Author Topic: Naming Shivan Ships  (Read 16619 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
:welcomesilver:

Welcome to the HLPBB, PKDecatur! :D

Bob, add the GTSJ Bahamut to the list :lol:

And it's Heartilly, with two ls ;)

Well there's the EAD Ryujin in Inferno...

And the EACv Raiden ;)

It would be nice to see some more variety in the ship's names, specially Terran ones, I mean, GTD Raynor? C'mon. :rolleyes: I think that Hindu and some arabic names would go really well with Shivan ships, not just demon names but others as well.

I don't like so much names like Raynor and Baranec(Dave will not read this thread, right? :nervous:).

Shivan ships/wings already have names coming from the Hindu religion(most of which have nothing to do with demons). As for the Arabic names...you can use Kjata(Kujata?) and Bahamut(please use this one for a  massive and powerful ship or you will probably taste my rage! :P).

There is a modded ship called the Behemoth... I don't know where it is or what it looks like though.

We already have the SC Behemoth in the main campaign(strange, its name should have been "Rakshasa"...maybe that principle is valid for destroyer class ships and above). In the demo of FreeSpace, the Juggernauts were called "behemots".

I'd personally toss in a few names from more modern legends in.  No SD Saurons or Vaders, but I'd make a ship designated Cthulhu.  Why not?  In the actual Mythos, Cthulhu isn't the omnipotent evil deity, merely a very powerful one who happens to live on Earth.  And it'll be amusing to have a ship named Cthulhu while all the other ones are named after Biblical/Talmudic demons.  Perhaps there should be more Shivan ships named after the Kaballah and Jewish mysticism as well?

So what do you think?

Frankly I don't know why we should forbid names like "Sauron", "Morgoth"& Co. and allow "Chtulhu", "Chton" & Co.

Names created by Tolkien are better, Lovecraft's stuff makes my eyes bleed. Tolkien's languages have been influenced from Gaelic, Finnish and other languages I don't remember at the moment. They make more sense than the others. The Elvish "Heru" is so damn close to the Finnish "Herra".

I wonder if Lovecraft's names are equally interesting. And Tolkien is only reletively recent. The films are recent, the world imagined by Tolkien is not.

Oh, by the way, why don't you use Latin names like "Malor" or Greek ones like "Thanatos"? :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
I think there already is a ship named Thanatos. It's Shivan I think and was in FS2 main.
This sig is equal to -i.

Free Vasudans! Clicky here!!

Care to kill a flame war™?

"Is it just me or are the squirrels getting more and more waterlogged?" - Tyr

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" -Me
"Are you trying to exorcise my Rubik's cube?" -Tyrian

"Life's an adventure*plunge*" -Tyrian
"You call plunging a toilet an adventure?" -Me

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Yes, it's in Apocalypse.

And there also is a Cain names "Malor" in the Nebula.

My point is that Latin and Greek names are therefore canon :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
Aren't there any Viking names we can borrow from? I'm just trying to continue the conversation.
This sig is equal to -i.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Why not just make the SCv Renji , SD Byakuga and the SD Kenpachi too  :lol:

Excuse me but i believe its ByakuYa no?  :p
EDIT: SJ Toushiro?  :nod:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 08:32:23 pm by Hellstryker »

i Dunno, bt i like the sound of the SJ Zangetsu.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

I don't like so much names like Raynor and Baranec(Dave will not read this thread, right? :nervous:).

Shivan ships/wings already have names coming from the Hindu religion(most of which have nothing to do with demons). As for the Arabic names...you can use Kjata(Kujata?) and Bahamut(please use this one for a  massive and powerful ship or you will probably taste my rage! :P).

Dave who? Bahamut is used way too much like Hyperion, perhaps something like SD Th'uban, arabic for dragon, it's quite fitting for a ravana or demon IMO.  A couple of Kushan names are really great too for capital ships like Vasudeva, it fits well for a vasudan corvette.

