Author Topic: anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying it?  (Read 6958 times)

anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying it?
anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying it?

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Re: anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying it?
You can download it legally for free. :nod:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying it?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying i
You can download it legally for free. :nod:

No, the OP is correct. Freespace 2 is protected by US copyright law, which won't expire for at least fifty years. You can download it for free on HOTU, but that doesn't mean that it's legal. You would need (probably written) permission from Interplay and possibly Volition in order for it to be legal.

The only reason that I know of that it would be otherwise is because of Fair Use (Which I don't think would apply to exact distribution of the original files to end-users) and because of the license agreement clause which states that it's OK to give FS2 to your friends for free (as long as you don't charge money).

Of course, IANAL.
-C

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: anyone with FS2 want to befriend me so I can get it legally without buying i
because of the license agreement clause which states that it's OK to give FS2 to your friends for free (as long as you don't charge money).

Whenever this gets brought up, I have to point out that, a few lines below that clause, there's the "Interplay may alter this agreement at any time" clause. If you try to use the friends thing in court, they can say that that clause has been removed.

I am a coder, not a lawyer, obviously.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

so should I buy it on ebay?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

No.

Download it here. I will give you ten million billion dollars and serve all prison time if you get charged for downloading it.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

No.

Download it here. I will give you ten million billion dollars and serve all prison time if you get charged for downloading it.

Or here.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I thought my link had a link to that.

*looks at the link in question*

Hmm... I didn't even know Hunter had an installer. Except it's both Turey's and Hunters. Except Turey has a newer one.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 08:10:39 pm by thesizzler »

:welcome:
Welcome to the HLPBB spiderdog.

Just wanna say that since the problem is solved. :nod:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

so has anyone befriended me?

your not gonna just download the danged SCP????

and, knowing the friendly little HLP community, we are ALL your friends  :D :p So why else would we (i havn't been here long, so i'm not part of "we"  :rolleyes:) give you the entire game coupled with mods and enhancements for free?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

look, this game has been abandoned by Volition. just download it.

All the people here on HLP have the game, which itself is 10 years old. No authorities have the time to look after a game that old that not much people outside of HLP care about.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

does anyone here actualy have the disks?

*raises hand* 3 of them X2, since the first 3 i lost :(
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

lol, i have burned disks, but i dont think that counts

are you going to continue a pointless conversation or grab some common sense and download the SCP?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

if Volition doesn't care(they aren't making any money off of it, right?) then they wouldn't care, right?

thanks
(off topic: can multiplayer maps be made on linux?)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
does anyone here actualy have the disks?

My brothers friend does. Except that was 6 or 7 years ago, so he probably lost them by now (my brother borrowing the disks was how I found FS)

if Volition doesn't care(they aren't making any money off of it, right?) then they wouldn't care, right?

IT'S FINE!!! Look at it this way if you feel bad: FS is probably worth 5 USD considering todays market. Let's say that there were 30 people at V who would have recieved money had you actually bought it, 30 people at interplay, and 1 person at the box creating company, 1 person at the CD making place, etc. So about 62 people being mega mega mega underestimated. 5/62 = 0.0806451... I'm sure that each of them would be willing to give you 8 cents out of the kindness of their heart... Well maybe not interplay, but so what?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:55:26 pm by thesizzler »