Author Topic: Phenomenally stupid question - GUI mouse speed?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline DiabloRojo

• Como los chupacabras para desayuno.
    • Dienet - The Place You Go to Die (back after 5 years, baby!)
Phenomenally stupid question - GUI mouse speed?
Is there any possible way to increase the sensitivity of the mouse in the Menu/GUI?  I don't care if I have to hex-edit the exe, running 1600x1200 is causing me a major pain in the wrist between missions and when starting the game.  Limited space + joystick means my mouse doesn't have far to maneuver, and I still have to pick it up 3 times just to move it to a different option at the main menu.

My mouse sensitivity in windows is already maxxed and moves fine there, but moves at probably less than 1/4 the speed in-game...  No good mice with a DPI selector for lefties either.

:sigh:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Phenomenally stupid question - GUI mouse speed?
I find this somewhat annoying too, especially since I use 2048x1536. I don't think there is any way to get around it due to how the interface currently works. If you have a mouse with a variable sensitivity/dpi adjustment though, that basically solves the problem. I just crank it all the way up when I load the game.

Offline DiabloRojo

Sadly, I have yet to find a mouse that is acceptable for me (left-handed) with a DPI selector.  Why can't logitech make a left-handed G5?  You evil, right-hand majority, keeping the left-handed man down!  :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Try one of the Razer mice like the Copperhead. Those are symmetric and can be used left handed equally well.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I'm right handed and can use a mouse left-handed perfectly well.  What are you complaining about?  (I don't even bother moving lefties' mice, I just use them where they are.)

Offline DiabloRojo

:wtf: It should be obvious enough that fine motor skills vary to the extreme when it comes to left or right-handed affinity between different people.

I'm almost completely ambidextrous when it comes to sports or anything involving or large movements, though I usually prefer my right for those things.  However, I cannot use my right hand for anything requiring fine precision like writing, art or using a mouse.  I'm simply not physically capable of it.  The left side of my brain developed the 'brute force' motor skills while the right side of my brain developed the fine motor skills.

More to the point, all high-end mice are only ergonomically designed for right-handed people, with the notable exception of the Razers, of which I'm not particularly fond, but may be forced to use.  For someone that is using a computer for 90% of his waking hours (network admin), right-handed mice are extremely uncomfortable and unusable for long periods of time.  Granted, an excuse to take more breaks from work wouldn't be a bad thing...

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I think I managed to fix this in code, but as I've never experienced the problem, I need one of you to test it. Make sure that you make a new pilot, as this is a HEAD build that'll corrupt 3.6.9 pilots.

Debug Build Here.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline DiabloRojo

That sir, is much, much better!  Though I tried to create a new pilot and it crashed ;)
Certainly something I did because I don't know what I'm doing with the debug versions yet.

Still, I got to the pilot selection screen and it seems to be using the windows mouse speed/acceleration perfectly. :yes: :yes:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Excellent. You'll see the change appear in 3.6.10.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.