Author Topic: SCP troubles  (Read 25160 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I've got a 8800 GTX + Vista 32 bit and I only use drivers from nVidia WEB. And the latest available driver is 169.44.

quick question why would you want to use no gsl ?

It's just a test. Remember that old GPUs don't support glsl (SM 3.0 required) and that the current OFFICIAL build is still 3.6.9 which doesn't support it either.

My posts here are just general info. Personally, I don't worry much about it
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
nvidia has released 174.74 beta drivers for ALL cards, Vista and XP, 32 & 64-bit.

In guru3d forums someone posted that this driver solved "texture corruption with old games".

I'm outside home till monday so could anyone give them a try and check if:
+ GLSL rendering (ie XT builds with normal mapping support enabled) renders fine.

AND

+ old rendering, (official 3.6.9. build, newest 20080321 SVN trunk build or -no_glsl within Taylor's XT builds), is fixed again. So chess-board pattern artifacts or white & black lines instead of textures are gone.

(Please remember that mediavp 3.6.8zeta models and textures are more prone to these troubles than mediavp 3.6.10beta ones).
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I've been running the 171.17 WHQL drivers for XP since the day of release. They only work on 8xxx series cards, however.

Hopefully these drivers are the same thing but more broad spectrum. I think the broad spectrum part is what is hurting the drivers though. The should have 2 classes of unified drivers: Everything below the 8xxx series in one and 8xxx Above in another.

Hopefully these don't have the same performance impacts of the other 17x.xx drivers on older cards. I will try them on my 7600 GTS and find out.

**Edit: Have confirmed under basic 3.6.9, Stable Trunk and XT (with and withot -no_glsl) that there are no graphical corruptions under 3.6.8Z and 3.6.10B mediavp's.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 04:45:09 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I've just tested with 174.74 and I reconfirm that the graphical corruptions seem fixed.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yay, I should get my new rig put together this week and hope to be able to show off all the new features at a LAN party this weekend, with a bunch of comp sci's around.  Maybe I can generate some interest among them too :)

So it sounds like I should be able to find a fairly stable setup using an 8800 GTS 512 using the 17x.xx drivers now.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays