain shivan wings...
once all hostiles are down proceed to the nearest NB and go a distance of 0, cycle throug the targets and voila! you will get the bouy you are looking for!
(I recall that you could add the NBs to a target group once you once had targeted them -- dunno if that still works/helps)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Oh, and be advised that there is a minor flaw in the next mission, namely the voice-acting has a bit low volume. You might want to trim the volume up for optimal experience ;)

And make sure you have an extra pair of... oh.  ;)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ya...low volume...ramp it up.
Tis an interesting mission with lots of interesting pilot chatter.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

there right, you will have to turn it up for the next mission. and to finish this mission, i just fly straight from the start and the Grall's there. this mission usually takes 5 minutes max for me.

Offline Fermion

Thanks guys,

you were all right. But the thing that really kicked it for me was to increase radar range: voila, nav buoys!  ;-)

Oh, and thanks for the advice with the volume in the next mission! Helped me to stay so beautifully immersed after leaving the EMP-field. Still can't hear anything (any more)... ;-)

See you and thanks again!

ah yes, snipe's famous line. best part of the campaign.

Offline Roanoke

God I hated "As Lightening Fall". Lions Den probably made up for it though.  :D

i agree 100%

I liked A Lightning fall very much, actually, I think I like it better then Into the lion's den...

What made me really happy was the feeling that you'd just beat the greatest challenge in the game. Of course, I play on Insane, it must be pretty easy on anything lower. Lots of Shivans, but they're mostly Aeshmas and Basilisks.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If nothing else, it provides a hell of a creepy atmosphere.  A dark, brooding nebula, teeming with lightning, your sensors going haywire every few seconds, your wingmen's chatter fading in and out...I know I had a nice case of the heebie-jeebies the first time I played it.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I know that it fustrated me to no end when i was a little freespace noob, who was just happy i got to play with the Erynies and Kaysers. But that when i restarted my FS2 campaign an found myself at this mission again, i really did 'follow the nav bouys in the general sense. I didn't attack the shivans unless they were driving for me, my wingmen held 'em off, i just flew thru the nav bouys and found the next one in the same general direction.

Oh, i actually managed to get aspect locks and play with my harpoons, but it was mostly my kaysers that scored my frags.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

For some reason I never get the EMP effect on that mission. I finished the Taurvis at the end with Trebuchet.  :confused:

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
For some reason I never get the EMP effect on that mission. I finished the Taurvis at the end with Trebuchet.  :confused:

.... Lucky.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

you were all right. But the thing that really kicked it for me was to increase radar range: voila, nav buoys!  ;-)!

Increased radar range? AFAIK, the radar range of FS2 is standard set at infinite...