Author Topic: Freespace vs Starwars  (Read 15989 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
A Bgreen right in the bridge of a Star Destroyer, so one hit kill for the Orion! :P
Kids this is what we would call, a HeadShot.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 05:42:54 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Hm... I see I struck a slightly soft spot with this one, go on people, this is good stuff! :D
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
All I know is that I want to see a GTVA vs Empire campaign now. How cool would it be to capture a Tie Defender 'Playing Judas' style, or do bombing runs on a Star Destroyer's bridge, or try dogfighting with Baron Fel? :D
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I just had another thought, some people say that the empire has hordes of fighters and bombers (no doubt true), but do any of those fighters have shields? Do they have weapons that are actually useful against FS shields (xazer, etc)? This would actually give FS a huge advantage, especially flak equiped capital ships (any unshielded fighter can be torn apart in seconds by flak, regardless of the universe).

All I know is that I want to see a GTVA vs Empire campaign now. How cool would it be to capture a Tie Defender 'Playing Judas' style, or do bombing runs on a Star Destroyer's bridge, or try dogfighting with Baron Fel?

Sounds awesome, so who's going to start fredding it? :D
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
thus rendering Fighter attack relatively useless against the might of the Imperial shielding

Then how did A-wings destroy the shield generators in ROTJ in about five shots?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I just had another thought, some people say that the empire has hordes of fighters and bombers (no doubt true), but do any of those fighters have shields? Do they have weapons that are actually useful against FS shields (xazer, etc)? This would actually give FS a huge advantage, especially flak equiped capital ships (any unshielded fighter can be torn apart in seconds by flak, regardless of the universe).

Well... based only on the movies, no (with the exception of TIE X1/Advanced which is AFAIK only seen once in the original trilogy, flown by Darth Vader).

Based on other sources (games/expanded universe/tech books and stuff), yes, the Imps do have shielded ships like Assault Gunboats and even specially fitted TIE Interceptors with shields, not to mention more advanced TIE models like the Defender which is stupidly overpowered in the original TIE Fighter game, but whatever. But the bulk of imperial navy fighter complement is unshielded - TIE/ln Fighter (space superiority swarm pest), TIE Interceptor and TIE Bomber. These they have a lot and plenty more; the shielded ships are more rare.

But make no mistake, the imps could probably only use their TIE Advanced and Assault Gunboats to bring against GTVA fighter/bomber complement, and there would still be more of them than GTVA could muster...

Whether or not the weapons would be effective against FS universe shields... that would remain to be seen. However, the imps could again start to use missiles exclusively against shielded fightercraft, and that would be the end of that story.

</nerd> :lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
IIR, travel time between any two systems in FS 2 is rougly 10 minutes. distance seems to change very little regarding travel time.
SW ships have been known to take a lot longer to travel between systems.
Spot on.  How fast is the Millenium Falcon?  0.25 past lightspeed.  Meh!!

Hm..You state that GTVA has better armor, yet DS2 ships chew eachtoer to shreads in seconds, whereas SW ships, which supposedly have weaker armor, lob lasers at eachother for hours.
How can this be if the Imps have stronger weapons???? :wtf:

Shield all FS2 capships, then see how long they take if you don't allow beam weapons.  :p

Shields:
*sNIp*

It is unknown if SW shield could protect from FS2 weapons.
All SW ships shoot lasers. Guns like maxim accelerate uranium slugs.
Relisticly, energy shields should only be able to stop energy weapons... but I digress.

Umm, there are ray shields, and then there are others EDIT: particle shields, mentioned below.  You notice that the Rebel fleet in RotJ didn't simply drop their shields, slip through the DSII shields, and turn them back on.  The shield surrounding the DSII was "matter" or w/e you call it EDIT: particle shielding.  To avoid the bugzapper syndrome, the Rebel fleet had to do a 180.  You remember the DSI suffered its fate due to its tube only being "ray" shielded.  But first, before they entered the trench, didn't the Rebels have to destroy some shield projection towers?  I sincerely doubt they blew up ray-shield towers, as they could have sailed right through those if they shut down their own shields (no energy to repel, then just flip 'em back on when you're though).

