Author Topic: Music.....  (Read 15034 times)

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Copyright wise, it would be about as bad as ripping it. The thing is that you might as well rip the song because it'd sound a hundred times better.

Pointing stuff out:
Aren't you guys already ripping off quite a few things? Characters, Scenario, Ship Designs, etc. which are porbably all © LucasArts already? Won't music just be one more thing? If you're going to go so far, might as well go all the way.

In case anyone wonders, I'm not being sarcastic here.
Just try to get the mod distributed fairly well, just in case there's a c&d down the line.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
We're not directly using anything actually created by Lucas though.  Like say, models from the actual Lucas games converted into it.  We've created it ourselves.  So yeah, it's a thin legal line of course.  But using a direct rip of anything from something they published is usually bad.  But when it comes to music, we'll see what we have to do.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Well, if the whole mod gets finished (ala The Babylon Project 3.4) before a C&D, then it's rather too late anyways, if you get a few torrents going, it will always be available.  But that's really not the optimal situation.  Optimal would be if George Lucas woke up & realized that helping Lord Vader control the galaxy is not such a nice idea, and allowed such stuff as long as it was completely fan-created.  Google up Weird Al's "Don't Download This Song".

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Guys, using Star Wars-related stuff is okay as long as we use it for non-commerical purposes. Fanfilm creators don't have to ask Lucas, Williams, or anyone associated with Lucasfilm to use SW music. They don't have to ask anyone for permission to use other things like lightsaber effects or stormtrooper customes either. We are permitted to use their music as long as we don't earn a single cent on it.

Fan sites don't have to ask for anything, either. Just imagine how many permissions they would have to hand out on a daily basis.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here watching this mod for a long while... pretty much since Chief brought it back from the brink. I've played through every other damn campaign I could get my hands on in the mean time, but i'm pretty tired of waiting. :P

So I thought about how I could help things along. I'm a guitarist/song-writer with an idea on how to throw music into this mod. I liked the original freespace music alot and thought about recomposing some of the star wars tunes to sound more... sci-fi/bad-ass/whateveryouwanttocallthefreespacemusic-like.

I played around with some synths and real instruments i've got kicking around and recomposed a track out of Rogue Squardon 64. The first 40 seconds of the file is the original track, everything after that was done by me from scratch. Admittedly, it's pretty rough (weird feedback, things out of time, and a horrible mixing job), but I threw this together in an effort to get my idea across. Comments and constructive critisism appreciated.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/17/1705128/assault%20run.wma

Alternatively... We could just make some really cool fight music... like...  The Mortal Kombat theme, or some rock/metal thing... completely unrelated to star wars, but that's what I like to kill Tie Fighters to.
-Ex.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I've had some of my own ideas for music too.  Obviously we need tracks that are at least reminiscent of the original Star Wars music, but remixes are definitely useful too, and I've also thought about pulling music from other sources too.  I still really like the idea of using a bit of classical, there's so much to pull from in that genre, and some of the songs you can find really scream at you to be used for a particular purpose (ominous, fight music, etc).  I also thought a few tracks from some other movie soundtracks would fit in nicely.  But, I think remixes would be the best source, they're just also the hardest to get I would think.  I'll listen to your song soon and let you know what I think.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
I think of myself as a harsh music critic, but I actually enjoyed that piece. I actually think your contribution is a bit better sounding than the original, although maybe you should think about using more starwars style instruments, aka. brass and strings, rather than drums and guitar. But I do think that it definatley works.  Try replacing some instruments and trying to match the feel of the first part, with the pretty nice sounding musical quality of the second part.
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, I was thinking there are definitely areas of the game where that instrumentation would work well, but there's some where it really wouldn't too.  Unless we can get a radically different sound out of the instrument, not something so hardcore.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
You could try asking _Max_. He did all the BtRL stuff.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
You could probably do some interesting things with the original Midi files from X-Wing to be honest, if you use virtual instruments, you could probably 'borrow' the useful phrases ;)

Nice recording Deadeye, what did you use for you guitar sound, is that a live amp with a mic or something like Guitar Rig?

Offline Snaga

I actually enjoyed that piece. I actually think your contribution is a bit better sounding than the original, although maybe you should think about using more starwars style instruments, aka. brass and strings, rather than drums and guitar. But I do think that it definatley works. 
I really liked it too. Perhaps the only thing missing in my opinion is a sense of depth, that kind of effect given by a piano or an organ, and the same one an electrical instrumet lacks. But the style is very much for a starfighter chase.  :yes:

Thanks for the comments everyone, gives me a much better idea on what you're all looking for. I guess the goal I had in mind when I did this was to meld something starwarsy with something freespacey... and I guess it sort of worked.

I certainly recognize that that kind of a sound wouldn't work everywhere in the game. I actually added the drums and guitar on a whim. Before that it sounded more or less like the original, just cooler (if I say so myself)

Later this week i'll dig up the x-wing midi's and see what I can do with them. |

Flipside, It's a live guitar. I used Sonar 6 for recording. Sounds ok for being recorded through a stock sound card. :)

-Ex.
-Ex.

Offline aRaven

I played around with some synths and real instruments i've got kicking around and recomposed a track out of Rogue Squardon 64. The first 40 seconds of the file is the original track, everything after that was done by me from scratch. Admittedly, it's pretty rough (weird feedback, things out of time, and a horrible mixing job), but I threw this together in an effort to get my idea across. Comments and constructive critisism appreciated.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/17/1705128/assault%20run.wma

Sounds really good, although i don't thing it fits in the SWC...BTW have u anymore tracks of the rogue squadron series? I'd love to hear the good old tracks again!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
You got a nice tone there, I know it can be a pain recording live Amps. I use a live guitar, but through Guitar Rig 2, which is an Amp simulator. The ironic part is, I used to spend ages trying to get rid of amp hum, and now I use a program that actually simulates it....

aRaven, I don't currently have any of the other rogue squadron tracks on my computer... but it's as simple as hooking the old nintendo 64 up to my tv box and recording them again if you really wanted them... i'm actually working on my second "submission to the swc for evaluation" (much less rock, and much more symphonic) based on another track out of it.

If you give me a while, I'll rip those off. There are some catchy tunes in there aren't there?

-Ex.
-Ex.

Offline Topgun

I could rip some music from star wars racer if you want.

Offline aRaven

If you give me a while, I'll rip those off. There are some catchy tunes in there aren't there?

That would be great!

I could rip some music from star wars racer if you want.

Thanks, but SW Racer uses the original Episode I Soundtrack, which I own already!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...and prequel music does not fit the aura of the Galactic Civil War, I think. Those tracks are more Jedi-like to my ears.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aRaven

well it depends IMO...there is nothing wrong with prequel music if we see prequel ships onscreen.