Author Topic: Works Great Under Vista 32!  (Read 6002 times)

Works Great Under Vista 32!
I just wanted to say that a week ago I built a new core 2 duo box with Vista 32 installed.

I went ahead and installed FS2 from my CDs and that went w/o a hitch! Applied the patch then used the FreeSpace source code install --- It all works great! I am so happy to be playing FS2 again! WTG guys!

Re: Works Great Under Vista 32!
As long as you have a video card supported, yes.  If not... your in major trouble, especially if theres no up-to-date drivers.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
PH34R THE SH1TTY 8800GTX DRIVERZ!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

or the crummy ide drivers.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
is it just me or does vista make it harder to dev mods? i have no problem running the game, but when im scripting and i get something wrong, the game crashes as usual. but in vista instead of just crashing, i have to click about a dozen popups before i can actually use my system again. if you disable the admin popup, you get another popup every time you boot saying your security is bad, it leaves an icon in your tray which pisses me off. they changed the name of everything. its the same stuff, just repackaged.  everything is dumbed down to the point of uselessness. KILL MICROSOFT NOW!!!!!!!

i installed ubuntu on my second drive but i had some problems getting my network drivers to work (no drivers means no repository access and no libs to compile all the other drivers = system no workie too well). the disc for the wireless adapter had drivers for redhat, so i might try a fedora installation instead.  in the end i hope to have a win98 install running in wine so i can run my old games again.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
this is why im getting xp64 on my new comp
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I just wanted to say that a week ago I built a new core 2 duo box with Vista 32 installed.

I went ahead and installed FS2 from my CDs and that went w/o a hitch! Applied the patch then used the FreeSpace source code install --- It all works great! I am so happy to be playing FS2 again! WTG guys!

Intel actually has a quad-core processor now! WOW!! :eek:
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
QUAD-core? :jaw:

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
So?

Probably wouldn't work very well with FSO anyways.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
[crappy British accent]Why ever not, master Cobra?[/crappy British accent]

EDIT: No one welcomed TechieZero yet...
:welcomepurple:
[ more crappy British accent]TechieZero, Enjoy your stay![/more crappy British accent]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
As far as I know, FSO doesn't have proper support for 4 cores.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Processor affinity should fix that, I think...

As far as I know, FSO doesn't have proper support for 4 cores.

Does it even have support for two cores, or was that fixed?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The multiprocessor problems in FS2 were fixed almost two years ago. That shouldn't be an issue at all these days.

Offline Topgun

I heard quad cores suck.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
They suck in the sense that the vast majority of programs show no benefit from them at all. Unless you have a specific use in mind (a 3D rendering app or something), they aren't worth it.

Offline Topgun

They suck in the sense that the vast majority of programs show no benefit from them at all. Unless you have a specific use in mind (a 3D rendering app or something), they aren't worth it.

so, they are about as fast as there core2duo counterparts?

so, they are about as fast as there core2duo counterparts?

In most benchmarks, YES.
However, an advantage of quad cores, is as more apps go multi-threaded, they provide what dual cores did with single threaded apps. Usability. No single program should be able to monopolize your CPU.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That is unlikely to happen for a long time though. We've only started to see mainstream programs taking serious advantage of dual cores a few months ago, and dual cores came out in mid-2005.