Author Topic: What made you blink?  (Read 8623 times)

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
Everyone knows the classic rapidly incoming Sathanas incident, but were there any other points in FS2 that (deliberately or not) took you by surprise?

My examples:
1) When the Colossus first appeared, I couldn't find it (still learning the controls back then...).  I figured if I stayed still and focused on the Diemos, I would be able to track the beams.  Sure enough, the Colossus opened up - from behind me.  I swung 'round, only to clip my Perseus' nose on the sensor spike, which had stopped inches from impaling my fighter.  Felt kinda lucky...  :eek2:

2) A bit later I was attacking the Vindicator and fired a pair of cyclops torps at it's port-fore beam to cover the Sobek.  As I followed close behind, guns blazing, the turret started to power up.  I was just saying goodbye to the Sobek when the beam fired - at the torpedoes.  Since I was right behind I was simply obliterated with them.  Felt kinda unlucky...  :(

So that was my eventful fighter career - anyone else got a story?
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline MercFox1

• DIVE DIVE DIVE
    • Shacknews
1) "Love The Treason..." - The catastrophic self-destruction of those fighters made me wonder what the heck was going on, and the rest of the mission I was on edge trying not to get nailed by cruisers or those freaking Hercs.

2) "Return to Babel" - The chaos, the revelation that the Iceni is communicating with the Shivans, and the guy on board the Iceni yelling full out about an unstoppable self-destruct sequence, Shivan guns blazing in around and over my head, and Vasudan wing mates dying all around me...I hope to never experience anything like that in real life.

3) The loss of the Colossus and the Supernova of Capella.
Steam_ID: MercFox1

Offline wdarkk

For me, "...But hate the traitor" was pretty stressful. Taking on 5 fighters by myself, then when more warped in when I was still a noob was terrible.

Also, all the times I tried to save the Hinton before I finally got the hang of it (I thought the enemy warships were killing it, not the fighters).

But hate the traitor for me also. The first time I just hear "ALPHA 1 AND BETA 1 ARE TRAITORS" and then having to fight about 8 NTF Fighters with only Beta 1 to help.

Offline MercFox1

• DIVE DIVE DIVE
    • Shacknews
But hate the traitor for me also. The first time I just hear "ALPHA 1 AND BETA 1 ARE TRAITORS" and then having to fight about 8 NTF Fighters with only Beta 1 to help.

That's "Love the Treason..."

Rebels and Renegades has to do with the Vasudans
Love the Treason is the one with the Sunder and the AWACS ship
Hate the Traitor is where they whip out mad fighters and a freakin' Aeolus cruiser to beat up on you.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam

That's "Love the Treason..."

Rebels and Renegades has to do with the Vasudans
Love the Treason is the one with the Sunder and the AWACS ship
Hate the Traitor is where they whip out mad fighters and a freakin' Aeolus cruiser to beat up on you.

Hate the Traitor is the one where they ask you to beat up on a civilian transport, if you comply, you get done by your own side for breaking the Beta Aquilae Converntion. If you don't comply, your fellow fighters beat up on you!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
They beat upon you anyways.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

The first time I reached the end, the supernova took me by suprise, I was sooooo far from the node so I sacrificed myself saving the civilians (the ones that could be saved) and I died with my wing... I really dont think they wanted to die there...
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The first time I reached the end, the supernova took me by suprise, I was sooooo far from the node so I sacrificed myself saving the civilians (the ones that could be saved) and I died with my wing... I really dont think they wanted to die there...

Same.  :yes:

The first time I saw a Sath "Monster in the Mist?" I about had nervous breakdown... then it fired!  :eek2:  Seeing all those Saths around the sun... I'm not a complete n00b, I knew staying in that solar system was going to be bad for your health.  :shaking:

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The first time I played "Into the Lions den" I was like, dive?Why?Oh now I s......
 :lol:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

The first time I played "Into the Lions den" I was like, dive?Why?Oh now I s......

Haha yeah that one's a real eye-opener everytime you play it  :yes:  Same as other people, 1st combat deployment of the Colossus, 'Love the Treason...' when all the NTF wings blow up and you get to 'sanitize' and also when the 99th Skulls (SOC squadron) jumps in with dual Kayser Erinyes to slag the reinforcement NTF fighters  :lol:

'Monster in the Mist' when the Sathanas nukes the Tatenen, then there's the mission where you blow up the Knossos, but the Sathanas surprises everyone by jumping in regardless  :eek2:

Another blinker is when Command orders the Phoenicia to stand its ground head-on vs. the Shivan juggernaut in 'Bearbaiting' (a destroyer with 10,000 lives onboard wasted to slow down the juggernaut by 0 seconds, nice going Command...), then the final destruction of that Sathanas in High Noon.

The 2nd Sathanas killing the Psamtik and the death of the Colossus by Sathanas 17 were some 'oh $61!7' moments as well.

Offline MercFox1

• DIVE DIVE DIVE
    • Shacknews
Another blinker is when Command orders the Phoenicia to stand its ground head-on vs. the Shivan juggernaut in 'Bearbaiting' (a destroyer with 10,000 lives onboard wasted to slow down the juggernaut by 0 seconds, nice going Command...), then the final destruction of that Sathanas in High Noon.

That wasn't so much a "blink" moment as a "wow-that's-got-to-be-the-least-thought-out-deployment-of-any-fleet-asset-slash-destroyer-that-i've-ever-seen" moment. Command isn't dumb ( <_< ... >_> ... ), but that was just silly.

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
DIVE!DIVE!DIVE!, HIT YOU BURNERS,PILOT!

Ok, I hit my burners - on the front end of a Sath! ;)

Also whenever a new Shivan destroyer+ jumped in and incinerated some Terran ships.

As for the Supernova, I was like: Oh, a warning. What for? I think it must have something to do with that large,  ever increasing glow. I'll look at it to see what happens when the clock hits 0.

Then I did that mission again and sat in the node the whole time, getting my wingmen to help kill the ships that came through.
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
For me, aside from the classic Dive! Dive! Dive!, it's got to be that mission were you rescue Snipes in the red nebula, I was really nervous on that one. A rescue in the middle of a shivan infested nebula were you cant see a thing AND your sensors/comms are all screwed up? Oh, ***!

And the supernova, at the time I didnt exactly knew what a supernova was. :lol: So I was just thinking, Capella went what? Then I saw the cutscene. :blah:

Offline MercFox1

• DIVE DIVE DIVE
    • Shacknews
Actually knowing what a supernova was made the WTF factor go up by like 10.

Capella...Supernova?.... :blah:
 :eek2: BURNERS BURNERS BURNERS BURNERS ENGINE POWER TO FULL GLHF TRANSPORTS, PEACE SHIVANS, JUMP OUT BEFORE TIMER HITS 15 SECONDS!!!!!!  :shaking:

First time, I made it...2nd, I sacrificed myself for the people of Capella.

Offline nvsblmnc

I added another amusing death experience last night: I got run over by the Aquitaine.

The timing was perfect - the RTB order and then just as I was about to hit 40m/s and jump out... thud.  A few hundred thousand tons of destroyer flies straight through me.

Still, I guess I mdae an impression on the ship.:D
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

If I had a copy of freespace 2 and a computer I would replay the campaign rightnow
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline AlexG

I added another amusing death experience last night: I got run over by the Aquitaine.

The timing was perfect - the RTB order and then just as I was about to hit 40m/s and jump out... thud.  A few hundred thousand tons of destroyer flies straight through me.

Still, I guess I mdae an impression on the ship.:D

Yeah, I've been run over loads of times. It never really gets any better, either. It seemed like the capships entering the game were tracking me at times. Big, vast, wide open space, and friendlies always managed to appear right behind me. I'm speaking of FS1 as well as FS2 here. But yeah, it was bad. In fact for a time... wait. I am about to share an embarrasing story. I fully expect not to be blackmailed by it, okay? Okay.

I watch a lot of Star Trek, and there are enough episodes where someone says that, "It's the warp core! We're dragging the phenomenon with us through space like a zipper!". And so the capships came in behind me so often that I was actually thinking a plot point (Again, FS1) was going to be that, "OMG Alpha 1, your warp drives were attracting the Shivans!" Which, I guess, turned out to be true... but not in the way I was thinking. I wasn't thinking they were detecting it and maybe being killed in their home by it. I thought it was more like... "Engage engines!" *Zwoop!* Shivans. Just like that. And then I thought, no wonder they're cranky. You're a shivan, flying support for the Shivan princess or something and then *Zwoop!*. There you are, surrounded by Terrans and Vasudans fighting this dumb little war. I'd probably go ape, too. Anyway, no explanation for how Alpha 1's drives always were the ones even though he changed ships several times, nor why this was never a problem in all the time we'd been traveling that way before. But hey, I was a n00b.

Okay. Embarrasing story over.

Offline nvsblmnc

Okay. Embarrasing story over.
Embarrasing is fun.  Like the time my battle-weary Perseus was toasted by a pair of Leviathans.  Truth be told, I thought they were on my side, until I was right inbetween them and then... well let's just say it was the most anti-figther beams I've been hit with in 4 years of playing. :shaking:

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
"Launching the game." That opening screen with all the lights was sooooo coool
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE