Author Topic: Ancient Renders  (Read 6030 times)

Sweet

------------------
Defination of a shivan: Target Practice....
"I am that which lurks in the night, I am both the fallen, and the man"
Webmaster for...
Imperium Chronicals
We Take Modders....

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
First one:

I like everything except the lack of glows on some of the Ancient ships and the inconsistency between them(blue vs/ Purple, effect vs. Rendered.)

The Shivans could use a bit of glow, too...but only a little.

Second one:

Sweet...all you need here is some thrusters on the cool Shivan fighter to the left and some pyrotechnics- if you can figure out how to render it, a missile trail coming up from the Gigas and impacting on a countermeasure right behind the Ancient ship would be sweet.

Third One:

All I have to say is Engine Glows! Engine Glows!

Excellent work, Woo.

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod
Sushi's Freespace Zone-Future home of loads of cool stuff.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Sushi:
Excellent work, Woo.

Stop it! Woo is my name. He's Woosey.  

Woosey, like I said before, they are an excellent job. Belong in FS Story, actually...
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
First one:

No glows on the destroyer since I haven't decided where its engines are. The fighters are blue as I didn' have Darkages new thrusters at te time.
The Shivans are too far away for my software to do glows. They'd come out silly.

Second one:

Maybe one day  

Third one:

As above  

If you want them in FS Story you can  

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Much better.

WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Looks great!  But for gods sakes, put some anti-aliasing on your text  
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Heh heh, it finally got too much for you, huh?  

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Breathe in. Breathe out. Calm down. Go texture some TBP ships.  

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Very impressive work dude! and yeah, some nicer fonts would be nice but it's no biggy   How did you do the subspace effect? I never could work out how to render it...

------------------
Co-Creator:  Hard Light Productions
Webmaster: Sounds of Thunder

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I convert then open the big subspace in 3DE and zoom into it.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I feel stupid.... thanks dude!

------------------
Co-Creator:  Hard Light Productions
Webmaster: Sounds of Thunder

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Whispers to Thunder: We picked a good dude to host...  

Offline LOA--JK47

• Dekkers original form.
    • http://Janus_tuts.tripod.com
You gonna do the whole aincent speech from FS1? i recognised, one of the final message would be good.....
All shall fear the redness of my ageless war machine

Offline LOA--JK47

• Dekkers original form.
    • http://Janus_tuts.tripod.com
Oh yeah, i almost forgot, With luck my mod >> JANUS FLEET should be getting hosted at HLP soon, So greetings to you all  

------------------

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

Originally posted by LOA--JK47:
You gonna do the whole aincent speech from FS1?
Hmmm doubt it, the ships in these pics are out of date too. You never know  

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases

What kind of software are you all using? The images look very blocky, and there is no use of any advanced features.

What modeling method was used? What kind of texturing did you use? I notice the texturing is poorly placed, you only used diffuse maps, you need specular, bump, and self illumination maps at least and the LOD (level of detail) in the meshes is non-existant.

Add all the glows you want, they won't improve an overall half finished image. If you want to make that image look good, you better put about another 50-60 hours work into it.

Don't use images as backgrounds cause they rarely match the geometry, unless you're gonna use camera matching techniques. use particles and geometry for the stars and nebula with opacity maps to hide unwanted geometry so the image has depth. Your image has no depth at all, it might as well have been done in 2d. You also need lens flares coming from your main light source, and use DOF (depth of field), it works wonders. You also could use a good GI (global illumination) renderer to create some good lighting effects.

Maybe it's in the renderer itself. That subspace effect looks very cheesy. It's just mapped geometry is all! You probably only used one texture space for each ship too. Didn't you? All models use more than one texture space unless the object is a standard primitive.

Not to put it down or anything because I know you're all still learning, but if you're gonna post something, make sure it represents some true artistic talent.

The spaceship sci-fi sh1t  is so overdone in 3D all the time. Frankly, it sucks!

I'm a character modeler/animator using Maya 3.0, and I can tell you that that spaceship stuff is just too common, noone wants to see it anymore! Every kid and his friends get a copy of 3D Studio max or Lightwave or something, and they automatically start building spaceships and space scenes and robots and all that sh1t! It's boring!

3D animation is an art form! Art requires individuality to thrive! Space scenes and battle ships come in the 100's of thousands on demo reels, they show that the person doesn't posess an artistic individuality, and demo reels submitted to animation houses that contain sci fi and spaceships are usually thrown out!

Yes, the programs are great! They give you alot of control to create what's in your mind. But, if what's in your mind has no value as art in any sense, or is copied directly from another persons work (ie, a game)that's nothing to show off, it shows an overall lack of artistic vision.

Sorry to be so brazen on this, but when you critique someones work, you should always be as honest as possible. I think if you get some books, or good software and tutorials for the software, you'll learn how to see things in an artistic way pertaining to 3D.

Keep practicing.....

[This message has been edited by dvaimatura (edited 07-07-2001).]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Mmh, look where you are dude... HLP. You're in a forum related to a SPACE SIM, you know, with ships, in space... sure, Woomeister could make pretty pics of flowers and grass, coz they're tougher to make (lol, grass is easy but anyway). mmh, he could add birds too. He could give up fs2 and mod for unreal2 then. The main purpose of that pic is too show the ships, which are original, btw. Where do you come from? Planet Starwars?
If I compare the shivan design to the vorlon ships from B5, sorry, but the vorlons looks ridiculous for me. Damn, nobody never pissed me off on a forum. Congrats dude you just did. That's like someone going on a wing co forum and tell everybody that the vesuvius looks crappy and common... I think the wingco community would use harsher words than I do...

[This message has been edited by venom2506 (edited 07-07-2001).]
SCREW CANON!