I dunno. FS2 fighters seem very heavily shielded and have very toguh armor - especially the heavy ones like Erynies and Ares. And a lot of gun banks.
Let's not forget the redicolously impossibly large missile capacity compared to SW fighters. Most Imp fighters can't even launch missiles of any kind.

Teh mainstray of hte Imp fleet is a tie-fighter. 2 guns, no missiles, no shield, paper thin hull.
What would be the FS2 equalent? Myrmodon or Herc2?
Myrmodon has 6 weapons banks and can carry a helios. pwnz a tie fighter.

Careful.  If you can't land a hit on it, all the firepower in the world won't do you any good.  Notice the SW "lasers" move alot faster than FS "lasers", for the most part.  And the TIE fighters were a formidable adversary to the Rebels, who had fast, heavily armoured, heavily shielded (both comparitively) ships.  One TIE?  np.  Two?  np.  Four?  Jeez... this is fun.  16?  Umm..... HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!  "FOOOOOM!!"

All I know is that I want to see a GTVA vs Empire campaign now. How cool would it be to capture a Tie Defender 'Playing Judas' style, or do bombing runs on a Star Destroyer's bridge, or try dogfighting with Baron Fel? :D

Ya, but be sure to include the confusion that results from Imp / Rebels fighting with each other, and then finding the GTVA, then they discover Vasudans.  The GTVA finds the Imps, but doesn't know about the Rebels, perhaps a trigger happy pilot takes them for Imps & opens fire.... Throw the mercs and pirates into the mix and you've got quite the mix-up.

Oh, and I think the Imps and the GTVA would both be in for surprises.  Particularly when the Imps find themselves staring down the barrel of their own turbo lasers a few weeks after there were unconfirmed reports a sensor malfunction reporting an untargetable ship buzzing around a Star Destroyer.  ;7  And the GTVA comes up against an SSD... only to find out there's more than one.  ;)

Oh, and last thing:  Then Carl stops by to say hi.  Hopefully Luke is around to talk / mindspeak some sense into him.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 12:51:00 am by jr2 »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I always wanted to have an Imp vs. Shivan campaign... Inspired by that thread over on GameSpot IIRC...

Course it's unknown if FS2 beams actually penetrate SW shielding without having to overload it.    If they can pass then it's fairer, if they can't, then no beam will peneptrate them, (aren't star destroyer's shields rated in the multi-tetratons per second range)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Multi-tetratons ... Again - based on what ? And that kind of numbers are stupid even for Star Wars ...

I'll TRY to make a mission with a Star Destroyer vs Orion ( and two wings of Ares against multiple wings of Tie fighters ) . No promises that I'll succeed though . . .

While I personally perfer the older weaker Star wars (more useful in versus).... Course the 200 gigaton beam Sathanas should be thrown out the door then.

Multi-terratons isn't all that great.  Anyone have any idea what sidewalls and Culture gridfire is rated at?

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, technicly, since both a single Terran Turret and a single turbolaser both destroy a asteroid in one hit, I'd say their BASIC weapons are comparable in strength.

F'course, the jump from Terran Laser to a BFGreen is HUGE compared to a jump from a smaller turbolaser to a bigger turbolaser.

There's no doubt in my mind that Fs capships could eat star destroyers for lunch.
The thing is, GTVA has a 100 of those things, while the Imps have trousands.

The GTVA does seem to have excellent pilots that dont' seem to be pure cannonfodder, unlike the imps.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Kie99

Multi-tetratons ... Again - based on what ? And that kind of numbers are stupid even for Star Wars ...

I'll TRY to make a mission with a Star Destroyer vs Orion ( and two wings of Ares against multiple wings of Tie fighters ) . No promises that I'll succeed though . . .

