Author Topic: Canon and continuity  (Read 45738 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Solo shoots first

My sentiments exactly.  The Anakin swap and the Greedo can't aim changes are probably the two dumbest things in the newer trilogies.  I say that plural because not only is the SE version that was in theatres in 1997 different from the OT besides the added footage, the DVD release is still more different in even more annoying ways.  I mean come on, they had to credit David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Bob Anderson, _and_ Hayden Christensen for the same guy in one movie.  A bit ridiculous me thinks.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
My only problem with this image is that Anakin wasn't wearing such robes when he turned to the dark side.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Doesn't really matter whether he wore them at the moment he turned or not, he never really wore an outfit like that anyways except as a tiny little kid.  Maybe if they'd replaced Sebastian Shaw with Jake Lloyd instead of Hayden Christensen then the outfit would make sense =P
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
His height is also wrong. Obi-Wan appears to be the same height as him. And Anakin is supposed to have broader shoulders. Hmmm... nitpicking is good.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Apparently turning to the Dark side means you get to go back to being young again when you die...

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
I'm totally turning to the dark side.  It's like Catholicism, do whatever you want your whole life (except unlike Catholicism, you can shoot freakin lightning from your fingertips!), then on your deathbed just say sorry and you're all good!

</Controversial statements>
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
1) Dad said that if he would've been Vader, he would have immediately hanged himself. No stupis mask, he is just fine as a Jedi vision or what :).
2) I'd say that nothing is canon what happens (in timeline) after SW6: TJR, since in that movie BOTH the Sith master and the student (or what, dunno the proper English word) has been eradicated, thus the whole conflict what SW was about... ceased.
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
I think in general it's very difficult to determine what is canon when talking about a subject which retcons itself every couple of years with a new edition.

I mean for god's sake, it's canon now that the Death Star II was NOT being controlled by the empire, but by IG-88, who was doing what the controllers told him to in preparation for a massive droid revolution.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Funny enough i happened to look at the wookpedia and i guess Lucas contradicted the ANH quote of the Jedi/Republic being around for a thousand generations in the prequels as a thousand years.  This basically screwing the entire great hyperspace war, Sith Wars and all the expanded universe timeline that was based off Obi Wan's comment.   Therefore the EU needed to add entire new Jedi/Sith war that caused a reformation for the Republic in order to account for Lucas' goof.  At this stage its probably the most sane route to cherry pick the good stuff (The original trilogy, Zhan, Xwing series, etc) and do your best to ignore the crappy parts. :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

I mean for god's sake, it's canon now that the Death Star II was NOT being controlled by the empire, but by IG-88, who was doing what the controllers told him to in preparation for a massive droid revolution.

You're joking?

So now the safety of the Universe was threatened by another Galaxies version of the Keystone Cops?

It's that beard, it must be, Lucas must have had ingrowing follicles and it's fuzzed up his brain or something...

I agree with StarSlayer, just pick what makes sense and ignore the rest, the important part is making the game good, if everyone else can change the timeline as and when it suits them, then why not you?

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Canon shmanon.  The real Star Wars is the moment when Luke is in the trench about to die, his best friend just got it by literally putting his body between Luke and the man who is trying to kill them all, the Empire is on a genocidal tear and about to destroy the galaxy's last hope, the music is pounding in his ears and then suddenly the bottom drops out and Kenobi tells him that the force which binds the universe together will unmake the death machine.  Everything else is footnotes.  Awesome footnotes. Sure there's some fridge nuking, but people want to and would have would have forgiven Lucas for the stupid stuff if there were a core to the prequels like there was in the originals.  Use the force, FotG.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Canon shmanon.  The real Star Wars is the moment when Luke is in the trench about to die, his best friend just got it by literally putting his body between Luke and the man who is trying to kill them all, the Empire is on a genocidal tear and about to destroy the galaxy's last hope, the music is pounding in his ears and then suddenly the bottom drops out and Kenobi tells him that the force which binds the universe together will unmake the death machine.  Everything else is footnotes.  Awesome footnotes. Sure there's some fridge nuking, but people want to and would have would have forgiven Lucas for the stupid stuff if there were a core to the prequels like there was in the originals.  Use the force, FotG.
Much wisdom, this one has.

I hate that they changed that final shot in RotJ to replace Sebastian Shaw with Christensen...  I really didn't care to see that twit stare through his eyebrows at the camera one more time...  Watching the OT used to be about forgetting that miserable performace.

