Author Topic: Tarr Chronicles English Demo  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Tarr Chronicles English Demo
Hmm.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/11142/Tarr+Chronicles+Demo

Its main flaw seems to be that it's just not as polished as it ought to be. The engine's nice and the writing seems passable so far, but the gameplay just doesn't have much 'oomf'.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Re: Tarr Chronicles English Demo
I have only played the first mission so far but what I allready like about the game that it has this "build your own upgrades" stuff that gives it some kind of RPG feeling to it.
I its on my list of games that I want to buy sooner or later.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Can someone help me out? I got the demo, installed it and tried to play, when I get to the menu the game just locks up. I already tried installing it again but the same thing continued to happen. :mad: I hate when this happens.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
There is an updated demo out.  That said, it doesn't work on my machine.  Other users seem to have the same problem (the game complains about "can't find font').
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
There is an updated demo out.  That said, it doesn't work on my machine.  Other users seem to have the same problem (the game complains about "can't find font').

Do you have any links?

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
http://files.filefront.com/Tarr+Chronicles+English+Demo+++Updated/;8607180;/fileinfo.html

Good luck.  I am sorely disappointed it doesn't work for me.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Well, this sucks, wasted another 5 hours downloading it for nothing, I'm getting the same error and I dont even know whats going on, the russian demo worked fine. :doubt:

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Very strange. I had the opposite problem - the Russian demo was unplayable for me but this one gave me no trouble at all.

Coincidence?

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Well, how should I say ^^ Tarr Chronicles just suxx. I really don't understand a single thing in those writing message. I'm not a native english but, it's the first time I see a pretty bad translation. The game suxx to a way I don't want to play the demo. The sound effect is bad, pretty bad and the weaponery is totally to slow.

I was expecting a lot to this game. Tarr has a great potential with this RPG element like someone says earlier. Well, I think i've just to wait The Tomorrow War or Black prophecy.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I downloaded the Russian demo and it would not play.Maybe the English will work.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

Well, English demo didn't work either. :(
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
In Soviet Russia, game plays you!
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Hades

That does NOT sound fun...
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
In Soviet Russia, game plays you!

In Soviet Russia, you game player.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline ViRGE

I just finished the demo, and compared to everyone else here I'm thinking I'm going to be a bit more hopeful about it.

First and foremost, I had no problems running it. I'm not sure why some of you can't play it. Perhaps need the latest version of DirectX or something?

As for the game itself, it's hit & miss. On the positive side, it's the closest thing to Freespace 2 I've played in almost 8 damn years, so that's something in and of itself. There's a lot of shooting, the cutscenes are well done, it's very pretty, and it seems like it'll have a level of mission variety similar to FS2.

On the downside, it's lacking a lot of configuration options; I can't even select a resolution (I'm assuming it's using the monitor's max resolution, 1600x1200), I can't map my Sidewinder 2's hat or z-rotation abilities (even though the game has rotation mapped to keys), and there are some buttons that do things that are bound to their default keys and aren't listed for remapping. I really, really could use a manual so that I knew what everything did, I can't tell if it has even half the complexity of FS2's controls because of this.

Also, the game suffers from clutter; there's a lot of trash in space that is supposed to be ships and stations and what-not that don't stand out because there's so much of it and it's all using dark, muted colors that blend in to the background. None of this trash is targetable either, and this also goes for capital ships which are fixed position entities that feel more like a piece of the background than the current mission (and not really to FS2 scales, either).

Finally, it's a translation. It's not a bad translation, the voice acting is about as good as FS2's and most of the dialog makes sense, but at the same time there are flubs here and there, and overall I'm just kind of lost at what's going on in the middle of a mission as a result (in other words, just keep shooting ships until the mission is over). Also of note, the RPG-lite elements of ship customization seem more a hindrance than a benefit; FS2 players will want to find a build that involves an agile ship with a high RoF energy weapon that doesn't generate too much heat(heat == FS2 power usage). Once you have that, it'll play a lot more like FS2.

Overall, in spite of my spending more time pointing out flaws than things it does well (a side effect of FS2 setting the bar so high, I suppose), it's not a bad game. It's not worth the $30 it's going to retail for right now, but it's something new in a near-dead genre that's worth playing once the price drops to $20.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
As for the game itself, it's hit & miss. On the positive side, it's the closest thing to Freespace 2 I've played in almost 8 damn years, so that's something in and of itself. There's a lot of shooting, the cutscenes are well done, it's very pretty, and it seems like it'll have a level of mission variety similar to FS2.

I don't think so ^^ the Dogfight is totally boring compare to Freespace 2.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'm about to install it now...

Fun game, but the dogfighting was kind of... Empty. Not great compared to FreeSpace, but it was pretty fun.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:35:30 am by Snail »

So just for everyone's information who want's to try it and cannot (font problem): depending on the version of  your demo:
a) reduce the resolution to anything up to 16.12 or
b) ajust your desktop res accordingly and then launch the demo...(oh yes, so maybe you want to crank up AA and AF in your preferred video card configursator first - since you apparently have a 24'' or above and a teamed grafix card ;-))

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
the game is kinda fun but might need a little work.  fs2 runs smoother, but fs2 isnt as 'shiny'

i think we should try to talk to their community and their developers.  have some community interaction and such.

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D