Author Topic: Canon and continuity  (Read 45465 times)

Well, thankfully we have a reprieve in what the folks here at FotG are looking to accomplish, I wish it was within my abilities to offer some help in some way, as I'd certainly like to contribute.  10 years (in a few weeks it will be to the day Feb 28th) since we've had a worthy Star Wars based space combat simulator is a hell of a long time for us to have to settle with (visually stunning) mediocre arcade entries concerning the universe.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, I'm pretty sure some Y-Wings got blown up on screen before the first three went into the trenches didn't they?  Or maybe those were all X-Wings.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Those were X-wings.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

TBH, Star Wars canon has undergone so many revisions and so much butchery I won't be surprised if the Master Chief shows up and starts swordfighting with some ancient Sith on Korriban while Lando takes potshots at their energy shields.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

TBH, Star Wars canon has undergone so many revisions and so much butchery I won't be surprised if the Master Chief shows up and starts swordfighting with some ancient Sith on Korriban while Lando takes potshots at their energy shields.
lol Quite true, but the vast majority of revisions (you can even say contradictions) are from EU material. Sure, there may be great writers and game developers out there, but they don't seem to know enough about Star Wars as it exists, to build upon it and not stomp on anything that's already been established in the process. This is in large part LFL's fault for not maintaining a more watchful eye over the years. It ultimately comes down to making the big bucks. And they're business like any other. So long as the cash flow is pouring in, who cares? Right? And now we have one hell of a mess to deal with. lol

At this point, I'm pretty turned off by most EU content anyway. :p It's gotten waaaay out there. :rolleyes: "Holy Crap! I just saw the Enterprise skim the surface of the Executor!!". :lol:
Chance favors the prepared mind.

lol Quite true, but the vast majority of revisions (you can even say contradictions) are from EU material. Sure, there may be great writers and game developers out there, but they don't seem to know enough about Star Wars as it exists, to build upon it and not stomp on anything that's already been established in the process. This is in large part LFL's fault for not maintaining a more watchful eye over the years. It ultimately comes down to making the big bucks. And they're business like any other. So long as the cash flow is pouring in, who cares? Right? And now we have one hell of a mess to deal with. lol

At this point, I'm pretty turned off by most EU content anyway. :p It's gotten waaaay out there. :rolleyes: "Holy Crap! I just saw the Enterprise skim the surface of the Executor!!". :lol:

The EU isn't alone in this.  Part of the problem with the prequels is how much they disregarded the already-established (and somewhat plausible) semi-canon of the already existing EU, and not always for the better.  Boba Fett shouldn't have been a clone of his dad, and the Force shouldn't be midichlorians.  And R2-D2's and C-3PO's origins sucked.  Same with Anakin's.  You would think a slave boy wouldn't have the time to build both a podracer and a droid because he's a slave, and that a Toydarian would have the good sense not to play games of chance with a Jedi.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Lucas is without a doubt the most grievous perpetrator of contradicting and well, flat out blowing Star Wars canon.

E.T.'s species is part of Star Wars continuity now?

I know it's all in good fun to pay tribute to a character of a good friend's, but according to the hardcore fanboys idea of canon, yeah this is now canon because it appeared in the movies.

That's why I appreciate how the Dev's of FotG are approaching it, disregarding the nonsense (Prequels).

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I'm not worried about E.T.'s species being introduced into canon. I can't imagine anything (a novel, even a cartoon) that would elaborate on this species. The authors do know that this is only a nod to Speilberg, nothing more. Perhaps Lucas even tells his authors not to touch this species. He does have the definitive authority over what authors cannot write about. That's why the Darth Plagueis novel had to be cancelled and Yoda's species is not yet even given a name.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

At this point, I'm not concerned about the EU's canon and continuity validity anymore. As far as I'm concerned, if it contradicts the films, than it takes a back seat (Lord knows how many times EU contradicts itself; too many hands in the pot so to speak). Otherwise, it's fine.

Honestly, I really don't see Lucas blowing canon and continuity in they way so many people claim. Yes, there are some canon and continuity problems that need to be explained, but I think the issue stems more from the general dislike of where he took the saga. There are contradictions between the films in the OT after all. lol Thankfully, only a few.