Aren't there any Viking names we can borrow from? I'm just trying to continue the conversation.

Vikings are interesting too, unfortunately I dont know much about them (name wise).

Viking names are already in there ( GTF Loki ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loki

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
I use a random eclectic bunch of things which are regarded as evil, but are not "mainstream" enough to sound stupid. E.G. I will never name a ship "SD Satan" or "SD Sauron"; however, "SD Hezrou" is perfectly valid as far as I'm concerned.

I occasionally also make up names, such as "SC Mekaisu". (It just sounds right somehow.)

And of course, every campaign needs at least one SC Parvati. (Or in Warzone's case, two.) :P

Though destructive forces in general seem to be valid names as well. Anyone remember the SC Thunder and SC Lightning from FS1?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 11:48:57 pm by Mad Bomber »
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
SC Lightning, SC Thunder? Wow.. ooh. SC Hurricane? Hurricane and Typhoon sound like valid names. Armageddon sounds even better.
This sig is equal to -i.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Oh god, you've sealed your fate >_< here comes the name spam..
SC Noreaster, SC Blizzard, SC Eruption, SC Quake, SC Apocalypse, SC Hale (however you spell it), SC Cyclone, SC Magma, SC Lava, SC Tornado, SC Ragnarok, SC Storm, SC Gale, SC Maelstrom, SC Bermuda Triangle, SC Tsunami. Ok, Now lets translate that into latin  ;)

SC Noreaster SC Blizzard SC Erumpo SC Contremisco SC Apocalypse SC Vigoratus SC Cyclone SC Magma SC Lava SC Turbo SC Ragnarok SC Tempestas SC Procella SC Maelstrom SC Bermuda Triangle SC Tsunami. Several are quite interesting eh? i like the SC Vigoratis and SC Tempestas myself.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Frankly I don't know why we should forbid names like "Sauron", "Morgoth"& Co. and allow "Chtulhu", "Chton" & Co.

Names created by Tolkien are better, Lovecraft's stuff makes my eyes bleed..

You're now my sworn enemy.

But more seriously - the problem with Tolkien's names is that generally speaking they sound familiar at best, generic at worst. Sauron in particular doesn't work well as a ship name because it's just too recognisable, whereas Cthulhu hasn't pierced the public consciousness with quite the same fervency. That, and it's just far more appropriate - Sauron was the Dark Lord of Mordor, whereas Cthulhu was an ancient, colossal alien. Which sounds more like the Shivans?

Tolkien's languages have been influenced from Gaelic, Finnish and other languages I don't remember at the moment. They make more sense than the others. The Elvish "Heru" is so damn close to the Finnish "Herra".

I wonder if Lovecraft's names are equally interesting.

Lovecraft's names have little to do with language. The names of his creatures generally aren't the 'proper' spelling: they're simply the closest imitation the human tongue can make of completely alien syllables.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 06:47:40 am by Ransom Arceihn »

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
I knew your name was familiar. Hooray! The creator of Transcend!

Anyway,
Oh god, you've sealed your fate >_< here comes the name spam..
. . . SC Eruption . . . SC Bermuda Triangle . . . SC Noreaster.
Interesting names but the SC Bermuda Triangle? Sounds a tad bit long.
This sig is equal to -i.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
SC Bush?
SC Osama?
There both evil people...
 :nervous:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:52:54 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
SC Bush?
SC Osama?

Look everyone, he's trying to be funny and failing miserably at it!

:lol:

(no offense)

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
You could always shorten it to Bermuda  :doubt:

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
SC Bush?
SC Osama?

Look everyone, he's trying to be funny and failing miserably at it!

:lol:

(no offense)

I wasn't trying to be funny, I am serous.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

I wasn't trying to be funny, I am serous.

Serous? That you definitely were. :p

;)

[joke mode - off]

Now, really, Bush and Osama are awfull names, even more so for warships.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Now, really, Bush and Osama are awfull names, even more so for warships.

What about for a supercarrier?