Author Topic: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask  (Read 168947 times)

Re: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask
Definitely a BWO topic. "No news is good news."
 :wakka:

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
A move in servers a while ago...strangely the old server still hosts that content.  Which is weird.

I've been every so slowly working on a new BWO website which will eventually have all of the old content and allot of new content.  Its just I've been so busy.  Once we know we're within spitting distance of release we'll amp things up.  A new website may come before that time.

I don't like 3DAP because most of the time, when I click a link to their page, they shout something about llamas.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Yeah thats a little humor on their server admins part no doubt :)

I'm currently very slowly working on the website and planning out content.  We're actually making some good progress internally right now that I hope we'll keep up.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
About the SCP...they use many FS1 based designs, buy how far are they from FS1 in terms of technology? What do they rely on during a battle?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
About the SCP...they use many FS1 based designs, buy how far are they from FS1 in terms of technology? What do they rely on during a battle?
On a slower path than the GTVA.  While they have a huge industrial advantage over the GTVA the Sol system has seen years of turmoil and substantially less access to Shivan technology.  They have beam weapons but not on the same level as the GTVA does.  What they do have is fast moving bombs ...or torpedoes for ship killing.
- IceFire

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm glad you're not taking the "Sol can mount SSLs on everything because they have the Lucifer wreckage hurhur" approach.  From what we saw in that final cutscene, Sol would be lucky if they managed to recover much more than a thimbleful of debris from the Lucifer.  The use of capital-ship torpedoes is a potential combat avenue that has been sadly underutilized in this game; I can't wait to see what you guys do with it. :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Depends on wheter or not the torps are targetable - in INFR1 the Cruiser Torpedo was turned into an untargetable weapon due to the fact that it would have caused issues.

In FS2 Fusion Mortar projectiles are untargetable as well. IMO there should be a lot of balancing beyond the usage of powerful torpedoes.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Yeah I never thought the Lucifer debris was going to be much use.  They blew that ship to pieces and on top of that they ripped it in half.  I figure they may have learned bits and pieces but nothing really usable.  Certainly not the ability to develop Shivan beam weaponry.  But I did think they would be on a similar development path as the GTVA....beams seemed the logical thing that they would come up with.  But I wanted it to be slightly less advanced...so they have anti fighter beams (less effective), more pulsed weapons, flak (seemed logical that they would have it) but less of it, and the torpedoes.

At the moment torpedoes are targetable but the tables are likely to change somewhat before we're finished.  The special effects and torpedo models need work as well.  Basically the torpedoes are a bit like rail guns with magnetic accelerators getting them up to speed.  I wanted a suitably outfitted Sol Military destroyer to be able to almost stand up to a similar GTVA ship.  Two Orions can really duke it out between each other...with one firing torpedoes and the other using beams.  The beams are undeniably cooler but the torpdoes have their own charm.
- IceFire

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
How about a shotgun-like anti-fighter defense? Or is flak the equivalent of that? :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I really like this direction, IceFire. A lot like Blue Planet's approach, which I also really like -- and yes, I know they are very distinct, but I like the direction in both cases!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd like to compare Blue Planet's, BlackWater Operation's and Inferno's Sol factions. It'd be pretty interesting to see.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
You need to wait for BP2, BWO and INFA2 if you want to do that...it's going to take a while...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You need to wait for BP2, BWO and INFA2 if you want to do that...it's going to take a while...
I'm sure the EA are more powerful than either of the BWO or BP2 factions, but in terms of coolness... I'd like to see that.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
My Sol faction is better than EA. Earth Alliance against End War's Sol faction are like cavemen with clubs ( EA ) trying to attack a T-12 Black Eagle tank.

So, better let's not compare any Sol factions :P

Offline Snail

• SC 5
My Sol faction is better than EA. Earth Alliance against End War's Sol faction are like cavemen with clubs ( EA ) trying to attack a T-12 Black Eagle tank.
And the Terran ****ers from MT have 2 cruisers.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:58:12 pm by Snail »

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3

So, better let's not compare any Sol factions :P
Our Sol faction is not at all like these.  No super juggernauts, no super technology, no fancy fleets of brand new ships.  The Sol Coalition in BWO is in the midst of political strife and upheaval and the appearance of the GTVA is just fueling the flames.  Its a bit more nuanced :)
- IceFire

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
How about you start replying so vigorously in the internal topics too? I'm still waiting for the comments on the *Classified* :P
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Not like End War's Sol has any super-juggernauts. Yet they could beat EA with ease.

Though the Sol Coalition got me interested in BWO.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
How about you start replying so vigorously in the internal topics too? I'm still waiting for the comments on the *Classified* :P
I did!  :D

And I had to think about it first :)
- IceFire

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Not like End War's Sol has any super-juggernauts. Yet they could beat EA with ease.

Though the Sol Coalition got me interested in BWO.

Just be aware that uberness often means they're less interesting.