Author Topic: Multiplayer server hosts  (Read 18181 times)

Offline Shade

Re: Multiplayer server hosts
It will be as soon as I'm done typing it...

[Edit] http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=1493
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 02:16:30 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Verify that it still happens with my Xt builds before starting to hack on this karajorma.  Most of the FS2NetD code was rewritten, for 3.6.10, and whatever this problem might be it could be that it's fixed already.

Offline Shade

I'm afraid it happens on Xt builds as well, else I wouldn't have added it to Mantis.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I'm afraid it happens on Xt builds as well, else I wouldn't have added it to Mantis.
Check multi.log for anything that might indicate a problem.  I fixed the logging to make all of that stuff more useful when debugging things like this.

Offline Shade

Actually I just found something interesting. It doesn't happen on Xt debug builds. Could it be something as simple as compiler optimizations?

Multi.log shows some supposedly validated missions as invalid (not many, and no [V] missions, only from the mission pack), otherwise nothing that springs to mind. My multi.log file for non-Xt builds is useless due to bloat (100mb+ from less than 1 minute of being connected to FS2Net).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:08:10 pm by Shade »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Actually I just found something interesting. It doesn't happen on Xt debug builds. Could it be something as simple as compiler optimizations?
No, I think it's just the code.  My Xt builds have the FS2NetD v.2 code base, which is basically a rewrite of the client and server to be more cross-platform, fix a ton of bugs, and add modular table support.  The server side is largely the same (the v.1 server code was upgraded along the way too), except for validation and a couple of bug fixes that enhance compatibility with the new client code.  The v.1 and v.2 servers do use the same database for users, stats, and mission/table CRCs, but they are otherwise incompatible.  This bug is likely just something that I worked out in the new code, since most of the client code was either rewritten, or written from scratch.

EDIT: Crap, just realized that you might have meant that it did happen with release Xt builds, but not with the debug Xt builds.  In that case I suppose that it could be optimizations, but I'm pretty careful about avoiding stuff like that.  This wouldn't be the first time that MSVC6 kicked out bad optimizations though.   :rolleyes:

Multi.log shows some supposedly validated missions as invalid (not many, and no [V] missions, only from the mission pack), otherwise nothing that springs to mind.
It could just be that the missions aren't in the validation database.  The log should give you the CRCs it detected from the missions that it declared invalid.  Send me those mission names and the CRCs and I'll make sure that they get added to the database.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Yay moved into Dorm!

ThinkPad T61
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM
nVidia Quadro NVS 140 (128MB)
Intel Turbo Memory 1GB
Windows Vista Ultimate
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
...The question is, does your port UDP 7808 forward correctly?  (I can go multi with you and test if you want).

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
...The question is, does your port UDP 7808 forward correctly?  (I can go multi with you and test if you want).

Trying to test right now... get on IRC.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Shade

As requested, the mission pack missions that aren't passing validation:

Quote from: multi.log
09/09 00:51:11~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: SWR-21.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0x88b39e3f
09/09 00:51:11~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: SWR-20.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0xfc43303e
09/09 00:51:12~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: lucifer.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0xa6852b18
09/09 00:51:12~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: longroad.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0x6644fea0
09/09 00:51:12~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: inv-team05.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0xff7bea19
09/09 00:51:12~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: haftraning_m01_a.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0x04ac855d
09/09 00:51:12~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: fw2a-01a.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0x0c5b2f8d
09/09 00:51:12~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: dfall3b.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0xc84fa8ea
09/09 00:51:12~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: cet_mt01_a.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0x30421dea
09/09 00:51:12~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: cet_m02_a.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0x2f0688b8
09/09 00:51:13~   FS2NetD Mission Validation: bdhr.fs2  =>  INVALID! -- 0x71d05f00

[Edit] Or perhaps I should bloody well PM them as the post says, instead of posting them here where they might be overlooked. Reading comprehension++.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 06:05:37 pm by Shade »

Hiyah!

colecampbell666 pm'ed me second time about my FreeSpace 2 hosting, so:

My computer specs:
256kbs download and upload...  It's radio connection, so it have it's own sense of humour. Sometimes it works better than it's technical specificaton says, but also sometimes loses signal in the worst possible momment ^^
Operating System: Windows XP
RAM: 1GB
Processor: CeleronM 1.7ghz
Video Card: ATI Radeon Mobile (Yes, it's notebook)
Video Memory: 256mb
My location: Poland

I'm hosting every day (or almost every day) around 19.00 GTM+1 and I'm playing till late night. Sometimes {303} Hippo is the host, becouse of his internet connection which is better than mine.

See You in Space,

{303}Psychoo
Expect the best. Be prepared for the worst.