Author Topic: Naming Shivan Ships  (Read 16567 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

What about for a supercarrier?

It's still a bad name but this is only my opinion, of course.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Dead presidents as ship names are common for the US Navy. I'd personally like to do that with GTVA warships, except for the fact that we don't know the names of basically every leader there is--and I don't think Snipes would ever be recognized as a public hero (despite the cockpit covered in duct-tape'd medals).
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

(despite the cockpit covered in duct-tape'd medals).

That was Mackie of Derelict... not Snipes.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Dead presidents as ship names are common for the US Navy. I'd personally like to do that with GTVA warships, except for the fact that we don't know the names of basically every leader there is--and I don't think Snipes would ever be recognized as a public hero (despite the cockpit covered in duct-tape'd medals).

With that in mind, there could be a GTD Petrarch.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
GTD Samsa (i THINK it was a samsa in charge of the bastion no?)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
GTD Samsa (i THINK it was a samsa in charge of the bastion no?)

No, it was a woman IIRC. Samsa was a squadron leader, dont know of which though.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Samsa was squadron leader of the 107th Ravens on the Aquitaine.

The admiral on the Bastion was Admiral Shima.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Arg i always get those two mixed up  :hopping:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Sarafan: I know, Hyperion is widely used, but I don't remember ships called "Bahamut"(without considering mine)  :wtf:

Ransom: Lovecraft's names are famous. I have never read a book of H. L., but I know names like Chtulhu thanks to many RPGs. There have been many TV shows about the Necronomicon and The Call of Chtulhu...I don't remember a TV show about Tolkien.

Sauron became the Lord of Mordor in a second moment...you should know of the dark period passed with Morgoth...or what he did in Nùmenor. He rivalled with his Master!

The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Ransom: Lovecraft's names are famous. I have never read a book of H. L., but I know names like Chtulhu thanks to many RPGs. There have been many TV shows about the Necronomicon and The Call of Chtulhu...I don't remember a TV show about Tolkien.

Sauron became the Lord of Mordor in a second moment...you should know of the dark period passed with Morgoth...or what he did in Nùmenor. He rivalled with his Master!
I didn't say they weren't famous. I said they weren't half as famous as Tolkien's. Most people have heard the name Lovecraft, but only a fraction of those know he was an author let alone anything more detailed.

The Call of Cthulhu has never been adapted for TV - in fact it's only recently the first movie based on that story came out. It's a black and white silent film which never screened in cinemas. People who aren't big fans of Lovecraft will never see it. The Necronomicon I'll give you, but that has really extended well beyond Lovecraft's universe - it was made famous because of how many things referenced it, to the point where people who have never even heard of Lovecraft can recognise the name. The Evil Dead movies are probably the best example of this.

There have only been a handful of TV shows based on Lovecraft works. There's a few films, but most of them are very loosely based on stories which don't involve Cthulhu and none of them are major. Where did you get the idea there were 'many' of them?

Lovecraft floats around in the public consciousness, but you simply cannot argue he is anywhere near as recognisable as Tolkien. Cthulhu and the Necronomicon are pretty much the only ones which are at all widely known, and Cthulhu isn't actually in that many of his stories.

Sauron makes a bad ship name because it's about as unsubtle as a reference can get. Cthulhu isn't much better, I'll agree. Derelict's use of Nyarlathotep on the other hand is actually quite appropriate given the role that name had in Lovecraft's stories, and it's suitably obscure. And the less recognisable of Tolkien's names - like, say, the Numenor you mentioned - that'd be decent ship name material. When you reference other fiction you have to strike a balance between clear enough that fans will recognise it, and subtle enough that people who aren't will not. Otherwise it's just obnoxious.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Please note that "TV shows" doesn't necessarily mean films and stuff. I was refering to shows in which the themes of the books have been discussed.

I didn't mention Nùmenor as a good name for a ship, I mentioned it because it's connected to what Sauron did before LOTR. You call Sauron "Lord of Mordor"...that's the role he has in LOTR. In LOTR he's almost a spectral identity, in other works by Tolkien he's not.

The only well known Sauron is the Red Eye, not the Maia who rebelled and promoted pseudo-satanic rites. In LOTR Sauron isn't scary and doesn't appear as a powerful enemy: he's immobile, vulnerable and can only influence the others. In the Silmarillion he's completely different. That's why I consider Sauron a good name for a Shivan ship.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Kindly give me some examples of these supposedly numerous TV shows, then.

A vast majority have never heard of the history you're talking about and so to them he'll always be the Lord of Mordor. I'll repeat myself: it's a completely unsubtle reference. You'd be better off naming the ship after one of Sauron's other names (which are far cooler anyway) if you absolutely must tie a ship to that character. It's like calling a ship Voldemort or something. It jumps out at the player far too much and breaks immersion.

But in any case it doesn't look like we're going to come to an agreement here.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
(despite the cockpit covered in duct-tape'd medals).

That was Mackie of Derelict... not Snipes.
I know that already--I was just saying that Snipes has a lot of rewards from the GTVI. I didn't want to say in his medals chest--it seems boring. :P
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Kindly give me some examples of these supposedly numerous TV shows, then.

What about "we live in two different countries and watch different TV programs"? :P

Lovecraft has been discussed in many TV shows here. I have also read many articles about him. The most recent one has been published about one month ago.

A vast majority have never heard of the history you're talking about and so to them he'll always be the Lord of Mordor. I'll repeat myself: it's a completely unsubtle reference. You'd be better off naming the ship after one of Sauron's other names (which are far cooler anyway) if you absolutely must tie a ship to that character. It's like calling a ship Voldemort or something. It jumps out at the player far too much and breaks immersion.

That's the point, people know the films based on LOTR and know nothing of the rest(even the original plot of the books has been slightly changed). I think that in a special environment the name Sauron can be used without problems. I'm thinking of a group of Shivan ships named after Tolkien's evil creatures. One of them is Sauron. In such an environment the player will reckognize one name but will know nothing of the others. "Looks like I missed something...".

But in any case it doesn't look like we're going to come to an agreement here.

:yes:

Wrong! :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Sarafan: I know, Hyperion is widely used, but I don't remember ships called "Bahamut"(without considering mine)  :wtf:

IIRC the airship you get in FF8 is Bahamut too but it's mostly because it's a too widely used name, people already know that something called Bahamut is going to be the badass ship/monster/etc. It's a cliche, in other words.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Uh? In Final Fantasy VIII the ship si called Ragnarock(and Lagunarock in the Italian version). Bahamut is a Guardian Force.

Are you refering to Final Fantasy XII? The fight against the last boss is aboard a warship named Bahamut. ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Uh? In Final Fantasy VIII the ship si called Ragnarock(and Lagunarock in the Italian version). Bahamut is a Guardian Force.

Are you refering to Final Fantasy XII? The fight against the last boss is aboard a warship named Bahamut. ;)

No, I was wrong, it was the Ragnarock, that's why I said IIRC. But I didnt knew about that one in FF9.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Eh? FFVIII is FF8, not FF9! :blah:

Stop confusing me! :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Good Lord...

In Final Fantasy VIII or 8, there's a ship called Ragnarock/Lagunarock and a Guardian Force called Bahamut;

In Final Fantasy IX or 9, there's a ship called Invincible and an Eidolon called Bahamut;

In Final Fantasy XII or 12, there's a ship called Bahamut;

Enough!
The Lightblue Ribbon