Author Topic: Roanoke's F-Body Dreamz  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Roanoke

Roanoke's F-Body Dreamz
aka No More Wasting Money on Bloody Plastic Bricks aka Roanoke vs Generic Euro Motors:

or

Burbly V8 with 200bhp, Rear Wheel Drive, 80s fast back styling, rare as rockin' horse poo (in the uk). What's not to like ?
Big, so I probably couldn't park it. LHD & a big v8 so I probably couldn't drive or insure it. Probably wouldn't fit in my lock-up so I couldn't store it, but I still love 'em. Especially the Camaro, long before Top Gear get hold of one.

Yarr.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Roanoke's F-Body Dreamz
Well...good for you, man! :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Nice, but
rare as rockin' horse poo
:wtf:
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline DiabloRojo

• Como los chupacabras para desayuno.
    • Dienet - The Place You Go to Die (back after 5 years, baby!)
Cole, you did see that he's in the UK, right?
Er, though I'm not sure what "rockin' horse poo" is, but I've never seen or heard of it to my knowledge, so it must be rare!

But yeah, thanks to the post-gas-crunch automotive dark ages, they had the weakest V-8s EVAR.  Had an '82 Z-28
Massive (especially by today's standards) 5 liter V-8 pushing an astounding 165 horsepower at the crank.

My Sol has 100 more with a 2 liter four-banger under the hoo-er, bonnet.  Granted, it's turbo'ed.
Hey, get an Opel GT, Roanoke!  It gets good mileage ("kilometerage"?) fits in a mouse hole and shreds tires better than any 80's V8.  ;)

Offline Davros

but we have corners in england

Offline Roanoke

Cole, you did see that he's in the UK, right?
Er, though I'm not sure what "rockin' horse poo" is, but I've never seen or heard of it to my knowledge, so it must be rare!

But yeah, thanks to the post-gas-crunch automotive dark ages, they had the weakest V-8s EVAR.  Had an '82 Z-28
Massive (especially by today's standards) 5 liter V-8 pushing an astounding 165 horsepower at the crank.

My Sol has 100 more with a 2 liter four-banger under the hoo-er, bonnet.  Granted, it's turbo'ed.
Hey, get an Opel GT, Roanoke!  It gets good mileage ("kilometerage"?) fits in a mouse hole and shreds tires better than any 80's V8.  ;)

That sounds more like the previous Gen3 models circa 1976. The mid seventies Z28 generated 175bhp IIRC. Pretty sure the IROC made circa 200bhp but I don't have any sources to hand.

Offline DiabloRojo

• Como los chupacabras para desayuno.
    • Dienet - The Place You Go to Die (back after 5 years, baby!)
Yep, the high-output model of the 5-liter went in the '83 model year.

First year of the 3rd gens, '82, the fuel-injected V-8 rated at 165hp.  But it did rate at 230 or 240 (I think) lb/ft of torque.  It'd still move, just not high-revving for sure.  I don't think it was until 84 or 85 that they officially broke the 200bhp mark.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
oh the F-body, for a GM. you are pretty sweet.  (I love me mopars  :P ) I knew some idiots back in High School who had one.  I'm impressed they're still alive.

long before Top Gear get hold of one

and as much as i love the Top Gear crew, they just don't appreciate good american muscle.  its not about finesse, or handling, or doing anything beyond chugging back the gas and putting a huge amount of rubber on the pavement.  The roads run straight in the New World, none of this twisty british roads.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Neato! Now all you gotta do is bloody up the hood with some pedestrian entrails! Blood everywhere!

Offline Roanoke

First year of the 3rd gens, '82, the fuel-injected V-8 rated at 165hp.  But it did rate at 230 or 240 (I think) lb/ft of torque.  It'd still move, just not high-revving for sure.  I don't think it was until 84 or 85 that they officially broke the 200bhp mark.

Well whichever way it panned out going fast isn't what I'm after but that is handy to know. So long as it isn't slow (ie sluggish), sounds good and is distinctive I'll be well happy. Used to be a Chevy Astrovan near me and in a world of cooking 4-pots it sounded awesome. You'd feel it before you'd see/hear it.  The fact it has low bhp-per-lite/cubic-inch suggests it's fairly simple mechanically and not stressed, which suits me.

Personally, I'd always take a lazy V8 over a high output Turbo motor but that's just my personal preference.  :)

oh the F-body, for a GM. you are pretty sweet.  (I love me mopars  :P ) I knew some idiots back in High School who had one.  I'm impressed they're still alive.

long before Top Gear get hold of one

and as much as i love the Top Gear crew, they just don't appreciate good american muscle.  its not about finesse, or handling, or doing anything beyond chugging back the gas and putting a huge amount of rubber on the pavement.  The roads run straight in the New World, none of this twisty british roads.

I'm fairly certain the TopGear car was a base model 2.8 v6  :no:. You're spot on about why I fancy one though.  :yes:
As for MOPAR, I can't immediatly think of a Chrysler equivilant to the F-Bodies. Also, there was an orange Challenger (I'd guess 1970 approx) with the 440 Magnum motor in work a couple of days ago. Not my cup of tea but was distinctive and he booted it pulling away and it sounded great.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
We won't talk about chrysler in the 80's... :nervous:
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Roanoke

sold my Manta Coupe  :(

still, one step closer to a Camaro though I'll probably need a bigger garage......:doubt:

Offline Roanoke

hmn, how about the original Pony ?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Ewwwwwww. Not a Pony. Ewwwwwwww. An old Mustang, not a new one. (yes I know that that is late 80's/90's)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Buy an Iceni, dude :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Depends on what you want it for. If you're mowing down pedestrians, get an Aeolus. If you're stuck in rush hour a lot, get an Orion.

Offline Roanoke

'ave decided against a Mustang because

a) it's a ford
b) it's a mustang
c) it's not a Camaro

Done some checking and you're correct. Low-output models had either a single-point-injection hooked to a Carb type device or twin throttle-body injection (175/165 bhp). High output had the full Rochester Tuned Port Injection (circa 200 bhp).

Incidentally, the Borg Warner 5 speed Manual 'box was reckoned to handle max 300lb/ft torque so the 5.7s were auto only.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

I know i know,............Gone in 60 seconds made me love it. I know not a lot about it, but look....  It's gorgeous !!

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
'ave decided against a Mustang because
a) it's a ford
b) it's a mustang
c) it's not a Camaro