4 (9.8%)
Friend
2 (4.9%)
I was just searching the internet
3 (7.3%)
Other
14 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Why did you get Freespace?  (Read 4348 times)

Why did you get Freespace?
I played Darkness Rising, as it came with my Windows 98.  Recently, about 2 months ago, I got up and bought FS1 + Expansion new from Amazon, then I downloaded FS2.  I have to say, this is the best space game I've played.  Besides EVE online, of course.  ;)

I sure earned it, didn't I?  :P

Re: Why did you get Freespace?
A demo of freespace 1 shipped with an old dell barge I bought many a year ago.

Actually, I didn't know it was a demo until it abruptly ended after capturing the taranis or some such thing, had to chase down a cain with stilettos.

After getting halfway through, I had to finish, so i bought 1.

Having been in the Descent community for years, I had heard of FreeSpace, but hadn't actually played it.  When I heard about a sequel, I gave the FS2 demo a shot, and figured there were worse ways to spend fifty bucks.  In retrospect, I've gotten many, many times the value out of FRED2.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
A friend of mine showed me Freespace 1, it was the first time I'd seen anything running under Glide, and I was utterly blown away, I think only seeing Unreal 1 for the first time had the same effect on me. I loved the atmosphere, the graphics, for all my complaints about 'shiny' games, were amazing.

I'd grown up playing games like the original X-Wing with software rendering etc, so I bought a (I think) Banshee purely so I could play it.

Ah.. those were great days, Dungeon Keeper 1, Freespace, Syndicate Wars....

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I got Darkness Rising with my old Dell.  Played it, put it down for a few years.  Found it again, played it, and searched for "freespace" on some file sharing program.  That got me the HoTU version, and then I started googling FS, and wound up here through Karajorma's FAQ.  Shortly thereafter I bought FS2 on eBay and installed the SCP.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

I used to play Tachyon: The Fringe, and I loved it. Then, when playing online, some dude said that FS2 Online was better.
So, I asked my friends if they had FS2, and one dude had "FS2: Collosus". I played it, loved it, and got FS2 Retail.
Arrived at teh SCP scene recently.
Funny thing was that the first time I played FS2, I thought they copied everything from Tachyon. Its the other way around.
Every damn thing in Tachyon except the buying stuff and the glide thing was copied from FS2. The Interface has the same features in the same place.
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm kind of in BlueFlames' boat.  I remember seeing the FS1 box at a friend's house (said friend also introduced me to Descent, come to think of it...), and I remember thinking, "Huh...another Descent game?  But not?  Bwuh?"  Eventually, I learned exactly what the game was from other people in the Descent community, so I decided I'd give it a shot.  I was utterly hooked instantly (and so was my younger brother; he used to sit in the room and act as a copilot, calling out status updates :D) and tore through the game.  I wound up buying a second copy of the game just to get Silent Threat; thankfully, the fan-made missions were worth the price.  Even after I found out about FS2, it took me forever to get my hands on it (though I certainly wore out the demo in the meantime); I didn't trust eBay, and even if I did, the prices on there were outrageous.  I was finally about to bite the bullet and give it a shot, when Interplay announced the 20th Anniversary release.  $50 later, and I was finally the proud owner; the way I see it, I've gotten my money's worth a thousand times over.

(Oh, while I'm thinking of it, BlueFlames, do you ever check on PD every once in a while?  We're trying our best to keep the place running, though it's really not what it used to be at all.)

Dad bought me the FS1 and Silent Threat bundle for Christmas one year, and I thought to myself, "oh here we go, another dizzying, lame Descent game..."  But needless to say, it FAR exceeded my expectations.  (FYI I have nothing against Descent, it was just so frustrating to me at 7 years old I couldn't stand another one.)  When I heard FS2 existed, I searched and searched and searched, found the HotU version, was massively disappointed by the streamlined quality of it, searched some more, found some guy with images of the disks, played with those for a few months then forgot about em, and dug em back out again when I discovered HLP.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

my mate has been raving about how good it is and i really respect his opinion when it comes to games so i thought i'd give it a go, he brought all his Freespace stuff over including  mods and media vp updates and installed it all on my computer today
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 07:56:56 am by arlecchino »

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
I got the Mac version off of MacGameFiles and played it for awhile, then I moved on......... I then rediscovered FS2 and played it on my Windows laptop and the ReadMe directed me here........ I then remembered about FS2 on my Mac.... LOL
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
i got the demo for FS1 of the PC mag PCZone then that was me hooked and still am hooked.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I got Darkness Rising (the first mission act) with my Dell. Played it over and over again, found out that it wasn't the end, and then got the white label release.

It came free with my first PC in 2000.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I got FreeSpace2 - Colossus free with a Voodoo2 Orchid graphics accelerator card!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
The full version of FS1 came as a DVD on my IBM Aptiva(?) comp.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I found Freespace through Descent

Offline Kie99

Got FS1 free with my computer several years ago.  There were a couple of features missing (i.e. the ability to patch the game) but it didn't harm my experience.  Bought FS2 a couple of years later.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline cloneof

just searching the internets.

Saw Freespace on demo at a local computer store.  The only way to truly reel in a bystander.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
My dad owns a computer store, and he made a deal with me that if I got two good report cards, I could get a game. I saw Freespace on the shelf and randomly picked it. The rest is history :)

Oddly enough, when I first bought it I thought the 30 mission campaign was going to be too short. Boy was I wrong, haha.