Author Topic: Cumulative Projects  (Read 8243 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
A few months ago, Time magazine pissed off pretty much everyone who was paying attention when they named "You" as their person of the year. They did this because of the not-so-new phenomenon that has been dubbed "Web 2.0", which is essentially a catch-all term for sites like Wikipedia, YouTube, Digg and all the others where the vast majority of the content is user submitted. Now, here on HLP, this principle also applies, and has since well before most of those sites were even started. However, unlike something like Wikipedia, we tend not to have a lot of community involvement on very small scales. If I don't like someone's WIP, I haven't really got much scope to alter it to my tastes, unless I wait for the final release and go all the way back into the original models, ruining the texturing and whatnot in the process.

I've decided to try an experiment in this area. I've made a new thread in FS modding: "Cumulative Modelling - the GTCv Moscow". The specifics of the project are detailed in the thread, but essentially these are efforts to see what kind of a result we get when everyone contributes just a little bit to a greater whole. It might be a beautiful fusion of ideas and styles, a whole that is truly more than the sum of its parts. It might be a messy hodgepodge where nobody has any idea what's going on. I don't know. I'd love to find out.

If it works out, I'd love to see similar projects for FREDding, or texturing or whatever, just to see how it goes.

Historically, things like this tend to peter out a little bit, but I've got high hopes. So, read the thread and if you're interested, join on in.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:41:34 am by Sandwich™ »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I can only say that you came up with an excellent idea. Seriously. :)

If it works out, I'd love to see similar projects for FREDding, or texturing or whatever, just to see how it goes.

:yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Something like this was tried with that Tangents campaign a while ago, but it never really got off the ground. I can see more scope for this kind of thing with modeling though, so hopefully you'll have better luck.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
This is an excellent idea.  It gives people who don't have the strong modeling or texturing skills to contribute to the community in what could be a very major way.  Keep up the good work! :D
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I would help but I am not really motivated. :blah:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
please do! you can just do a little thing..take my peice, and add more detail too it. make it better!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 04:30:01 pm by akenbosch »

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I'll try it tomorrow 'cause I don't have modeling programs on this computer.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Something like this was tried with that Tangents campaign a while ago, but it never really got off the ground. I can see more scope for this kind of thing with modeling though, so hopefully you'll have better luck.

Why not just another Tangents? Tangents R2 sounds cool. :sigh:

Offline Axem

Why not just revive the old Tangents? :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Because with Lelli Kelly we are so cool.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
My tangent mission was almost complete. Should I work on it again? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hmm... Someone bump the topic. Or create a "Tangents 1 Revived" or something.

This is a great idea!  :cool:

Im just about to get back into FREDing, would love to help with this.

Possibly the natural next stage would be 1 mission involving the Moscow, so the team that came together to design it continue on as a group.

Good work,
HDK