Author Topic: anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying it?  (Read 6942 times)

Re: anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying i
if Volition doesn't care(they aren't making any money off of it, right?) then they wouldn't care, right?

Exactly. Thats what we're trying to tell you. So DOWNLOAD FSO!!! :doubt:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Re: anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying i
Well, it would make him feel better if he could do it legally, as per the License Agreement. So yes, I'll be your friend for this. And a couple of Volition developers do support the SCP. Dan Wentz is working with people here to provide high-quality versions of the game soundtrack. Interplay owns FreeSpace, not Volition, and Interplay's out of business.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

You name one person who got put on trial for downloading a game 10 years old and you darn well better give me a legit case.  :doubt:

So just download SCP already....like i said, here at HLP, all of us are your friends! (some of us to a certain extent) :lol:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Koopa, I pm'ed you.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Koopa just gave me these links to give you :nervous::
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38195.0.html

He says that he secretly controls all of these and it's legal for you to use them. I also admire your willingness to not break the law.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Koopa just gave me these links to give you :nervous::
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38195.0.html

He says that he secretly controls all of these and it's legal for you to use them. I also admire your willingness to not break the law.

I did what? Oh, right, those links. Yeah. I totally searched the forum so that I could give them to thesizzler to give you. Yep, that's what I did. Oh, and I PM'ed you back.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I never had FS2 in disk form.

I still have my legal copy of FS1 though.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying it?
I have both. Twice.

I bought FS2 (big box).

I bought the white label FS1 and FS2 re-release to get FS1.

Then on holiday in America I saw and bought the FS1 Battlepack to get hold of Silent Threat.

I also have a copy of Freespace : Colossus which came with my Force 3D Joystick (which ironically enough I bought to play FS2! :D ) So that means I have FS2 2 and 1/3 times :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I have FS1 + ST 2 disk set which I bought on eBay, and I d'led FS2 via BT prototype24... I would have bought it, but at the time, they were selling it for $80 US and up on eBay... I hate that... got FS1 + ST for a half decent price, but FS2 was such a hot item they got away with some of them asking $120.  Jerks :mad2:  ahh, well, that's capitalism...  And this is me:  :arrr:

EDIT: Just checked eBay for "FreeSpace"... FS1 + ST can be had for $7-$25 after shipping... FS2 however, only has like 3 or maybe 4 entries.. $20 and up... there's one entry for "FREESPACE 2 + FREESPACE 1 VOLITION CLASSICS" for $120.  Grrrr.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 03:48:38 pm by jr2 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Double post, I know... but there was a FS Great War DVD version?  Should I snap this up to see what's different, or is it nothing new?

EDIT: And BTW, the 20th Anniversary edition has 20 extra missions?  Campaign missions, or just multi?

Re: anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying it?
i think the extra missions are op avatar.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Double post, I know... but there was a FS Great War DVD version?  Should I snap this up to see what's different, or is it nothing new?
I has that, nothing new, AFAIK.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.

EDIT: And BTW, the 20th Anniversary edition has 20 extra missions?  Campaign missions, or just multi?

Do you mean the GOTY edition? There are extra missions on that...mainly some missions from user created campaigns. There's one from Derelict on there, i know....Rites of...er...Passing?

spiderdog, if you haven't gotten a copy yet, email me, we can exchange pleasantries, and i will mail you a copy.
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Cyker

Do Volition still hold any copyrights to their game? (Unlikely, but I ask anyway...)

We could sort out something with them so we send them money :)

Hey... if we do it right, maybe that'd encourage them to eventually make Freespa<&(£(3<NO CARRIER>

[Player was destroyed by Forum Mod Beam]

Offline Snail

• SC 5

i wonder how much V would want for the rights to FS any way. if HLP were to buy them we wouldn't have any pesky legal issues any more. they'd probably be expensive though....

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
It's not :v: that own the Intellectual Property Rights to FreeSpace2 but Interplay, :v: owned the rights to the game engine, which they have already released to the community as open source! How many times do we have to go through this with people!  :rolleyes:

And before you ask, no! Interplay won't sell the rights to us as although they are in financial difficulty at the moment, even they realise that the rights are worth quite a bit!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

i thought as much

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
If Interplay goes bankrupt, don't they have to sell their stuff to pay their bills?  That would be a good time to snap up the license, if it ever happens.  Make sure you get the rights to FS1, ST, D1, DII, and D3 as well.  :D  XD