Author Topic: Halo 3 Footage from GC07  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
Re: Halo 3 Footage from GC07
Oh, I have no hostility towards Halo, but FPSs in general, Halo happens to be one of them.

Yes, it does look very polished and of decent quality, but it offers nothing new.  It is just like every other game of its type.  The FPS rage was cool when UT came out.  Then came Tribes 2, which added a lot of new things.  By the time UT2k4 came out, the genre was showing its limitations.  It was becoming stale.  Now we have Halo 3, a game just like every other one before it.  A newer version of the same thing.

I know that's a gross generalization of FPSs, but generalizations are usually true.  Halo 3 looks like it would rawk if it were its own game, but I'm rather tired of the whole FPS craze.  It would be a different story if something innovative came along...  Something along the lines of a semi-MMO aspect (hundreds on a battlefield, not tens), or gameplay that didn't indicate the domination of two dimensional thinking.

But that's just me.  I'm not saying it's a bad game, per se, but it's just based on a bunch of hype because it looks better.  And agreed, for each their own.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
It would be a different story if something innovative came along...  Something along the lines of a semi-MMO aspect (hundreds on a battlefield, not tens), or gameplay that didn't indicate the domination of two dimensional thinking.

Can you clarify your second point? As for scale of conflict, well, Halo 3 has scale coming out of it's a** considering you go from this:

to this:

And like I said earlier, some encounters have enough units apparently to reach into the 100s.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:52:05 pm by Deepblue »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yes, it does look very polished and of decent quality, but it offers nothing new.  It is just like every other game of its type.  The FPS rage was cool when UT came out.  Then came Tribes 2, which added a lot of new things.  By the time UT2k4 came out, the genre was showing its limitations.

I find it interesting you cite games known for their multiplayer, whereas things like Halo and Gears of War made their reps on their single player. In fact, two of those I know for certain are multiplayer-only. (Not sure about the original UT, I've frankly never given a flying **** about the series.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:15:41 pm by ngtm1r »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Roanoke

Spoiler:
Elites are actually siding with humans against Covenant this time around so your going to see Arbiter around but you don't play as him

Spoiler:
It just won't be Halo if you're not fighting Elites. And I hope they come up with something better than bloody brutes if that is the case

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Spoiler:
While I do want to fight Elites, it was pretty awesome teaming up with them in Halo 2's Arbiter missions, so hopefully that's good enough. And the Brutes are going to be much, much better this time 'round.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
But that's just me.  I'm not saying it's a bad game, per se, but it's just based on a bunch of hype because it looks better.  And agreed, for each their own.

I couldn't give a damn about improved graphics. The only reason I want to play Halo 3 is for the storyline. I kinda want to find out what happens and I figure the gameplay should be worth sticking with the game long enough to find out.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Oh, I have no hostility towards Halo, but FPSs in general, Halo happens to be one of them.

Yes, it does look very polished and of decent quality, but it offers nothing new.  It is just like every other game of its type.  The FPS rage was cool when UT came out.  Then came Tribes 2, which added a lot of new things.  By the time UT2k4 came out, the genre was showing its limitations.  It was becoming stale.  Now we have Halo 3, a game just like every other one before it.  A newer version of the same thing.

I know that's a gross generalization of FPSs, but generalizations are usually true.  Halo 3 looks like it would rawk if it were its own game, but I'm rather tired of the whole FPS craze.  It would be a different story if something innovative came along...  Something along the lines of a semi-MMO aspect (hundreds on a battlefield, not tens), or gameplay that didn't indicate the domination of two dimensional thinking.

Its true...there hasn't been too much in the way of innovation in the FPS genre.  But then I think most of the genres are suffering from a lack of innovation.  There are some interesting bits here and there that push things along but the whole games industry has settled down a bit.  Its a bit more like TV now where most of the big ideas have been fleshed out before and sales are made on capturing people that like the same thing just with different scenery (sort of like sitcoms which I see as generally all being the same but with different actors and sets).

So if you don't terribly like FPS's then certainly Halo won't appeal any more than any of the others.  I'm not a huge FPS fan but I like the ones with a little extra panache and Halo does it for me.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
Can you clarify your second point? As for scale of conflict, well, Halo 3 has scale coming out of it's a** considering you go from this:
*snip*
to this:
*snip*

And like I said earlier, some encounters have enough units apparently to reach into the 100s.
2 dimensional thinking meaning that while one map may involve several planes of levels, your primary targets will be on the same plane, or all in the same immediate vicinity.  Not often you see a non-sniper shooting up or down at medium range.

I cannot compare the two stages of conflict based on a pair of 5 second GIFs.

The conditionals of 'some', 'enough', and 'apparently' do not adequately rebut my point.

I find it interesting you cite games known for their multiplayer, whereas things like Halo and Gears of War made their reps on their single player. In fact, two of those I know for certain are multiplayer-only. (Not sure about the original UT, I've frankly never given a flying **** about the series.)
True, I suppose it needs clarification.  I was referring to the common DM style FPSing.  I can't judge Halo based on its single player attributes, as I have never played it.  But being more of the same is obvious for the sake of multiplayer.  Nothing but Run n Gun, Spray n Pray, and the like.  Whoever has the fastest twitch wins.  There is no such thing as tactics in DM FPSes.  That's my beef :).

