Author Topic: Gunboat-type models  (Read 3761 times)

lol, no. I forgot this board uses '[' and ']' not < and >.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:p You could use "Modify" on your post, then... and what's wrong with using (s) instead of <s> or [s] (both apparently work here).

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

gtgb maelstrom
size lwh 103m, 42m, 16m
armament:
4 buckshot turrets
1 stinger missile turret
2 warhead banks
capability to externally mount 1 meson torpedo
2 105mm gatling guns

i really need to htl this thing, and improve the textures :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
BWO has a really good one (the Vanir bomber) but unfortunately it's not publicly available.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Oi, Nuke, that's no gunship, it's nearly a capship (capship minimum length = 150 meters)

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
and it needs that space to store the shells for its gatling guns :D
besides, this thing was designed from the ground up as a sathanas slayer.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I don't know. Skin and shape doesn't seem terran at all.

It doesn't look like it belongs in Freespace...(sorry, Nuke) Maybe a re-skin is in order...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Eh?  It looks Vasudan, with a touch of Terran perhaps.. (Anyone here been inside the Vasudan Main Hall???)

It doesn't even look Vasudan.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
There's my Praetorian, but I didn't design it as player-flyable in mind...more like a micro-cruiser.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
It doesn't look like it belongs in Freespace...(sorry, Nuke) Maybe a re-skin is in order...

Frankly, I think the same is true of most of the Nukemod ships except for the Succubus, Dante, and Seker. They just don't fit visually with the rest of FS IMO.

They are all excellent models, though, with unparalleled model detail. :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 03:22:15 pm by Mad Bomber »
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think its a bad idea to say every terran ship in the game should be blocky. theres actually alot of variation in the terran ships, you have sleek ships like the Perseus and the herc2 are sleek and dont have anything square about them. you have hard angular ships like the the pegasus. the hecate isnt that blockey at all. and the deimos has some considerable curvyness. the only ships in freespace that are blocky were the ones from fs1 where the technology at the time wasnt capable of runing with high poly models.

also you have the whole ww2 analogy. you can sat the terran-vasudan war was an analog to ww1. the tech is new, neither side was familiar with spaceborn warfare. then you have the ww2 era where the shivans are coming it, were a little better at war in space and the technology advances (wile in terms of air combat the improvement between ww1 and ww2 was in engines and weapons, in freespace it was shields and weapons). then you can think of freespace 2 as the korea/nam/desert storm era combat. planes get faster, sleeker, and we have advancements in stealth, weapons and sensors. in freespace we also see the ships getting sleeker, a little faster, we get stealth, we get beams and flaks.

using that analogy you can say i aim to make ships from the current to ww3 era. we have the nebula and we have to contend with the fact that we know what the shivans could actually hit us with if they ever came back. so ships become sleeker to contend with nebular drag, also id like to display some trans-atmospheric characteristics (that means wings and curves). caps move faster and have more firepower condensed into a smaller hull. also theres more experimental tech being used. the maelstrom was going to be stealth but removed the stealth tag for balence reasons. both it and the phoenix use reverse-engineered shivan tech.

ive had better luck with shivan and vasudan ships as far as making them match the fs universe. one of the reasons behind my pirate fleet is because the game lacked one to begin with, and i could have some more artistic flexibility with the new ships. i could go retro on the weapons by re-introducing gatling guns, mines, ect. some of those ships are among my newest and best done. but must of my work in the last couple years has been mainly doing htl overhauls.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:58:16 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN