Author Topic: Amazing Coincidence  (Read 2916 times)

Offline admiral_wolf

• Commander of the Orion class Destroyer GTD Galatea
Was just at work at a bar working a Pub Quiz when the question "What is the 3rd letter of the Greek alphabet?" came up.  From what I thought I learned about FreeSpace, I thought it was Delta, seeing as they are usually the 3rd wing.  A colleague then corrected me saying it was Elipson as he had learned Greek.

Anyway, he wanted to know why I thought it was Delta, so I told him, I used to play a Space age shooter called FreeSpace, and the wings I flew with where named after letters of the Greek Alphabet.  He then told me that he has the same game!  I thought it was cool that two people working in a bar would happen to play a 10 year old computer game.
I reject your reality and substitute my own, hence my existance on the Galatea!

Offline Shade

Nice... now introduce him to Freespace Open so he can re-enjoy it with more eyecandy ;) Oh, and by the way, you're both wrong. The third letter of the Greek alphabet is Gamma :p Delta is the 4th and Epsilon the 5th.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
teh lulz

Offline admiral_wolf

• Commander of the Orion class Destroyer GTD Galatea
Now that you remind me Shade, that's what he said!  I did tell him about Hard Light and the SCP.  He also told me to try something about getting FS1 to work on Crapsta.
I reject your reality and substitute my own, hence my existance on the Galatea!

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Tell him to get Freespace 2 Open and then download the FS Port. That should let him enjoy his FS1 on Vista with more eyecandy and better resolution.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Nice... now introduce him to Freespace Open so he can re-enjoy it with more eyecandy ;) Oh, and by the way, you're both wrong. The third letter of the Greek alphabet is Gamma :p Delta is the 4th and Epsilon the 5th.

:yes:

teh lulz

:wtf:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Wow, I wish I could find someone that plays Freespace here. I feel lonely being the only guy who knows about the game in my neighborhood.

Also, I could technically see how your friend confused Epsilon for the third letter. I remember back on the 4th training mission on the original FS where your instructor orders you to call in Epsilon wing of the 3rd Squadron. Ever since that, I always thought Epsilon was the third letter.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:39:36 pm by Gamma_Draconis »

Yeah, I don't know anyone that plays FreeSpace either.  I wish I did.

I thought Eta was the fifth  :wtf:

According to Wikipedia:

Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Wow jeez. If wikipedia is right, that shows how much we know about the Greek Alphabet; 3 wrongs in a row.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
... It's all Greek to me.

Offline Hamano

• http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~hamano/
All your base are belong to us.

I think Epsilon, 5th letter was used for the wing,
because the wing was from another squadron.
Next letter used our last wing causes some kind of confusion.
Just my guess.

jr2:
You are quite right!