Author Topic: Why a destroyer when 100 Ursas can take out a Sathanas?  (Read 26487 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Re: Why a destroyer when 100 Ursas can take out a Sathanas?
Supspace? Theoreticly it like wormhoels...not impossible..
Where does the exotic matter scaffolding required to keep open the wormhole not there? Why isn't the end you go through to enter subspace a black hole? The fact that it's glowing means that stuff is coming OUT of it.
Banking in space? With multiple thrusters and a powerfull nav computer it's possible for a space fighter to behave like that.
Such a method of maneuvering would make your fighter less effective that the flight style seen on Babylon 5 before they started wanking off to "gravimetric" propulsion.
Humanoid vasudans? Also not impossible.
So incredibly unlikely that it's ridiculous to even consider.
Subach changing colors? Maby it's coolin in space or dissolving..also possible.
Radiation doesn't "cool"--the light will diffuse over long ranges, but a laser will keep its original wavelength. Like it or not, FreeSpace is constructed with extreme scientific ignorance, and it's pathetic sensor system is among the worst offenders. You just can't do stealth in space. Furthermore, the Subach is an X-ray laser, so it should be invisible!

I think the FS / SW lasers can be explained as a contained / and/or charged laser blast.  I know it is possible to contain or "stop" a laser, they have done it.  Whether or not it is possible to contain a pent-up amount of laser energy inside of soem sort of plasma and shoot it is another matter.  I think firing the plasma would be easy enough, but eventually the plasma would not contain the laser... hence the "laser's" max range, which would be based on the strength of the plasma field containing it.
Your explanation doesn't make any sense. Lasers are "stopped" either by mirrors, which reflect them, or strong materials that absorb them completely. You can't freeze electromagnetic radiation. The plasma doesn't work either, because plasma is extremely volatile. Plasma molecules desperately want to get away from other plasma molecules, so firing plasma is like firing a blast of steam at an opponent--completely useless, as it instantly diffuses. You might as well say the thing is constructed out of pure technobabble.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:55:03 pm by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Likewise, there is no sound in space either. But I bet you the game wouldn't be very fun if you were shooting invisible Xasers and no sound except for the background music.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Also Fire cannot exist in space because there is no oxygen. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
why have a realistic game when you can have a cool one?

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I wasn't arguing that FreeSpace sucked because its physics don't work, I am arguing that it's physics don't work. The quality of the game has no bearing on the fact that the idea of stealth ships and color changing X-ray blob guns contradict the way things actually are.

The GTF Pegasus is cool, even if you are Rockeye fodder in one. The problem is that in real life, stealth fighters don't work in space.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
they do if you use the "stealth" flag on a SCP build

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The problem is that in real life, stealth fighters don't work in space.

And sound doesn't travel in space.

Stop trying to compare FS phenomena to real-life.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The problem is that in real life, stealth fighters don't work in space.

And sound doesn't travel in space.

Stop trying to compare FS phenomena to real-life.

Concession accepted.

--General Battuta

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Where does the exotic matter scaffolding required to keep open the wormhole not there? Why isn't the end you go through to enter subspace a black hole? The fact that it's glowing means that stuff is coming OUT of it.

The wormhoels/subspace/hyperspace and all that shizt are all theorethical construct, not yet proven..and something that the top scientistsare debating about..
so unless you're one of hte greatest minds on Earth, I wouldn't go into arguments regarding their inner workings or "belivability"

Actually it's impossible to calculate. It *could* be that the humanoid shape is an optimal shape and that practicly ALL alien races would be humanoid... There's no way to tell
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

Actually it's impossible to calculate. It *could* be that the humanoid shape is an optimal shape and that practicly ALL alien races would be humanoid... There's no way to tell

More likely, it's not the humanoid shape that's optimal, but bilateral symmetry. After all, 90% of all multi-celled life on earth has bilateral symmetry.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
We are a product of our environment.

Might I bring up another inaccuracy? Your eyes can't see colors in space without aide--generally in a brightened cockpit (which could be distracting) or mechanical aide.

Anyways--If I remember correctly, one of our weapons requires an igniter of gases in order to work--something about a 1/10 of a millisecond or something... I don't remember which one or the other details, but I'm about 95% sure that it's mentioned in-game or by :v:.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
the prometheus. and the maxim accelarates uranium shells.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Might I bring up another inaccuracy? Your eyes can't see colors in space without aide--generally in a brightened cockpit (which could be distracting) or mechanical aide.

Really? Where have you heard that?
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool

Really? Where have you heard that?
You can't see colors in space because your cones (color) are inactive in low-light conditions. Instead, your rods (b,w,&g-s) are making the images in your eyes--they're responsible primarily during low-light conditions.

Next off--I removed "Prometheus" from my post quoted by you because I was unsure--someone else might know for sure.

the prometheus. and the maxim accelarates uranium shells.
+1

Didn't the Subach receive a bit of a technical-workings overview too? I know it is considered Xaser, though I think the GTVA would be stupid not to pigment a weapon--it makes it easier to dodge but that's both positive and negative. As general-use, for and against the NTF at least, it would be necessary to pigment it so your own fighters can dodge enemy and friendly fire.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I know it is considered Xaser, though I think the GTVA would be stupid not to pigment a weapon--it makes it easier to dodge but that's both positive and negative.

Like tracer fire.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You can't see colors in space because your cones (color) are inactive in low-light conditions. Instead, your rods (b,w,&g-s) are making the images in your eyes--they're responsible primarily during low-light conditions.

Helooo? Cones are part of the eyes. And there's enough light in space to see...what are you talking about?

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool

Helooo? Cones are part of the eyes. And there's enough light in space to see...what are you talking about?

It's all about cones and rods... if I remember human optics correctly, your cones deactivate in low-light conditions. Let me put it this way--unless there is a planet, major ship close to you, or a lot of light from other sources, you cannot see the color involved in the scene. You need lengthened exposure to the darkness (an hour) to see the colors clearly.

Do this tonight--in an interior room of your place of living, turn off all lights in said room and turn on the TV in a connecting room. All light from under the door will appear to be white--regardless if the light is actually blue, green, red, &c.

EDIT: I mean to see colors--you can only see in gray-scale in low-light conditions.

EDIT 2:
The retina contains two forms of photosensitive cells important to vision—rods and cones. Though structurally and metabolically similar, their function is quite different. Rod cells are highly sensitive to light allowing them to respond in dim light and dark conditions, however, they cannot detect color. These are the cells which allow humans and other animals to see by moonlight, or with very little available light (as in a dark room). This is why the darker conditions become, the less color objects seem to have. Cone cells, conversely, need high light intensities to respond and have high visual acuity. Different cone cells respond to different wavelengths of light, which allows an organism to see color.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 05:03:27 pm by Bob-san »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yeah, I know that...but you seem to imply there's not much light in space...

What is there to block the Sun praytell????

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Depends if you're on the other side of a planet or not.  But IIRC, if you look at the sun without specially shielded lenses / facemasks, you will have your eyes damaged.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
[yoda]sunshielded cockpits, freespace is lacking. hmmmMMMMmmm.[/yoda]