EDIT:  ACK!  Instaposted and points made...  Twice!
* Scuddie begins to feel insufficient :(
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
While most FPS' are 2-dimensional in nature (they are, after all, not Descent), I find that Halo usually has quite a few multiplayer maps with more 3d gameplay - Guardian (like lockout), the Chill-Out remake, Epitaph, and others. And the addition of something like the grav lift allows you to get to upper ground on most maps. One of my favorite things to do in High Ground for example was climb up in the trees with a shotgun and sniper rifle, snipe, and when someone came running beneath, dropping on their heads with a melee and shotgun blast to the head. Epitaph especially looks to be far more vertical than more traditional maps, with the main power weapon on the map (the sword) being located on a tiny floating platform between two man cannons. The result? Epic duels flying through the air in a distinctly vertical style.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I couldn't give a damn about improved graphics. The only reason I want to play Halo 3 is for the storyline. I kinda want to find out what happens and I figure the gameplay should be worth sticking with the game long enough to find out.
Arr, me too.  It's the only reason I played Halo, in fact.  Usually, I stay away from FPS games because I can't play for longer than 30-60 minutes at a stretch without getting debilitating motion-sickness.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The story is the heart of the games.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
True, I suppose it needs clarification.  I was referring to the common DM style FPSing.  I can't judge Halo based on its single player attributes, as I have never played it.  But being more of the same is obvious for the sake of multiplayer.  Nothing but Run n Gun, Spray n Pray, and the like.  Whoever has the fastest twitch wins.  There is no such thing as tactics in DM FPSes.  That's my beef :).[/quote]
Most FPS's are spray and pray twitch fests...Halo shares the same attributes but the are some differences that make it a little more interesting in my book which is why I enjoy it. The first is that the enemies over the two (and now three no doubt) games tend to require unique approaches to beating each of them.

You've got these short little swarms of infantry guys that are fairly easy to beat up on ...they even run away and fear you in an almost comedic fashion and then you have baddies like the Elites which are quite strong and actually you learn to fear them as they are pretty much as capable as the player is and finally you have these really big bruisers where the best way to take them down is to wait till they turn their back or you can get around them and hit them in the soft parts because their armor lets them take hits from almost anything.

Still sort of a formula and once you know what you need to do things get a bit easier and you just have to do it but it does require some thought when getting into an area on a single player map and there are multiple bad guys to think about.  I tend to use cover allot to get through certain areas rather than go toe to toe in the usual spray and pray fashion.  MP is more the common DM fare but SP I'd say is more interesting.

Its still not Rainbow Six good where you NEED tactics to just survive but its not bad.  Bungie also has their "one, two, three" approach where you have your ranged weapons, then your grenades for large groups if you employ them properly, and the melee bit where you either have a Covenant energy sword or you just smack the baddie with your rifle/pistol/other ranged weapon.  You don't always see this and it becomes a nice combination to use.

Any FPS is going to be a twitch fest but your right in that its nice to require some thought and tactics to approach scenarios.  Halo doesn't have this in spades but it does have it.
- IceFire

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
With regard to the multiplayer - while it can be played as a DM twitch fest, the core gameplay is all about strategy. Getting the power weapons, getting to the best ground, and defending your position from others. A good example is Snowbound, one of the maps in the beta. With tight corridors under the surface, the shotgun is located in between the two major spawn zones and is a key power weapon in controlling that zone. Adding to this are the addition of shield walls, in which delicate games of cat and mouse take place as players stare each other down through weapon-impenetrable walls of energy, each one looking to find the upper hand in either a strong short range weapon to quickly take down the opponent (the shotgun) or a clever ruse to draw the shotgun wielding player out of his protective caves into the stinging barbs of a spike grenade carefully placed on the wall by the retreating figure. Or perhaps, another player flanks the shotgun-wielder from behind and disposes of him. Additions like the shield doors may be subtle, but they have a dramatic effect on the general ebb and flow of a map.

With regard to the golden triangle - guns, grenades, and melee, we have another subtle addition to the formula. Sure the golden triangle is still there in full effect, but the addition of equipment allows a period of respite - giving players a chance to recover and plan their next move.

The crucial problem with games like Rainbow Six, which I love and adore, is that they usually devolve into camp fests because, tactically, it makes sense. Unfortunately, dealing with a camper is not very much fun. On the other hand, it can be played on a very high level with members of teams specializing their roles and moving together to accomplish the objective, be it via the assistance of a radar jammer or a pack of C4 on a door covered by hostiles. Halo seems to keep balance well, always giving players a chance to fight back and win in pretty much any situation, whereas if you're outnumbered or ill-equipped in R6 you are, frankly, screwed. They are different types of play entirely, and I enjoy both completely.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 03:51:58 pm by Deepblue »

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
The camp fest is the core of Rainbow Six gameplay.  I enjoyed the fact that I could go into that game and be strategic without being called a camper.  The game had so many ways to defeat a camper that it didn't seem to matter anyways...grenades, heart beat sensor, thermal sights on sniper rifles.  Just required a proper approach to get the guy in the corner.
- IceFire

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
 :lol:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Roanoke

The camp fest is the core of Rainbow Six gameplay.  I enjoyed the fact that I could go into that game and be strategic without being called a camper.  The game had so many ways to defeat a camper that it didn't seem to matter anyways...grenades, heart beat sensor, thermal sights on sniper rifles.  Just required a proper approach to get the guy in the corner.

I always liked the weapons in RS. They always felt big 'n' meaty, as a gun should. The Ak47 in Operation Flashpoint, for example, didn't shoot bullets. It farted them. In RS it sounds big and, I dunno, "violent" ?
I have to be in the mood to play RS though.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:55:34 pm by Roanoke »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I like this one better.

:lol:

This one is "more better good" :lol:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I like this one better.

LOL

Alltouhg I guess he WILL be pissed when he comes back, they way we're going... :blah:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!