Author Topic: Ancient Renders  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
plus if you didn't notice, all those models are supposed to be used in a real time engine. An engine that doesn't support bump and all those pretty stuffs that make hours to render in a nice pic. oh well, I'm wasting my time.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Firstly dvaimatura, welcome to HLP. What Venom says is right, these models were built for use in a game engine, and aren't exactly cinematic quality, or anywhere even remotely near that. Most of us here have only free or very cheap rendering tools to work with, so the work may not be up to the standard you expect.  

Originally posted by dvaimatura:
Your image has no depth at all, it might as well have been done in 2d.

I think it was... copy and paste all elements onto a starscape canvas. It's kind of poor, but it works, and often that's all we have to work with here, when our main objective is making gameplay elements and ships that you can play, not necessarily just to look at.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Snipes

• http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/us
I don't wanna sound like a newb basher, but I think you should really know the facts before you start criticizing peoples work.

And err... how can't you see the perspective in that?

------------------
United Space
Newsie, Modder, Slave to Asta
------------------
"Snipes... Is The Dark Continent."

OK, so you build this game mod, then what? Just play it? Wow! Sounds promising!

If you step up the quality, get some translators for an industry standard program to output to a good game engine that supports advanced rendering, you might catch someones eye.

With what you have here, you couldn't do anything except play the mod, and give it away for free.

Use all the resources available to you! Try to gain from the work you put into these things. Is your time not worth money?

But hey, if you just want to build simple mods with simple tools, and play them at home with your friends while your little brother sits and says:Wow! Cool! Don't let what I say influence you in any way!

In 5 years when you're still designing mods, think dvaimatura, hmmm, dvaimatura, where have I heard that name before? Oh, yeah, that's the guy who came onto our mod board and tried to teach us a thing or 2. Sh1t, maybe we should've listened to that guy! We could've been building games this whole time, or at least making mods that people want to buy.

Oh well, we don't have time to think about what could've been, with our 12 hour a day factory jobs and all. I can't wait for that Unreal tournament at your house this weekend.

meanwhile...

Dvaimatura's CG-digidolls grace the covers of fashion magazines, and cosmetic commercials all over the globe. Not to mention his 4 feature length films done entirely in CG!

You guys know what you're doing though. After all, I'm the one who has no idea what is going on in this forum right?? I mean, there's no reason that I have an $11,000 software package, and you guys are working with cheap, and free tools though? I must just be rich right? Wrong!! The company I work for gave me a license for Maya Unlimited! But that doesn't mean anything! You don't have to have talent for a company to buy you an $11,000 package! You just have to ask right?

Good luck with the mods fellas, and don't pay any attention to the character animator who's rambling on....Later

Offline Snipes

With what you have here, you couldn't do anything except play the mod, and give it away for free.

Um... that's kinda the point. We're not out to make money here. This is all for fun.

------------------
United Space
------------------

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

What modeling method was used? What kind of texturing did you use? I notice the texturing is poorly placed, you only used diffuse maps, you need specular, bump, and self illumination maps at least and the LOD (level of detail) in the meshes is non-existant.
As already has been said, these are in game models, the most complex is 1000 polys while the rest are about 200 each. They have none of that specular and bump crap on them

Add all the glows you want, they won't improve an overall half finished image. If you want to make that image look good, you better put about another 50-60 hours work into it.
I have a campaign project to run, I'm not spending up to 60 hours on a picture, I just don't have the time

Don't use images as backgrounds cause they rarely match the geometry, unless you're gonna use camera matching techniques. use particles and geometry for the stars and nebula with opacity maps to hide unwanted geometry so the image has depth. Your image has no depth at all, it might as well have been done in 2d. You also need lens flares coming from your main light source, and use DOF (depth of field), it works wonders. You also could use a good GI (global illumination) renderer to create some good lighting effects.
This was done in 2D. the ships where rendered in 3D Exploartion and pasted onto a Paint Shop Pro generated background

Maybe it's in the renderer itself. That subspace effect looks very cheesy. It's just mapped geometry is all! You probably only used one texture space for each ship too. Didn't you? All models use more than one texture space unless the object is a standard primitive.
The subspace looks like that in game dumbass, and all the ships are created from a standard primative

Not to put it down or anything because I know you're all still learning, but if you're gonna post something, make sure it represents some true artistic talent.

This isn't an art forum

The spaceship sci-fi sh1t is so overdone in 3D all the time. Frankly, it sucks!
better than pics of sh1tty flowers!

I'm a character modeler/animator using Maya 3.0, and I can tell you that that spaceship stuff is just too common, noone wants to see it anymore! Every kid and his friends get a copy of 3D Studio max or Lightwave or something, and they automatically start building spaceships and space scenes and robots and all that sh1t! It's boring!
these are for a game called FS2, that's why most of us are here

3D animation is an art form! Art requires individuality to thrive! Space scenes and battle ships come in the 100's of thousands on demo reels, they show that the person doesn't posess an artistic individuality, and demo reels submitted to animation houses that contain sci fi and spaceships are usually thrown out!
I don't give a damn about art, if I did I'd go and spend thousands of pounds on some super modelling and rendering programs

Sorry to be so brazen on this, but when you critique someones work, you should always be as honest as possible. I think if you get some books, or good software and tutorials for the software, you'll learn how to see things in an artistic way pertaining to 3D.
you should never critcise someones work, you do give suggestions on how it can be improved. Plus I'm a modder and a mission designer, I don't want to spend months reading books on how to do pretty pics, Plus these pics are over a month old, if your going to criticise, at least criticise one of my later works!

Sorry if I was rude, but that had to be said. This is the first post that I've ever bashed on any board.

Offline Snipes

*Stands and claps for Woomeister*

I'm not being sarcastic either, I stand behind what you say 100%.

------------------
United Space
------------------

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

dvaimatura, hmmm, dvaimatura, where have I heard that name before?
Don't get me started again. We make these mods for fun I would not pay money to play them. Plus we have some great model designers like Dark, Bobboau, and Venom, who could go onto making their own ships for game engines. Doing that type of project would take years.

Mod or no mod, campaign to run or not, you hate art or not, the images still suck sh1t through a tube!

Noone I know would play them!

I don't give a damn about art, if I did I'd go and spend thousands of pounds on some super modelling and rendering programs

That's why your images suck so bad!

Those images are a reflection on you, and what kind of effort you put into your work!!
If they are any indication as to the effort you're gonna put into this campaign, I'd hate to be with you on that project.

This was done in 2D. the ships where rendered in 3D Exploartion and pasted onto a Paint Shop Pro generated background

Cheap, very cheap! I bet your car's frame and body consists of nothing but Bondo too!

The subspace looks like that in game dumbass, and all the ships are created from a standard primative

I understand now! You guys are creating mods for a game that is already visually ugly and boring.
When I said one texture space for a primitive, I meant a primitive in it's original form, unmodified or modified very little! Dumbass!

better than pics of sh1tty flowers

You people keep saying that! Why do you think that flowers or spaceships are the only 2 choices as far as creating images in 3D go? It's very limiting to think that way. As if noone has ever made a 3D character, or landscape, or animal, or building, or water scene. What's that all about?

We make these mods for fun I would not pay money to play them. Plus we have some great model designers like Dark, Bobboau, and Venom, who could go onto making their own ships for game engines. Doing that type of project would take years

I guess that's what seperates the men from the boys huh? What you guys are doing, anyone can do!

Real CG isn't for anyone who wants to do it. CG proffesionals usually spend years on projects from the get go. That's the name of the game!

If it was easy everyone would do it! Right! Just like you guys, you're not doing real 3D CG work, your just playing with toys is all!!! Just like your games, they're just toys too!

Just a bunch of kids and their toys!!

No reason for anyone to reply to this cause I won't be back!!!

[This message has been edited by dvaimatura (edited 07-07-2001).]

