Author Topic: Lost Tales  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Cavane

Well, I just got done watching it.  Pretty good stuff, I urge everyone to purchase it, if possible, so they can keep producing these.  Here's my small, no-spoiler review.

First segment, starring Lochley:  This is the episode that features the man we saw in the teaser with glowing eyes.  It introduces two new characters, including him.  Lochley is the only character, apart from a few extras, which may have been CGI anyway.  Both new actors were great, particularly the glowing-eyes man.  Also, we get to see a new hyperspace gate effect which is just superb.

Second segment, starring Sheridan and Galen:  A new Centauri character is introduced, with decent acting, and a good accent.  Not as good as Londo's, of course, but quite nice.  Aside from him, and a few scenes with Lochley, this episode is mainly Sheridan and Galen.  We also get a few seconds of footage inside the Starfury's cockpit, which is quite nice.  The battle scene seen in the teaser is in this part, and sadly, had nothing added to it.  The Warlock beams are still white as well.   :doubt:

Overall, I was pleased with Lost Tales.  The visual effects are amazing and the acting is good.  It's nice to have some fresh B5 material, and I hope to see more of these!  Oh, one last thing.  They added a voiceover of G'Kar at the beginning.  Very nice that the commemorated Andreas like that.

:yes:  :yes:

Offline cloneof

Yeah Lost Tales is good! New effects are quite awesome!

Offline -Norbert-

The Warlock beams are still white as well.
Oh well... let's say they are new and improved versions, that burn white-hot  :p

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i didn't much care for the first part, but the second part was decent.  they clearly did't give him much of a budget to work with so he had to work within it.. and introducing new characters is a setup for the future..... hopefully he makes enough off this to fund further work ith better budgets and more action.
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I didn't care much for the first part either.

Spoiler:
It was too large a departure from B5's standard hinting that the supernatural may or may not exist to go straight to God exists, demons exist. And unlike the episodes there was a very obvious lack of a B and C story.

The second part was a better story (although I doubt anyone thought Sheridan would actually shoot a (somewhat) innocent teenager based on crimes he might commit in the future) and I did enjoy seeing Sheridan take up his old rivalry with reporters again. The comment about G'kar and Franklin being beyond the rim was nice too.

I also hope that this is enough to get more made. So everyone here better go buy it if they got it buy nefarious means!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The first part seemed a bit weak, something that should have been a "B" or "C" plot in a later release.

The second story was fun, though 'quantum space' seemed rather tacked on (afterall wasn't the last Vorlon experiment we knew about dealing with that sort of thing what led to an invasion?....)

The Centauri character was well done, and the effects were also well done.

The blue screening was a bit obvious in some bits, and it would have been nice to have some more extras to keep the station from seeming as empty.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Cavane

Yeah, at first I thought the Quantumspace thing was just Sheridan messing with the reporter, but then the bridge crew mentioned it...  seemed a bit contrived.  Ah well, I'm not going to go picking it apart, I'll just enjoy it.  *loads LT up again*

I hope they will have space battles that last longer then 10 seconds in future releases, but everyting else was good.  It felt like B5 was in business again.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
When it comes to the extras I did especially love the memorial to Andreas and Richard. Very touching.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
cant wait till it comes to the UK
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
question about TLT 1th story (couldn't buy it yet, Releasedate is 9th September here in Germany):

I heard criticism about it, just because for very religious motive in B5, there is a logical explanation ( Human souls reborn ? Of course the triliminarium just reacted on Sinclairs human DNA.  Soulhunter suck souls ? They just copy your brain structure, ... ), aside from that stupid Day of the Dead.     
But in LostTales, it was rumored to have supernatural, fantasy-like events again without any explanation.

True ?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Yup, that's pretty much the case.

...and I doubt it'll be revisited as a plot point showing what race banished these people onto various worlds. It could be a way of tying up "The Hand" plot. Having that they were cast down and bound to various worlds by Lorien long before the Shadows and Vorlons were dancing around.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Its definitely a very strong religious overtone (there's even a Priest).  When it comes down to it its not really completely explained and its "religiousness" remains intact at the end but given what we've seen of the rest of the B5 universe the connections to various scifi elements are definitely there.  We've seen a bit of what Galen can do.

Basically its open...believe what you want to believe.

I do think it was sort of strange in tone given what they are trying to do here but it was interesting.

The Lost Tales wasn't quite as B5 used to be but it was nice to be back.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
yep, every new b5 thing is a reason for PARTY
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline -Norbert-

I have another theory on the matter of the first part.

Spoiler:
We know that JMS likes to draw parallels to myth (Shadow Vorlon conflict - Babylonian creation myth).

So what do we know about Lucifer?
According to myth he was an angel who fell.
We know that the Vorlons liked to pose as angles.

So maybe Lucifer was a Vorlon, who did some things the other Vorlons didn't like, which was so horrible/tabo/immoral/whatever to Vorlon standards that they exiled him and bound him forever into the core of earth.

Then the daemons could be some of his creations (likely the reason for his punishment), maybe Humans pushed in the direction of what Ironheart became in "Mindwar".
But to torment Lucifer further, the Vorlons didn't destroy his creations, but bound them into the same prison their master was in.

This could explain were "our" legend of Lucifer and hell came from. We saw it as an angel rebelling against God and being cast down by the loyal angles, were it "really" was a fight among the Vorlons, appearing as angles to the Humans.
And his turning Humans into monsters would explain why the devil (aka Lucifer) was supposed to corrupt Humans.

// edit: made spoilerific by G5K
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:33:59 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually lets take that idea a little further....

Spoiler:
Lucifer has always been seen as an agent of chaos so what if this Vorlon's unspeakable crime was to embrace the Shadow philosophy of grown through conflict?

Offline -Norbert-

Could be.
There could be some pretty cool episodes with this little theory as main story  ;)

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Nice ideas. You guys should e-mail those to JMS, if he doens.t all ready have em.
BTW what's B5:TLT UK release date?
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
About 3-4 days to a week from now IIRC.

Overall I was really into this dvd. Though I missed the huge sets with the numerous extras I still felt that it did good. I found the first part to have some seriously good dialog in my opinion while second holds great potential and was my favorite too. Long live B5
I have created a masterpiece.