Based on blowing up a ****ing planet in one shot, among other things.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Isn't Harbingers 5000MT (5GT [is 1 MT = 1/1000 GT?]) and does 3200 damage? so about 1.5625 points per MT.   the wiki shows the BFRED at 11550, which converts to 18046.88MT (18GT?)

18*4 for the sathanas results in 72GT...  Murderous for star trek, ehh for star wars, and 'huh what was that?' for culture.  not sure how warhammer 40k would see it

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
18*4 for the sathanas results in 72GT

On the other hand all that damage goes straight to the hull, bypassing the shields (although leaving them intact)
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

Lets wait for the SWC TC for FS2!
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
<Spock>

......Fascinating.....

</Spock>

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Isn't Harbingers 5000MT (5GT [is 1 MT = 1/1000 GT?]) and does 3200 damage? so about 1.5625 points per MT.   the wiki shows the BFRED at 11550, which converts to 18046.88MT (18GT?)

18*4 for the sathanas results in 72GT...  Murderous for star trek, ehh for star wars, and 'huh what was that?' for culture.  not sure how warhammer 40k would see it

Such numbers are useles..
For starters, hwo do we know a Joul in SW universe equals our Joul.

Since it's impossible for the Death Star to fire such beam....Assuming a 100% matter to energy conversion and a 10 times larger Death Satar, even if you then convert the whole mass of the station into energy it wouldn't be enough to reach the "official" number.

I mean, you could just as well write that a SW laser has a power of 100000000^10000 Terra Watts, but when it takes 20 shots to take out a small asteroid barely larger than a fighter, you KNOW something ain't right. Or vice versa.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

IIRC Imp's have 2 sets of shields, ray shields to protect against lasers, and particle shields to protect against missiles and other physical objects.  I think this is stated in either the X-Wing series of books or the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy, possibly both

Armour:  For a comparison of these two, we must look to a common baseline, some attack which exists in both sources:  Asteroids.  The GTVA's destroyers are shown able to withstand impacts by several asteroids.  An Imperial Star Destroyer's Bridge tower is struck by an asteroid of similar size, though greater speed, and is destroyed.  This suggests that the hull armour of the GTVA's ships is greater than that of a Star Destroyer, though debatably considering the Asteroid seen in Star Wars had a greater kinetic energy.
We don't know that the bridge in ESB was destroyed. All we saw was its commander getting knocked around and his transmission cutting off. It could easily have just shook the bridge and damaged their comm system.

And at any rate, the fleet had been in the asteroid field searching for the Millennium Falcon for quite some time when that happened, much longer than a GTVA ship would be able to survive in an asteroid field. Those asteroid missions are over within minutes and the ship's hull is still typically at critical levels by the end of them. I agree with the rest of your points, but this scene in now way indicates that Imperial armour is weaker than what the GTVA uses, and considering the fact that it's able to stand up to barrages from the much stronger Star Wars weapons I think it's safe to conclude that Imperial armour is significantly stronger than GTVA armour as well.

All I know is that I want to see a GTVA vs Empire campaign now. How cool would it be to capture a Tie Defender 'Playing Judas' style, or do bombing runs on a Star Destroyer's bridge, or try dogfighting with Baron Fel?

Sounds awesome, so who's going to start fredding it? :D
Shield interactions are visible on TIE-Fighters in the movies. It's only the EU that says they're unshielded, and the EU also adds quite a few shielded fighters to the Empire's arsenal. Also, we know that the Rebels are able to shield their ships, so it's obvious that the technology exists to do so in the Star Wars universe, even if the Empire may choose not to employ it universally.
thus rendering Fighter attack relatively useless against the might of the Imperial shielding

Then how did A-wings destroy the shield generators in ROTJ in about five shots?
The entire Rebel fleet had been bombarding the Executor with turbolaser fire for quite a while before the A-Wings swooped in, took advantage of the ship's dropped bridge shields and destroyed one of its sensor domes. It was the fleet that took down its shields, not the A-Wings.