Author Topic: old games on new comp  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Topgun

is their any way run old games on a new computer? like an emulater or something? I disabled directx accel and it helped with the crazy fps, but it still crashes alot.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Well here you have the FREE emulators I know:

+ Old PC games (DOS emulator): DOSBox

+ SCUMM emulator for LucasArts (and others) graphical adventures: ScummVM
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Topgun

I was thinking of something more on the lines of -makes my comp work like an older p2 300mhz rather then a 2ghz d-core-.
like some sorta hardware -> software wraper thing.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Well here you have the FREE emulators I know:

+ Old PC games (DOS emulator): DOSBox

+ SCUMM emulator for LucasArts (and others) graphical adventures: ScummVM

DOSBox is a must! :yes:

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
We can't give a definite answer.

It really depends on what kind of game (Dos or Win9x) you're trying to run.
Dosbox was already mentioned. I usually don't have trouble with earlier windows titles (Heavy Gear 2, Wipeout XP/2097 nonwidstanding).

For DOS games beside Dosbox I use the VDMSound emulator that emulates an old soundcard, and also configures memory management in a manner that's really DOS-game friendly. (Ergo with one click I run an old title that would take a lot of messing around its memory setting otherwise).
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Are these DOS or Windows games? The methods for getting them to work are quite different.

I don't recommend VDMSound since it has timer glitches that cause FM music to play at variable speeds, and it is basically defunct, with the last update done in something like 2002. The one reason to use it in the past was speed, as Dosbox could be too slow on some games, but the 0.7 versions of Dosbox are very fast on the dynamic core and run everything I've tried flawlessly, including several of the newer protected mode DOS games from the mid 90s (Doom/Descent era).

Offline Topgun

win95

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Lets be specific please :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
There's always MS Virtual PC 2007.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
If the problem you're having is that the games run at seemingly 2x normal speed, that's being caused by your dual core processor.  To fix that, you need to go to the Task Manager, find the matching process, right click it, click "Set Affinity...", and then deselect all but one CPU.  That's the only problem I've ever encountered with regards to getting old games to run on a dual core system with XP.  (Which I assume you're using.)

If you use Vista, then that's probably your problem there.  Try one of the compatibility modes then.  It might or might not work.  (I tried the Vista compatibility modes with Morrowind and it actually made the problems worse, though.  Go M$... :rolleyes:)
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive had better luck with win95 games than i do with alot of directx 6 and 7 era games. i recently found a patch for the mechwarrior 2 titanium pack that makes the game run in vista with full on 3d support. ive been able to run hellbender as well. the instaler didnt like vista much, but i installed on xp and copied the files over to vista and the game worked somewhat ok. i had some problem getting joysticks to work but it was playable. decent2 win95 doesnt seem to work but thats easily fixed with d2x-xl or d2x. all the id games from that era (doom, quake) work perfectly. 

perhaps if you named the game we could help?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Topgun

sorry about the other post. I had to scram and didn't have time time to post much.
anyway, one of the games I am trying to get to work is Lucasarts's Rouge Squadron 3D. it's for win98 I think. it works with the directx accel turned off untill I beat the mission, then it crashes. I think it might be due to system specs being about 20 times better then recomended  :lol:. you guys seem to say that the speed doesn't really matter so I guess I don't know what I am talking about. It might be due to d-core stuff like tyrian said. I dunno.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
get an n64 emulator and play that version instead.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I have the Rogue Squadron... it kept crashing on me, too... grrr... I was going to try the N64 version; what's the best emulator for N64 out there?

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
pj64 works pretty well for me. handles Goldeneye and PD.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
There's also mupen64 and 1964 both of which work quite well!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Rogue Squadron works fine on new my PC. XP Pro, 1.5 Ghz P4, Radeon 9550. What problems are you having, exactly?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
It may be the plug-ins you are using, try Jabosound and Jabodirect plugin's I find they work quite well on my computer! :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
CPU Killer, google it, shjould slow your comp down, why you'd want to i dunno :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Topgun

Rogue Squadron works fine on new my PC. XP Pro, 1.5 Ghz P4, Radeon 9550. What problems are you having, exactly?
I have 2.1 ghz 2core and 8700 GT. I said that I was having framrate problems untill I turned off directx accel. then it crashed on me whenever I beat a mission.

PS: I use project 64 1.6 it works great :yes: