Author Topic: lagging hard! Is there a fix besides using low-mediem quality?  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Trasher258

• I'm a gamer but I'm shy...autistic
    • My Windows Live Space
lagging hard! Is there a fix besides using low-mediem quality?
I'm trying to run the game as smoothly as possiable but it doesn't handle large object too well. (Capital ship, Astroids, ect.) I hate when it lags because it messes up my aim! Like when a fighter is in front of a cruiser. It still runs though. I use all the grahpic enhanchments from mediavps. Can I fix this without having to lower the quality level? I already tried to run it in D3D but it crashes. It ran better under that. It evens lags within FS2 campian.

This is my current system hardware and OS version:

OS version: Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2
Manfacturer: eMachines
Model: T6212
Graphics Card: ATI Randon Xpress 200
Processer: AMD Athlon(tm) 64
RAM: 896 MB
They see things, they ask "Why?" But I dream of things that never were, I say "Why not?"

Offline Topgun

Re: lagging hard! Is there a fix besides using low-mediem quality?
delete adveffects.vp from the mediavps.

Offline Trasher258

• My Windows Live Space
I'm trying to free up as much RAM as possiable. Some programs are just being stubbern and keep launching themselves after they were closed once. (I know what is and isn't a virus) I'll figure that out but still... okay... nevermind. Some odd "Apple" program is on here...
They see things, they ask "Why?" But I dream of things that never were, I say "Why not?"

Offline Topgun

that sounds like a virus to me...

Offline Trasher258

• My Windows Live Space
Nope, it not... I just scanned it. Anyway, I removed the mv_adveffect.vp file but it still lags. :mad: I'll set the graphics to mediem then...

Offline Topgun

it shouldn't go that slow.
2 things
1 what did you scan for viruses with?
2 if it's not a virus or some other "bad stuff", then their is something wrong with your computer.

Offline Trasher258

• My Windows Live Space
AGGHHH!!! it's--still lagging. RAM or OpenGL? I wish the next build fixed the D3D because FSO runs smoother that way on my PC. Except it crashes at the loading screen when using D3D. I scaned it with Nortern AntiVirus 2007. I can say my CD-ROM drive is messed up but that doesn't have to do with anything here.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 06:57:06 pm by Trasher258 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Try unplugging your CD-ROM drive?  It's possible that it's causing a prob.. IDK.  Got the latest sound & video drivers?  Getting a real GFX card would prolly help a bit.  Your RAM is fine, trust me, it runs fine on 512.

Offline Trasher258

• My Windows Live Space
Well, I guess I just have to use mediem quality ingame then. Or turn off the graphical enhancments. I guess it can't take too much.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Those eMachines are cheap.  Your graphics card isn't really accelerated; it's designed more for videos than games.  The RAM quantity is sufficient, as is your processor (I think, most of the 64bit processors are fast enough).  Your bottleneck is video.

Delete adveffects.  The rest of the options may need to be turned down some, but not too much.  I run the game on a much older processor and considerably less RAM, but I have a decent video card in this thing too.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ya.  Get a real GFX card.  If you were going to get one, what would be your price range?

Offline Trasher258

• My Windows Live Space
Well, There is an easy way to find one using ATI's graphics card wizard. Click here ---> http://buy.ati.com/productinfo/ua/index.asp <--- to view it.