Author Topic: I\m in an alien world...  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I\m in an alien world...
So here I am. A life long Windows user, taking his first steps in the Linux land. We finally started a familiarization in to the alleged king of kings. I\m telling you, it\s like personal experience of Tron... Kernel that kernel this. Where's my C: drive?!?!

I did use Unix in the army, mostly for playing Spider trough all nights. But this is really cool stuff. This is like the first really interesting thing for the past 2 years. I'm as high as a kite!

Anyway. Let's see what happen when I start to grasp the workings of this thing...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: I\m in an alien world...
What distro you got?

Gotten the sound system to work properly yet? :drevil:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
We're using suse... Version 10.1 I think it was...
And no problem with sounds...

No real opinion yet about the system. Todays job was only to install it and get anti virus working. Tomorrow I'll dig in a bit deeper...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
is linux turning your " ' "s into " / "s?

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Actually, it was. I forgot to change my keyport in to Finnish one. See, we need those keyboards that have äö and for some reason all the other clutter is also ****ed up... I noticed it midway trough my original post, but forgot to fix the topic. Then decided to leave it like that...

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Hehe, good luck with the penguin. It's not that bad what I've noticen while fiddeling with some distros a bit, but requires patience time to times to configure all things into working condition (depends on the distro again of course).

I even tried if a 450MHz P3 machine with a 384M of memory and Radeon7500 AiW could be harnessed into a light videoedit machine with UbuntuStudio... we'll that didn't work :p
The OS itself installed quite smoothly, even more smoothly than I expected... I remember it was more of a hazzle with normal Ubuntu 6.10 or something. But when it came to the Radeon I was quite screwed, the drivers it installed were some basic Ansi drives or something which of course meant that it couldn't handle videos at all (kind of a destroys the very idea eh :D). Furthermore the Ubuntus own driver search said than I didn't need any other drivers and when googling a bit about it I finally concluded that I was beaten by one of the main problems in Linuxes... The drivers specifically for 7500 series Radeon were quite rare, and the ones I perhaps found didn't even install (8500 series would have been supported by Ati itself though :p -more or less).

Oh well... perhaps I'll erase the whole HD and sell the bugger.
Habeeb it...

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
:bump:

Well Linux is in the past now. Mixed feelings about it. It was fast and neat and stuff, but would require a bit more learning from me to feel comfortable. Interesting enough to keep in mind for the future.

But it's time for Vista. Since there are a lot of "n00bs" in the class, our teachers thought it would be worthwhile to get familiar with that too. I couldn't pass an opportunity like that!

So now I'm typing from Vista Ultimate. Installation was quick and clean. But the candy colours and window interface made me feel like an idiot. Too simple and too user friendly. At least installing XP feels like you're installing an operating system. After installation it gets a bit better. Looks good, and the black taskbar warms my heart. So off I go to get the cyberspace highway set up. I get lost in to the "user friendly" automatic screw up everything windows for a while. Then I find it, the ip setup! I'm seeing a working connection and with dread, I open explorer. "WTF?. It not wolking!" Seems I have to undo some of the crew ups I made the automatic screwup system make. Ah finally I get surfing.
While scrambling towards Opera homepage I take note how sloooow its loading. So I taunt the karma gods and do some testing... Yes, it is incredibly slow, even when compared to the explorer in XP (which I have on another HD I usually use with this computer). Maybe the explorer Vista comes with is just chocking up on itself? Or maybe the low memory on this rig is causing slowdowns? I download Opera and get annoyed by "Are you really, really sure you wish to do this?". With Opera, surfing speeds up a little.

So at first glance, the interface looks nice with all gimmicks and stuff. It also looks even more n00bified than in XP, and thus is annoying. I need to rummage trough it some more to see how much of this "user friendliness" I can eliminate.
Maybe I might consider getting Vista once I get some more memory on my home rig, and once they patch this thing to a reasonably working version...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
wait till you see the piss poor file copy performance :D

im not to happy with vista and xp wont be around forever. so im actually putting more effort into understanding how linux works.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
:bump:

Well Linux is in the past now. Mixed feelings about it. It was fast and neat and stuff, but would require a bit more learning from me to feel comfortable. Interesting enough to keep in mind for the future.

Aaarrgggh.

But it's time for Vista. Since there are a lot of "n00bs" in the class, our teachers thought it would be worthwhile to get familiar with that too. I couldn't pass an opportunity like that!

Aaaarrgggh.

So now I'm typing from Vista Ultimate. Installation was quick and clean. But the candy colours and window interface made me feel like an idiot. Too simple and too user friendly. At least installing XP feels like you're installing an operating system. After installation it gets a bit better. Looks good, and the black taskbar warms my heart. So off I go to get the cyberspace highway set up. I get lost in to the "user friendly" automatic screw up everything windows for a while. Then I find it, the ip setup! I'm seeing a working connection and with dread, I open explorer. "WTF?. It not wolking!" Seems I have to undo some of the crew ups I made the automatic screwup system make. Ah finally I get surfing.

