Author Topic: Frequent defragging needed for drive after due playing?  (Read 2932 times)

Frequent defragging needed for drive after due playing?
Hi all, new to this forum. Just loaded FS2SCP 2 days back.

I had trouble playing the game at first due to unexplained crashes so I decided to defrag my drive and install the game again. After installing, I defragged again. Just my normal procedure.
The game ran great until today when it started crashing often. When checked, my drive files had much fragmentation again......

has anyone faced this? Does ur drive fragment much from too much playing of FS2SCP only? Coz it does on mine and its causing crashes in-game. Anyone with any solution please help me!! Thanks!

P.S. Even after defragging the drive after the crashes, I go back to the game and it still crashes....  :hopping:
great start to the week.......cold turkey :shaking: from the lack of shivan killing.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Frequent defragging needed for drive after due playing?
I've heard reports of odd problems with FRED that are solved by defragmentation.

Personally I'm mystified. The game shouldn't be moving anything much. The only files that should change during the game are those in the pilot file and any log files created. The game will create a bunch of cache files too but it should only do that once for each ship.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
For quick defrags, try "Optimizing" in my siggy... but that doesn't solve your problem... Hmm.  What mods are you running?  What build?  Is your system perhaps overheating?  Whens the last time you opened the case & cleaned the dust out?  Are your fans all running normally? 

After looking at the above stuff, you could try stress testing different components of your system, to see if a component is failing... namely, I'd check the memory, then the GFX card, then the CPU... for the memory, google up memtest86+.. for the rest, IDK, just google eg "CPU stress tester", but make sure it's not spyware... it should be free.

thanks for the help.....I still face problems with the game crashing, particularly playing derelict's campaign.

Nothing wrong with dust or fan but I guess I'll try to root out the problem oneby one. Thanks again.

Btw, anyone face the problem on derelict's campaign where you have to pull the escher out o the mess? I cleared the mines and the ship started moving but it crashed after that. Almost always along that point. Anyone have any idea why?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
IDK, that mission worked fine for me... hmm, I mentioned memtest86+... get their bootable .iso, burn a cd, and boot your computer with it & let it test overnight.  If, in the morning, you have no errors, great... if you have errors, then you prolly need new memory.

okay....this is theactual error message I got when the game crashes in Derelict's campaign.

AppName: fs2_open_r_20060425_kara.exe    AppVer: 1.0.0.1    ModName: fs2_open_r_20060425_kara.exe
ModVer: 1.0.0.1    Offset: 00210011

proceeded by the usual "Do you want to send details to Microsoft?"

Is there anything I can do about this?

Arrgh! Its driving me nutz!!!!  :hopping:

I found the source of the fragmentation. When the game crashes, the files fragment. It may have been during the torrent downloading that the installer was corrupted which caused all these crap. Just my luck....

FS2SCP in climatic battles can be better than s*x.....  ;7
but it gets anti-climatic when it crashes during a climatic battle  :mad:

EDIT: I got this from the errorlog.

fs2_open_r_20060425_Kara caused an Access Violation in module fs2_open_r_20060425_Kara.exe at 001b:00610011.
Exception handler called in FreeSpace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 6/25/2007 05:59:04.
C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_r_20060425_Kara.exe, run by Prometheus_3052.
1 processor(s), type 586.
1024 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 00000008 caused an access violation.

I'm not sure if it made any sense...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 01:56:29 pm by karajorma »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Part of your crashing might be due to the use of an unstable build.  Why aren't you using FSOpen 3.6.9 Final?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Trimmed out the extraneous stuff.

That build is very old. I'd suggest running Turey's installer and upgrading to 3.6.9 immediately. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Yes! I'll do that! Thank you so much!!!!!! Gawd I love you guys........(metaphor)  :lol:

I had troubles trying to load the 1.8 file so I was stuck with the 1.5 all along and its causing me much pain.....

from the lack of climax.  ;7