I hate that they changed that final shot in RotJ to replace Sebastian Shaw with Christensen...  I really didn't care to see that twit stare through his eyebrows at the camera one more time...  Watching the OT used to be about forgetting that miserable performace.
lol Personally, that didn't really bother me. I was more bothered that all they did was replace Shaw's head with Christensen's. That's why Hayden's build doesn't match the prequels. But yeah, even though I like Hayden, I think it wiser to have left Sebastian alone for ROTJ. :P

Anyway, regarding ion cannons, the main reason why they're so effective in combat is that they actually bypass deflector shields. An ability that's misrepresented in Star Wars games. Typically in Star Wars games, ion cannons deal extra damage to deflector shields rather than ignoring them altogether. And naturally, the power of the ion bolt depends on the type of ion cannon system it's fired from like the B-wing's more powerful SW-7a ion cannons versus the Y-wing's SW-4 ion cannons.

Speaking of deflector shields. They're another element that's been incorrectly portrayed. There are two basic types. Energy shields for deflecting laser fire and particle shields for deflecting physical attacks such as concussion missiles, proton torpedoes, space debris, those pesky asteroids, etc. Most craft are equipped with both types, but neither have been implemented correctly in past games.

You'd think that a company like LA, a division of LFL, who has access to all official Star Wars canon, tech manuals, schematics, etc., could make a great Star Wars game that implements great gameplay mechanics without unnecessarily skewering canon. lol Shame on LA. As much as I love the classic X-wing & T.I.E. Fighter series, they were among the first to absolutely butcher canon. So much for the term simulator.

Aren't the Ion Cannon equipped fighters mentioned more heavily in the EU content? I also don't remember much Y-Wing and B-Wing combat from the films, but its been awhile.

The B-wings don't see any combat in the films whatsoever. "All craft pull up!" is the last you ever see of the B-wing at the battle of endor. Meanwhile the Y-Wings in both films just tend to get blown apart. I recall one spiraling into a Star Destroyer in BoE right before one of the cuts to the surface of Endor.
Okay, I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to put my two cents in. I hope nobody minds. :)

There were only 8 Y-wings that participated in the BOY, only two had working ion cannons. Of course 3 dove into the trench, but according to LFL, the other 5 were engaging the T.I.E.s, turbo lasers, and deflection towers "just off screen". ;)

During the BOE, Y-wings were successfully engaging Imperial forces including T.I.E. Interceptors as there were a couple scenes showing Y-wings pursuing and destroying them. And aside from the one scene you mentioned with the Y-wing getting blasted and slamming into the SD's hull, I can't remember any other scenes showing a Y-wing getting blitzed. I'll have to check it out. lol

Unfortunately, the extensive B-wing scenes planned for ROTJ had to be cut due to the limitations of '80s blue screen technology working against the B-wing's design. I'm still miffed LFL never included CG versions of the original B-wing scenes for the SE releases. :mad:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:29:33 pm by Vector Leader »
Chance favors the prepared mind.

You'd think that a company like LA, a division of LFL, who has access to all official Star Wars canon, tech manuals, schematics, etc., could make a great Star Wars game that implements great gameplay mechanics without unnecessarily skewering canon. lol Shame on LA. As much as I love the classic X-wing & T.I.E. Fighter series, they were among the first to absolutely butcher canon. So much for the term simulator.

Ah but you forget that their mantra where videogame creation is concerned is to make it accessible by the largest possible audience (hence no further development of the X-Wing series), where most gamers could care less about the technical specifications...  Trigger = cool red beam + enemy surface + cool explosion = satisfied gamer...  Sad but true...  See Rogue Squadron, Starfighter or Battlefront series.

Ah but you forget that their mantra where videogame creation is concerned is to make it accessible by the largest possible audience (hence no further development of the X-Wing series), where most gamers could care less about the technical specifications...  Trigger = cool red beam + enemy surface + cool explosion = satisfied gamer...  Sad but true...  See Rogue Squadron, Starfighter or Battlefront series.
Yeah, very true. But there's no reason why they couldn't do both. What I have a problem with are the ridiculous unnecessary sacrifices to canon they make in the name of "great" gameplay. They could easily cater to both types of audiences by not doing such. The Battlefront series is a prime example.

...and don't get me started on the Battlefront series. lol :P That's why the First Strike mod exists. lol Thank God for them. :nod:

I would chalk any other sacrifices of canon or technical accuracy up to the deadlines they work on.  Lucasarts is quite reknowned for putting deadlines over quality, that's where we get the unfinished Azzameen story...

Hey look, that Uncle fellow killed half our family...  Well, we blew up the Death Star, so obviously that's going to count for enough...  Let's leave him alone...  End Credits.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:51:36 pm by On_Your_Six »

Truly. Especially within these past few years. They've been getting increasingly worse with that. Oh, to think what Rebel Strike could've been! :( I really do have a love/hate relationship with them.