Well at least you didn't pick one of the disabled versions... Yes, Vista cannot automatically figure out working TCP/IP settings if you are behind the router. It will somehow recognize the router, and will ping to computers connected to the router, but it cannot get past the router to actually use the wide area network we call the Internet.

When I tested it, I had to find the TCP/IP settings (which, I have to say, felt like being hidden 6 feet under all the 3D Aero windows whe I finally found the right tab) and set manually the same figures that ipconfig /all returned when it was using automatic configuration.

Which means that autoconfiguration does get the proper values but it just doesn't work, and when same values are used on manual setting, it works for some incomprehensible reason. Well, if it works it works, even if there's no plausible reason. Way to go MS... True user-friendly system you have. :yes:

While scrambling towards Opera homepage I take note how sloooow its loading. So I taunt the karma gods and do some testing... Yes, it is incredibly slow, even when compared to the explorer in XP (which I have on another HD I usually use with this computer). Maybe the explorer Vista comes with is just chocking up on itself? Or maybe the low memory on this rig is causing slowdowns?

Most assuredly the latter. If you have "only" 1 GB of memory, it won't be enough if you have all the default features on. With 3GB it works pretty smoothly, though. The last time I looked, my gran's Vista Home Basic (I think) used 600-700MB when idling. Are other programs working at "normal" speed, or is it just the net connection that feels sluggish?

I download Opera and get annoyed by "Are you really, really sure you wish to do this?". With Opera, surfing speeds up a little.

Perhaps you would do wise installing some proper firewall and disabling the Windows Firewall. Also, get Avast! or some other excellent lightweight virus protection, if you haven't already done so. Also, if you don't use IE7, you won't be getting most spy/adware, so you might want to disable Windows spyware detector thingy as well (is it called Defender in Vista, I don't remember).

Then you also might want to check Start->Run->msconfig and disable some of the startup crap as well as some services, like Fax, Phone, Server (if you don't use it, as is likely), Workstation (again, you likely won't be using this yet it is on by default, increasing startup time slightly), Distributed Transaction Controller (seriously, wtf), UPS (if you're not using UPS, duh) and perhaps some others.

So at first glance, the interface looks nice with all gimmicks and stuff. It also looks even more n00bified than in XP, and thus is annoying. I need to rummage trough it some more to see how much of this "user friendliness" I can eliminate.

Get rid of the google/clock toolbar thingy at least.

Maybe I might consider getting Vista once I get some more memory on my home rig, and once they patch this thing to a reasonably working version...

Good boy, that's the same conclusion I've come to. :nod: I have one installed but haven't used it in months after initial testing... It's not strictly legal either, but what the hell.

<pirating-is-bad-singsong-style>
You wouldn't buy a car - without having a test drive.
You wouldn't buy a handbag - unless your Significant Other delicately informs that she'd like one.
You wouldn't buy a television - without having a chance to check the image quality.
You likely wouldn't buy a DVD - without already having seen the movie.
You wouldn't like to buy a game - without checking if the hype really matches the product.

And you most assuredly would'nt want to buy and OS for your computer without having a chance to try it out first.

</singsong>

It's not like you can march back to shop after having Vista for a week and return it because you didn't like it... I don't think it would work very fine. :blah:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
<pirating-is-bad-singsong-style>
You wouldn't buy a car - without having a test drive.
You wouldn't buy a handbag - unless your Significant Other delicately informs that she'd like one.
You wouldn't buy a television - without having a chance to check the image quality.
You likely wouldn't buy a DVD - without already having seen the movie.
You wouldn't like to buy a game - without checking if the hype really matches the product.

And you most assuredly would'nt want to buy and OS for your computer without having a chance to try it out first.

</singsong>
Damn, I am so stealing pirating this next time I come across some moralistic wanker on his high-horse over piracy.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Most assuredly the latter. If you have "only" 1 GB of memory, it won't be enough if you have all the default features on. With 3GB it works pretty smoothly, though. The last time I looked, my gran's Vista Home Basic (I think) used 600-700MB when idling. Are other programs working at "normal" speed, or is it just the net connection that feels sluggish?
Ya I know its a memory hog. My friend already went a tried Vista on his rig earlier this year. That experiment didn't last long. Don't worry, he didn't pay for it.
IIRC the school rig I used had 512 mt of memory. It did work surprisingly smoothly, with a freshly formatted HD. :rolleyes:
But with Opera the browsing experience chanced from intolerable to tolerable. I don't use Explorer (except to download Opera), but I don't recall it being that slow. I didn't have time to fully dissect Vista yet. That happens later this week. I did like the new solitaire though.

