Author Topic: Colossus vs. Lucifer  (Read 3057 times)

Offline adwight

• Neo-Terran
  • Go Gators!
Earlier today, I put the Colossus vs. a Lucifer destroyer.  I changed the two beams on the Lucy to LReds, and left the Colossus the same.  At the end of the battle, the Lucifer came out victorius, with only the Colossus doing 49% damage to it.  Is it just me or does the Colossus suck?
Neo-Terra Victorious

The Lightning Marshall

158th Banshee Squadron

Gay people are rejects who can't get girls. Period. -DragonClaw
Can I have sex with it yet? -KnightTemplar

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by adwight
Is it just me or does the Colossus suck?
It sucks.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

well, if you look at the Volition missions, you'll notice that in that Santhanas VS Colossus mission, it has LRBGreens alloverda place, and in some other missions, it has the odd LRBGreen or BFGreen... which is confusing... :p

PS Yes, it sucks, it is a 6.1 km long paperweight... it's turning point is in it's ASS, so it kinda twacks everything infront of it when it turns.... which looks.................. DUMB.... oh, and, i hate it. I like the Orion and Hecate. :)
"I swear, if I get caught in some little nook or some little crannie the next time that ship jumps to warp, I'll kill something." - Me, ten seconds after being caught infront of the fighter bay of an orion.

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
it looks like a water pistol....

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Terrans build there design according to beam specs: section35 division426...which means that beams are technically positioned in the best strategic place. Vasudans have it quite similar...but Shivans having focused their attention in the power region so it can destroy a ship quickly..:D

Offline Vortex

"12 Lucifer class destroyers can fit in its massive hull"

And yet...
Proud member of the Combathawks and Silver Talon Wing
100th gany victim
143rd person to reach commodore (without cheating)
------------------------
SPAM!  SPAM! SPAM! Hit your post button pilot! hehehe... :drevil:
------------------------
"To have may be taken from you; to have had, never. Far better to have tasted love before dying than to die alone."

Vintar

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Hey guys... remember that Colossus default armament is pretty weak, but in several FS2 missions Colossus did put more power on it's weapons, and [V] used bigger and badder beams for those missions.

If you have to, replace all anti-cap ship beams with LRBGreens and see results. ;)

Edit: Almost posted a new thread! Fix the damn buttons already! :(

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Hey guys... remember that Colossus default armament is pretty weak, but in several FS2 missions Colossus did put more power on it's weapons, and [V] used bigger and badder beams for those missions.

If you have to, replace all anti-cap ship beams with LRBGreens and see results. ;)

Edit: Almost posted a new thread! Fix the damn buttons already! :(

In fact, I think it's all the engine's fault. The colossus was supposed to have much more turrets than it actually has ( just look at the cutscene). They would have given all the turrets it was supposed to have, the colossus would actually be a very good ship ( of course, give 90 turrets to any ship and it will be good...)
SCREW CANON!

To be honest... i like the FRONT end of the Colossus, it just looks.... cool!

i like the long fuselage bit, that looks kewl.... i like the midsection a bit... but i hate that long engine in the middle.... i think it should have been TWO small ones jutting down... like: ^ That would have looked kewl.
I don't like those bit engines on the back, they are badly skinned... i reckon it should have been skinned to look 50% Terran 50% Vasudan!

But the colossus is TOO BIG, i reckon it should have been... 5.0 or 4.5 km long...

Well, thats my opinion on the colossus, it was too big to enter into any mission. haha. :D :D :D
"I swear, if I get caught in some little nook or some little crannie the next time that ship jumps to warp, I'll kill something." - Me, ten seconds after being caught infront of the fighter bay of an orion.

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Re: Re: Colossus vs. Lucifer
Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009
It sucks.

Thats why I was cheering for the Repulse to win, to but when it failed, I "aided" the Sathanas to win. No more Colossus
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I'd rather have a few destoyers than 1 Colossus

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
The Colossus failed because the GTVA didn't expect to deal with anything bigger than another Lucifer. It was designed to deal with a bunch of small ships (i.e. clearing up NTFish rebellions and the like) rather than dealing with Sathanae.

Remember that, when it did use its full power, it almost melted its heatsinks. So its standard armament is crappy, yes.

The tactics of pooling all that firepower into one big expensive package are all wrong too. The Colossus can deal with some big targets, yes, but it can't be in more than one place at a time. So saving time, effort, and resources by building a ton of smaller, more expendable ships is the better way to go IMO.

Pack a bunch of extra firepower onto those smaller ships (cruisers, dropships, corvettes) and you get a powerful and mobile, yet cheap and expendable, war fleet. Thus, anticap cruisers are l33t. :D
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Someone should put Luci against a Sath.

:eek: :D :D :yes:
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by an0n
Someone should put Luci against a Sath.
What would it's arnament be?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
The Luci loses, even when its armament is BFReds in place of the Superlasers. The Sath has just too much armor for even BFReds to hurt it very much.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
LuciferBeams! :thepimp:

Lookie here.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Grey Wolf

Just wondering, are going to make the Lucy's flux cannons into actual beams in your port?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Yes. Check out the last screenshot in that thread.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
YES!!! THEY KNOW ABOUT THE BUTTONS BEING REVERSED!!!
(Just before someone comments about this... ;))
-C

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Thread merged. This is easy. :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.