Author Topic: Mild flaming about D3D and OGL (Was: My thoughts on D3D)  (Read 7109 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually BtRL is quite useful for settling this debate as it shipped with the D3D code disabled. You could select D3D in the launcher but it would just run OGL instead. I did this because I didn't want people who were completely new to FSO flooding the forums with complaints which were caused by them running D3D instead of OGL be default.

In order to take care of people who did require D3D builds I compiled a second set of binaries which did have D3D built in. In total I must have given them out to maybe 20 people. We had 100,000 downloads. I really don't think it's worth the effort of spending coder time on D3D unless it is to actually fix the code so it works as well as OGL.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
when I was on vacation I've been using my Vaio TR2A notebook with Intel® 855GM Chipset Integrated Graphics. (128 megs video memory). It worked without a flaw. I could run both BtrL and WCS. All I had to do was to update my drivers. Intel does offer improved drivers even for older gpus.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
for desktops anyone could spend $40 bucks on low end vid card at wal-mart and have something suffietient to run the game. you dont have to blow $500 on a video card to play. laptops on the other hand have never really been a game oriented platform. and with poor upgradeability, one who plans on using the laptop for gaming would spend a little extra to buy a gaming oriented laptop with ati/nvidia chipsets. in 2002 i spent a good 2 grand on a gaming laptop, but now you can get something good enought to play fs2open in the $500-$800 pricerange. its just a matter of common sence to consider all the specs before dropping money on a laptop.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I think i paid $60 for this old (3yo or so) radeon 9250 at wallyworld... (I needed a non agp card just to see if my computer booted properly) SCP runs fine (normal mapping doesn't work but oh well..)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
D3D is dead, bury it
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
D3D is dead, bury it

Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine; In memoria æterna erit justus, ab auditione mala non timebit.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I just tested the current SCP build on my laptop (Old, but at least an Celeron 2,2 Ghz + 2GB Ram).

The integrated gfx chip (SiS 650) didn't work with SCP build when I tested it last time. I think that's almost one year ago.

Well, it's quite slow now, even with standard content, but it works.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline sfried

If you guys are going to dedicate this game completely to GL, please solve the flickering menus first. It's no run trying to guess around just because the user interface is screwy.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
To my knowledge, it has been fixed in newer builds than 3.6.9.  At least, I haven't noticed it in any of the ones I've tested in the last several months.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The flickering problem is still there, it's just that I've managed to reduce how frequently it happens.  I've actually got to rework that entire part of the code to fix it.  The problem is also specific to config, so whether you get the problem depends on whether you use ATI or NVIDIA, with certain driver versions/configs, whether you run in a window or not, and which OS you are running it on.  But since all of that is used for only one thing, and only on the interface, it doesn't exactly have top priority.  If I get enough free time, or get bored enough with the other stuff that I'm working on, I'll get it properly fixed.

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
What about Vista users(like me) where OpenGL is only emulated? I've got lower FPS on VIsta than in XP. Direct 3D is more usefull on Vista.
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Cyker

But D3D ONLY works in Windows - OpenGL works on everything.

I'm migrating away from Windows because I can see the writing on the wall, but the ONLY area I'm stuck is GAMES.

There are only a handful of mainstream(-ish) games I can play in Linux (NWN, Darwinia, FS:SCP, UT...) so IMHO anything to keep that list and grow it gets the thumbs up from me.

If WINE/ReactOS ever get stable enough to play all my other stuff (XvT, MW3, DoW, HL2, Bioshock etc.) then I'll be long gone...

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
What about Vista users(like me) where OpenGL is only emulated? I've got lower FPS on VIsta than in XP. Direct 3D is more usefull on Vista.

OpenGL is not emulated in Vista if you have ForceWare/Catalyst drivers installed. Only default Microsoft drivers emulate OGL. I'm using Vista myself and FSOpen simply runs great in OGL.

Please close this stupid discussion about D3D. D3D is not supported because there's no coder to support it. If anyone wants D3D support he knows what to do: join SCP team and CONTINUOUSLY rework it just like Taylor (mainly) does with OGL.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
OK, so if you have Vista, folks, you need to download the latest drivers from your hardware manufacturer (ATi or nVidia), and use them instead of the M$ drivers.  M$ drivers suck in XP, too.

Oh, and I can't wait for ReactOS, either... I'm just hoping everyone's not using Windows 2012 by then... unless ReactOS supports it too.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
downloading latest drivers is pretty much mandatory for anyone who plays alot of new games. i check for driver updates every month.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I just hate when they break stuff.  I remember when the Forceware 50 series came out it broke BF1942 terribly on my GF4 Ti series.  Random polygons sticking out of stuff all over the place, missing textures, it was bad.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline wolf

What about Vista users(like me) where OpenGL is only emulated?
Please stop spreading the FUD.
http://blogs.msdn.com/kamvedbrat/archive/2006/02/22/537624.aspx

I've got lower FPS on VIsta than in XP. Direct 3D is more usefull on Vista.
http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/article/vol003_9/

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
xD WHat about Intel X3100 users like me - is Vista still emulating OGL in my graphic card?
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Kaine

xD WHat about Intel X3100 users like me - is Vista still emulating OGL in my graphic card?

i'm not sure how much more clear that article could've been. How about reading it braniac?

Honestly i don't even know why this issue is being discussed. To me it's such an obvious decision to ditch DirectX i don't know why it wasn't made a long time ago. There is a very good reason the vast majority of modern game engines are specific to one API. Trying to support 2 across multiple platforms is absolutely ludicrous and is probably the most efficient way of being totally left in the dust that i can think of. Stop crying about DirectX and let the devs get on with their job. A few releases after it's removed you'll all be wondering why it wasn't done sooner.

As for vista... well screw vista is my stance. But since people seem to insist on inflicting it upon themselves i'm pretty sure it will be easier to tweak FS2Open's opengl implementation to work well on Vista than it will to get the game working properly with 2 APIs. If you're running vista and you have a card that doesn't support opengl... i don't know how or why you're running Vista. OpenGL isn't some exotic new API people. it's been around a lot longer than DirectX and is used in everything from industrial modelling applications to hugely popular games like the Quake series.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 02:23:43 pm by Kaine »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Mild flaming about D3D and OGL (Was: My thoughts on D3D)
If you're using Vista, I'd think you'd be entitle to a downgrade... aka XP Corp + WGA crack.  I mean, you own the license for the next OS, which you don't want to use, right?  Although I'm sure M$ would disagree.