Offline Nico

• Venom
Mmh, I just think of some dumb people who made mods, just like us... they were so stuopid they made their mods for free, just like us...and then other dumb people, the ones who got all the money, saw what they were able to do, with some freeware progs and some talent (yes, I think that everything shown here is done by people with talent). Somes of the stupid moders pop out a game called Gunman, done with the half life engine... I'm sure you cae and told them to put bump everywhere, right? Alleluia!!! Dvaimatura (with a big D coz he's worth it, of course) show them the Way!
the other moders? oh, the dumb ones? They're working on Team Fortress classic, a game that a formidable amount of people are waiting for. You don't know it? damn, it's using the half life engine! No bump!!!! d'oh!!!
hmm...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT

OK, so you build this game mod, then what? Just play it? Wow! Sounds promising!

If you step up the quality, get some translators for an industry standard program to output to a good game engine that supports advanced rendering, you might catch someones eye.

Use all the resources available to you! Try to gain from the work you put into these things. Is your time not worth money?

But hey, if you just want to build simple mods with simple tools, and play them at home with your friends while your little brother sits and says:Wow! Cool! Don't let what I say influence you in any way!

In 5 years when you're still designing mods, think dvaimatura, hmmm, dvaimatura, where have I heard that name before? Oh, yeah, that's the guy who came onto our mod board and tried to teach us a thing or 2. Sh1t, maybe we should've listened to that guy! We could've been building games this whole time, or at least making mods that people want to buy.

Oh well, we don't have time to think about what could've been, with our 12 hour a day factory jobs and all. I can't wait for that Unreal tournament at your house this weekend.

meanwhile...

Dvaimatura's CG-digidolls grace the covers of fashion magazines, and cosmetic commercials all over the globe. Not to mention his 4 feature length films done entirely in CG!

You guys know what you're doing though. After all, I'm the one who has no idea what is going on in this forum right?? I mean, there's no reason that I have an $11,000 software package, and you guys are working with cheap, and free tools though? I must just be rich right? Wrong!! The company I work for gave me a license for Maya Unlimited! But that doesn't mean anything! You don't have to have talent for a company to buy you an $11,000 package! You just have to ask right?

Good luck with the mods fellas, and don't pay any attention to the character animator who's rambling on....Later

You stupid freak boy you come here and critsices his work,and not to mention all work of others because we use almost the same techniekes and programs to make these pics,and we aren't damm milionairs to buy those so called GOOD programs,we make this stuff for fun and not to make money whit it.And makeing games would take alot of money and time we don't have.You are one post a head of me but you are realy BRAINLESS if you think FS2 has visualls and think it's ugly.And don't inslult Venom,Dark,and Bobboau there good people better then your stupid mother ****ing head dumbass boy and you think dis seperates us from men and boys then your are sadly mistakeing you are the  boy and we are them men,we DON'T insult each other.Good bye and don't come back MONKEY BOY

------------------

------------------
                   [email protected]                  Staff member of
SOC Inferno,can you defeat the shivans?  

Soc Inferno

iqc 102628858
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

You got to stop the bomb.....tolate I gess you will have to get off the bord, I cant help you out. they dont lisin to me when they get mad. So run run run run! you pansy!

------------------
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

[This message has been edited by StarGunner (edited 07-07-2001).]

The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline Nico

• Venom
lol
I think it's time to own this thread  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Slanker

Ok...
This is no art forum. They are going to create something that makes fun to play. I´m looking forward to it and I don´t give a damn if those models feature bumpilluflexgravrendglowflarcorbumpaliasing effects, I just like them  
FS2 has a really limited engine, but it has a perfect gameplay and an amazing storyline and a cool plot. It´s moddable and we all love this game. If you shall read this, think about it. I´m not going to insult you, just think about it!
Here comes my sig... oh finished :D

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Ok time for this to be owned, If any of the HLP staff wish to add any further comments please feel free to reopen the topic and make them, otherwise Owned