Perhaps you would do wise installing some proper firewall and disabling the Windows Firewall. Also, get Avast! or some other excellent lightweight virus protection, if you haven't already done so. Also, if you don't use IE7, you won't be getting most spy/adware, so you might want to disable Windows spyware detector thingy as well (is it called Defender in Vista, I don't remember).
Since it's a school rig, I won't be getting any defences to it at all. These machines are pretty much in our personal use so if a few bugs slip in, it'll be an educating experience. :D

Offline DiabloRojo

• Como los chupacabras para desayuno.
    • Dienet - The Place You Go to Die (back after 5 years, baby!)
OMGWTF P!r8S r B4D!!!!!1!!!one!!  st34ling!!!!!1!!!eleven!!11!!!
Er, *Ahem* Yar, thar be me impression o ye so-called moralistic wanker.

And here comes the 'I'm slacking at work and feel the need to rant' rant:

I've had the misfortune of testing Vista some for my company.  I can honestly say I've never seen a more bloated, unintuitive and useless operating system, especially for enterprise, since WinME.

Unless Microsoft pulls Jesus Christ himself out from their collective asses with a miraculous service pack, the NT5.x kernel will remain Microsoft's best achievement in operating systems.  Also, this DX10 only on Vista nonsense needs to be unceremoniously thrown out the window (pun intended).  Why in the blue hell they're trying to force gamers and enthusiasts to an obviously slower, less refined and much more needy OS is beyond me.  Since I just recently got out of a relationship, I'll gleefully hop back into single-male-geekdom with a girlfriend/OS analogy.  Hopefully this will prove entertaining as well:

Now, why would I give up my slightly older, more experienced, athletic and svelt girlfriend who listens when I have something important to say, doesn't chew my ear off with incessant crap and doesn't second-guess *every* decision I make?  True, she can nag a bit, but only when it's in my best interest and she's not as drop-dead gorgeous as some, but far from a brown bag special.

Instead, Microsoft, you're saying I should go out with a much younger, stubborn, *****y, flashy whore who thinks I'm a complete idiot, never wants to do anything *I* want to do while regularly cleaning out my checking account for useless things neither of us will ever need.  Oh but she's got a few neat ideas and is slightly more pleasant to look at.

Ah now I can't make a comparison like that without bringing in (slackware) Linux...  It takes a number of consecutive miracles to make the relationship work, but the rewards are that much better.  Ever the bookworm, she's almost too smart.  She couldn't care less about my bank account, but she doesn't get along so well with everyone else either.  She won't do a thing unless I plan every step, while at the same time, never second-guesses my decisions, even if I decide to perform neurosurgery for a mild headache.   But, unless all the furniture is arranged just so, she can have severe panic attacks.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Or, as our favourite Ctrl-Alt-Del loony character states...

Ctrl-Alt-Del 31. May 2007

It still makes me laugh every time I even think of it.

It's a heated chair! :lol:

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Heh heh :lol: So true.
They are forcing you to get Vista to play Halo 2; its a scam!
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well you actually can play Halo 2 on XP. Check the latest in "When you're bored" thread (along with hilarious comics from PyroMX of course) :p

...or just google for it. It's possible, I've witnessed it myself, but the game itself is rather unoptimized and seems more choppy then FEAR demo, and is definitely not as pretty (IMHO).

Offline DiabloRojo

• Como los chupacabras para desayuno.
    • Dienet - The Place You Go to Die (back after 5 years, baby!)
Why did I ever stop reading CTRL+ALT+DEL? ...I must have gotten busy.  He didn't cover Linux though, which I did with gusto ;)

I don't care about Halo 2 since they won't let me blast console jockeys from my PC without paying MS more money.  F-that.  I can pwn and talk **** to kids half my age, causing them to curse like sailors, eventually culminating in their life-long incarceration due to their acting out from their moral self-destruction by other free means. (Kidding, of course.  I'm only sadistic enough to pwn those guys and call 'em n00bs because I was playing Counter-Strike Beta 3 in high school.)

What I do care about all these newer games that would happily run under XP and DX10, while doing it faster than Vista, but won't until:
A. Those guys finish cracking DX10 so it will install on XP.
B. MS gives in and admits that they're wrong, that Vista is a dirty, geriatric prostitute with chlamydia and releases an XP-compatible DX10
C. Global Thermonuclear War.  (I dunno how this helps new games run under XP with DX10, but it could be fun)

Sorry I think that turned into a thread-jack...

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Well you actually can play Halo 2 on XP. Check the latest in "When you're bored" thread (along with hilarious comics from PyroMX of course) :p

...or just google for it. It's possible, I've witnessed it myself, but the game itself is rather unoptimized and seems more choppy then FEAR demo, and is definitely not as pretty (IMHO).
I played Halo 2 on my XP, Worked surprisingly well. AFAIK you can't uninstall it, you'll have to do it manually...