Author Topic: X-Wing  (Read 37808 times)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Just for the record, all of the models are being built directly off orthographic schematics for each of these ships, none are too long, short, tall, thin, wide, etc.  They're correct.

As for my take, I still think the engines are way too dark.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline aRaven

looks very nice...but i think the exhaust nozzles are a LITTLE bit too small...and thus the blocky things underneath each one too thick...the laser cannons are too thick...their diameter should be slighty less than the exhaust nozzles

here you can also see that the circular paint pattern are not on all four, but only on 2 of the cannons
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:51:26 pm by aRaven »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Just for the record, all of the models are being built directly off orthographic schematics for each of these ships, none are too long, short, tall, thin, wide, etc.  They're correct.

As for my take, I still think the engines are way too dark.

Depends on what schematics you're using, some of the WEG drawings are notoriously inaccurate to the movie models.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The thing that's a little bothersome, is the fact that the burn/scratch etc. marks look the same on both sides of the model since it's mirrored.

Also don't know yet whether to like the red paintjob on it - it seems like it was done on the spot, however if so it shouldn't be mirrored.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
They use astromech droids to paint.  However good the mech's painting software is is what you get, I guess.  That coupled with the quality of the paint available and the amount available...

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
The thing that's a little bothersome, is the fact that the burn/scratch etc. marks look the same on both sides of the model since it's mirrored.

Also don't know yet whether to like the red paintjob on it - it seems like it was done on the spot, however if so it shouldn't be mirrored.

my paintjob is based exactly on the paintjob on the x-wing model used in empire strikes back.

the dirt, i just kinda did cause it looked too clean.  you don't get close enough in-game to see, and it certainly looks pretty enough in the techroom.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 04:42:42 pm by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Jeez Turambar, that's supposed to be top secret still :P
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Turambar

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Never mind, it was a joke, tone of voice is tough to convey on a forum.

Offline Turambar

its converted, working in game now. 

it has been for a while, just thought i'd put up some screens of it from the f3 techroom.

Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Good news: I bought the SW original trilogy, and I didn't wait for shipping... I successfully torrented it, and can now post reference pics... probably tomorrow, I guess, perhaps tonight.  I'll have the original original, (torrented), as well as the 2004 edition, when it gets here.  Perhaps even the '97 version or whatever..

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You bought the 3 dvds packages that each come with the 2004 and original versions of each movie?  What I find sad is that they didn't give use the THX remastered version, all I think they did is take the laserdisc versions and copy them to DVD.  No reason to pay for it then for me, since I've already got those.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, you know, FRAPS + a DVD player = reference shots...

On a different subject, I saw the B-Wings from ROTJ; they don't seem to rotate when opening their S-Foils... they were upright, like this:
|
|
|
then they open to:
   |
 ----
   |
   |

So, why such a big fuss with making the cockpit rotate?  I didn't see that...

BTW, is there any particular craft that could use reference shots?  Looks like the X-Wing's done, but if you need shots of anything else, let me know, unless you've got your own way of getting them from the movie?  IDK.. :D  Let me know how I can help.

Offline Topgun

if the cockpit doesn't rotate then the fire points move.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Are they capable of firing from the closed position?  If not, then make the fire points set to open mode, if that's possible; IDK.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, the only reference I know of for a rotating cockpit is from the Lucas games, but I figured it had been mentioned in the books somewhere to make it in the games.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Turambar

Also, the only reference I know of for a rotating cockpit is from the Lucas games, but I figured it had been mentioned in the books somewhere to make it in the games.

also, if you look in the theforce.net exhibition pics, the b-wing's cockpit is rotated so the main wing is nearly horizontal

Offline rsaxvc

• rsaxvc
The horizontal mode is for landing, as the "attack mode" s-foils don't lend themselves to landing well