Author Topic: Bulk Freighter  (Read 3092 times)

Offline nobbit

Hey there,
I dont have great model experiences but i want to make a little contribution to your mod. But there are two problems:
First i do the model with google sketchup and i don`t know how to convert this to another 3d-programm...
Second: It´s my interpretion of the bulk freigther, so it looks a little bit different from the models from the famous X-Wing series. I think it`s also a little bit smaller.  I don´t know if you like that!
So lets take a look now:

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Very nice, it kind of reminds me of the freighters from Babylon 5.
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
But we are not TBP. :nervous:
Nice model any way.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:05:19 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
:welcome: nobbit

I like the design, however it'll need a modeler to take up your design and put it into 3d to put into game. And I belive many are too busy at the moment, (and I can't model for toffee, although I mean to learn one day). So to see this in game some time soon you'll need to learn to model yourself! Good luck!  :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
That's not a bad model, but we're going for canon. We can't really use a model that deviates so heavily from what we're trying to make. On the other hand, again, it's not bad, so why don't you choose another ship, throw up some schematics for it, and try again?

We already have a bulk freighter, and it's being textured, so we couldn't really use your freighter, unfortunately. Don't be discouraged, though!

About the conversion, I'm sure sketchup can convert to some mainstream format, and that's all that's necessary.
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline Topgun

no, it can't. the con of sketchup!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There is a guide somewhere to converting sketchup models into Freespace.  It's not impossible, but it's not painless either.  And yes, we do already have a Bulk Freighter mesh.  However, if the most canon reference for a bulk freighter is in the previous games, deviating from that a little  bit can't hurt anyone.  I don't think our mesh looks exactly like the games' either (for one, ours is better).  But thanks for stopping by.  Be sure to check out the Fate of the Galaxy Shipset thread for ideas on Priority 1 Ships we still need.  I guess Brand needed to mark that the bulk freighter's mesh is already complete too.  Aside from that ship, most of that list looks accurate.  Stop by the IRC chatroom for the latest info on what's going on though, it's actually been pretty busy lately.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline nobbit

Thank you guys for your nice feedback! :) It was one of my first trys... Today i downloaded Blender and i will try some real modeling. But it looks very difficult :rolleyes:. Did anybody knows a good tutorial (maybe in german)??? If i`m successful then i will start an other model, maybe the Xiytiar-Transport...

Keep up your good work!!!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If Blender is too complicated for now, you can try Wings3d as well.  Lots of people seem to like it.  That or Truespace 3.2 is also free.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline aRaven

looking real good! we could use it as bulk freighter mark 2 with increased speed but weaker hull!!

I say we use it! :yes: