Author Topic: Do I get a Xbox 360 or a PS3?  (Read 4345 times)

Do I get a Xbox 360 or a PS3?
My PS2 died a couple months back so I'm faced with a dilema, which new console do I get? There are pros and cons to both it seems. The 360 is cheaper, has more games, better graphics in some games, and Halo 3. But, it does not have a next gen disc player built in and it seems to have alot more system failures. The PS3 has Blu-Ray, Bluetooth, less system failures, and backwards compatibility with my 30+ PS1 and PS2 games. But, it is more expensive, less games, and games don't look as good as thier 360 counterparts. Can't think of any other pros or cons at the moment.

Re: Do I get a Xbox 360 or a PS3?
Well, as a content 360 owner who has a friend who owns a PS3, I can say with some certainty that 360 is the better deal.  Even the high end model, the elite, is still over $100 cheaper than the high end PS3 model.  As for hardware failures, every 360 now has a 3 year warranty, meaning even if you don't get one of the first models you can still get it fixed for free.

In terms of games, 360 already has a great lineup with exclusive games like Gears of War, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Prey, and Bioshock.  Those games it shares with the PS3 generally look and play better on the 360, and have exclusive content to boot.  That snags you another two games in Darkness and Oblivion.

Now you might argue that the price of the PS3 is because of the next generation disc player, but in all honesty, are you looking to play games or watch high definition movies?  In addition, assuming Blue-ray one day wins out over HD, MS will just release a blue ray player add on as they've done with the HD player.  With a PS3, I always got the feeling you're being forced to buy something you may not actually want.  With the 360, there's a bit more flexibility.

In addition, not all PS1 games are backwards compatible with the PS3, just as not all X-box games are compatible with the 360.  Also, many of the so called 'good' PS3 games are mediocre at best.  Resistance Fall of Man is frankly boring and borrows the worst elements of Killzone and Call of Duty to create a terrible shooter. Many other 'big' games for PS3 have also received bad reviews, Heavenly Sword, Lair, ect.

A big reason to get a 360 if you have a decent connection is Xbox-Live, which is vastly superior to PS3's online network, but isn't free.  The ability to download demos and play with your friends easily is a big selling point, but online play may not be your bag so I put this in as another pro.

Not to mention the great exlusives coming out for 360 in the next year.  Ace Combat 6, Eternal Sonata, Dead Rising 2, Lost Planet 2, Mass Effect, Too Human, Gears of War 2, Splinter Cell (whatever the next title is), and more.

I'll sum it up like this.  If you want to play good games with great content on a cheaper console but a 360.  If you want a blue-ray player, buy a PS3.
GTI Rebellion FREDer

Dissident Theory

Permissum sacramentum non exsisto infractus , per fides exsisto led.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I just bought a XBox 360 and I'm generally pleased with my decision to buy it.  There are pros and cons of both but for me it came down to certain games I wanted to buy that were on XBox 360 and not on PS3.  Also...seeing as I already had an XBox I can basically play all of my old games on the new console and take advantage of the really nice wireless controller.

I'm not in the majority here but I'm also enjoying the fact that I can now display my photos and videos from my computer (Vista Home Premium) via the Media Center option.  Its a great way to gather the family around the TV and show off photos from holidays.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I don't know why you feel the need to ask other people what you want. Get what you feel is the best console for you.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I personally would say the 360 is 'the best console for you', given the current games library and its price. Furthermore, it seems like more and more developers are focusing on the 360 (apparently the PS3 is tough to program for, though that might just be a product of perception.)

At the moment the PS3 has very little to match the 360's lineup.

I think your concern that you'll need a BluRay player is probably not justified. If BluRay gets big, standalone players will become cheaper - and in any case, direct downloads from the Internet are always an option (there are legal channels, yes.)

That's my recommendation.

I haven't had a system failure yet, and I understand Microsoft's extended the warranty to three years for cases of the most common failure types.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
MGS4
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
MGS4
If it were out now, i'd agree. But it's not out now. It won't be out for 6 months minimum, and there's no guaruntee that it'll be the bees knees as everyone seems to think.

Play it safe, go with the console that will give you the most fun now, rather than merely an investment on future fun. Heck, I might take this opportunity to be the asshole of the thread and suggest you go the Wii360 route.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 01:36:56 am by Mefustae »

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I prefer the 360 because of price, and the fact that the titles I'm wanting are releasing on it, as well as the PS3.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
You might as well ask 'Should I buy Windows or Linux?' or 'Should I buy ATI or NVidia?'

The PS3 has issues, real or imaginary, around Sales and Price, the 360 has issues, real or imaginary. regarding the 'Red Ring of Death and Disk Scratching.

To look at it from a 360 owners view, the PS3 is an overpriced console that has under-achieved and has an uncertain future, from a PS3 owners' point of view the 360 is a console that overheats and eats disks.

I think you see what I'm getting at ;)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Don't move the 360 or tilt it while there's a disc in the drive. That's largely what causes disc-eating.

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
X360 has already reached its potential in many games, PS3 has not.  PS3 has more long term potential than X360.  The keyword here is potential.  To be taken literally.  The potential for the PS2 was many times more than the XBox, but it was never reached (not even close).  If fully utilized, the PS2 would run circles around the XBox.

The PS3 costs lots more, true, but blame the hardware for that.  Blue laser diodes are not cheap.  It shows because the X360 uses a red diode, as it is DVD-9.  To be able to use HD-DVD you require an addon which closes the price gap quite nicely.

The X360 has a year and a half of experience under its belt, the PS3 just a few months.  XBox Live is a proven multiplayer model.  Playstation Online (?) has yet to be decently established.  It is uncertain how good it will be down the line.

With that said, I think the best plan is to get an X360 now, and get a PS3 in a year and a half or two.  X360 for now, PS3 for later.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Don't move the 360 or tilt it while there's a disc in the drive. That's largely what causes disc-eating.
See I don't understand how anyone even found that sort of thing out (the disc scratching).  When you start up a console it stays where it is in its place until you're done with it.  Given that XBox 360 comes with a wireless controller there is no need to move it at all.  I have it sitting on one of the shelves of the TV stand (its nice and open so good airflow) and there it stays.
- IceFire

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
It can be a problem if you have a real beefy subwoofer though.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Why would you have them that close to each other?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I don't. But even so, there are still small vibrations. Then again, I haven't gotten any scratched games yet.

Well here is the thing, I have almost 1000 dollars in Best Buy store credit so I could get both, but I was hoping to get one and a new tv. Also the online service is not too big an issue as I still can't get anything but dial-up and satellite at my new house. Comcast lied to me before I moved and told me my home is servicable but in fact is 5 miles away from service.

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
Then buy an X360 and a 34" Samsung slim CRT HiDef...  That is if you care about picture quality more than the size and weight of the TV.  Otherwise get a Sharp LCD and pray it looks good.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I do recommend getting an HDTV if at all possible. The higher resolution really makes a difference. You'll need the necessary input cables, I think.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Then buy an X360 and a 34" Samsung slim CRT HiDef...  That is if you care about picture quality more than the size and weight of the TV.  Otherwise get a Sharp LCD and pray it looks good.

Why's that? The 37 inch Sharp Aquos I have is very nice.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
In a proper setup the subwoofer is supposed to sit somewhere else and for good taste it really shouldn't be cranked enough to make the whole room vibrate at the slightest sound.  Thats just bad sound balancing.

The 37in Sharps are pretty nice TV's from what I've seen.
- IceFire