Personally, I rather liked Boba's origin. 3PO's and R2's didn't bother me. And I liked Anakin's as well. I assume Anakin spent many sleepless nights working on 3PO. It was his passion and he was very good at it. lol E.T.'s species was just a cameo and really a non-issue.

Regarding Watto, you gotta remember Qui-gon was a maverick Jedi and it's safe to say that at least the great majority of Jedi would not try to manipulate one's fate as it goes against their code. So I'm certain Watto didn't expect him to do such a thing.

The midichlorians was not the force itself, rather a way to identify it and the potential of the individual. Also, there were certain revelations of the force by the end of the prequel trilogy that actually moves quite nicely into what Yoda and Obi-wan spoke of in the OT.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:36:04 pm by Vector Leader »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
At this point, I'm not concerned about the EU's canon and continuity validity anymore. As far as I'm concerned, if it contradicts the films, than it takes a back seat (Lord knows how many times EU contradicts itself; too many hands in the pot so to speak). Otherwise, it's fine.

Honestly, I really don't see Lucas blowing canon and continuity in they way so many people claim. Yes, there are some canon and continuity problems that need to be explained, but I think the issue stems more from the general dislike of where he took the saga. There are contradictions between the films in the OT after all. lol Thankfully, only a few.

Personally, I rather liked Boba's origin. 3PO's and R2's didn't bother me. And I liked Anakin's as well. I assume Anakin spent many sleepless nights working on 3PO. It was his passion and he was very good at it. lol E.T.'s species was just a cameo and really a non-issue.

Regarding Watto, you gotta remember Qui-gon was a maverick Jedi and it's safe to say that at least the great majority of Jedi would not try to manipulate one's fate as it goes against their code. So I'm certain Watto didn't expect him to do such a thing.

The midichlorians was not the force itself, rather a way to identify it and the potential of the individual. Also, there were certain revelations of the force by the end of the prequel trilogy that actually moves quite nicely into what Yoda and Obi-wan spoke of in the OT.
One question. Did you see the prequels or the originals first?

One question. Did you see the prequels or the originals first?
lol The OT of course. I first saw ANH (just 'Star Wars' back then, of course) when I was about 3 and that was it. I was hooked ever since. ;) I tend to get this type of reaction because of the way I feel toward the PT, EU, and the OT-SE.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I'm very new to this community but I'd like to say I agree with Vector Lead.

Except for some on the newest EU content that I have trouble excepting, I think most stuff fits in pretty well. Sure there might be some continuity problems, but I think we can forget those.

If you're making a mod based on Star Wars you might need to be more picky, but most of us are just here to play the game.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
If you're making a mod based on Star Wars you might need to be more picky, but most of us are just here to play the game.
I'm not here to play the Game (which I lost), I'm here to annoy you with source material and canon nitpicking.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Asshole.  I just lost.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Took me awhile to understand.
But damn, I haven't lost in quite a long time... till you came along. =/

I pretty certain most Jedi would manipulate the die.  Choices are "Chosen One" or "Chosen One's worthless Force-blind mom".  Do you really think Yoda wouldn't manipulate the die roll so the Jedi can have the One prophesied to bring balance to the force?  A maverick Jedi would lightsaber Watto, set Anakin and his mom free, and steal the hyperdrive all because slavery is wrong.

Actually, the points that Sparda and Vector refer to were the basis for a debate I started up on theforce.net forums.  Essentially, Qui Gon's motivations for attempting to free Anakin were always rationalized by "The Will of the Force" however, I  began to wonder if Qui Gon's tampering of that dice roll off set what the Will of the Force actually entailed.  How different would things have been had he not tampered with it?

Basically it's the applying the Uncertainty Principle to that moment.  Did Qui Gon's tampering of the game change the outcome of what would have happened had the chance cube favored the outcome he was looking for on it's own?

Basically it was a question of whether there emerged a dichotomy between Qui Gon's faith in the Will of the Force and his faith in The Prophecy of the Chosen One.  Fun debate, I forgot to check up on that after awhile.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:33:34 am by On_Your_Six »

Very well said, On_Your_Six. It's something I've pondered as well. Makes one wonder. lol