Author Topic: Mild flaming about D3D and OGL (Was: My thoughts on D3D)  (Read 7110 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Mild flaming about D3D and OGL (Was: My thoughts on D3D)
opengl is by far more reverse compatable than d3d has ever been. directx is the reason i cant play most of my old games on new computers. i can still play glquake from '96, but there are many newer d3d games i cant play.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

opengl is by far more reverse compatable than d3d has ever been. directx is the reason i cant play most of my old games on new computers. i can still play glquake from '96, but there are many newer d3d games i cant play.
*Dreaming*

It will probably never happen, but I think it would be beautiful, a truly noble thing, if Microsoft one day, with all of its money and power, decided to simply dump Direct3D and go with the industry standard of OpenGL, and focus its efforts on making sure its operating systems are insanely good at OpenGL. Surely OpenGL can do everything that DirectX 10 can do? If the entire industry settled on one cross compatible API there wouldn't be a problem here.

The alternative, of course -- equally as unlikely -- Microsoft making DirectX open source. We can dream... :)

EDIT: Of course, MS would never do that because it would make MS lose their dominance over the gaming industry...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 06:45:34 pm by Gregster2k »

Well they did that with OpenAL  ;)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
They did use OpenAL, but making their OS work insanely well with it is another story altogether.  Audio support on Vista is crap, they really shat on people in that category.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays