Author Topic: Good games from the last 7 years.  (Read 9995 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Re: Good games from the last 7 years.
Anyone recall a strategy game where re-supplying your forces (with ammo too) was an issue?

The games I played were:
X-Com
M.A.X.
War Inc.

Recently you discussed Steel Panther. What was that like in that issue?

If I had an RTS like that with massive maps (AKA true strategy like in Supreme Commande) I would be the happiest desktop general on the continent.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
bwoah, X-COM is awesome and HARD.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Marathon, but thats far older than Se7en
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 02:57:04 pm by Hellstryker »

Recently you discussed Steel Panther. What was that like in that issue?

Mostly tactical battles, so ammo supply usually wasn't important. If you ran out of missiles on the front line, you'd pretty much go without them, which made sense. The only way to resupply your ammo was with ammo trucks, which were/are extremely cheap, so your artillery basically had unlimited refires. Again, this doesn't accurately reflect the logistics of that kind of situation, so in self-discipline I tried to avoid "gamey" things like that.

I mean, it wasn't that bad. The thing to remember is that SP games were meant to be simulations and gameplay wasn't the focus. Therefore, you weren't prevented from doing some pretty crazy things, as the whole game engine was just too complex to thoroughly balance. Only common sense and common courtesy prevent multiplayer games from getting ridiculous. One of my favorite WinSPMBT pastimes is using my Blackhawks as anti-helicopter interceptors.  :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Anyone recall a strategy game where re-supplying your forces (with ammo too) was an issue?

The Battle Isle series was a pretty good set of games that had that sort of thing to take into account :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Close Combat made you conserve, since there was no resupply. :p And it could get awful tight in a long campaign at some of the forward maps, were you're down to a couple magzines per weapon. There were times where you'd be replacing your units just to get more ammo.

I have a horrible habit of buying extra FO vehicles and converting them to attack helicopters as the game progresses in SP3. Mainly use them to hunt artillery...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Battlezone had you resupply your vehicles with ammo. But that was one the less fun aspects of the game, which was otherwise pretty excellent.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Battlezone had you resupply your vehicles with ammo. But that was one the less fun aspects of the game, which was otherwise pretty excellent.

I think otherwise, it was the sole thing that made tactics necessary - you couldn't steamroller the enemy with a single tank rush, it took hard work to bring him to that point.

Unfortunately the only part of the Battle Isle series I played was Incubation.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 12:52:09 am by Flaser »
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
The NOLF games Marcus Vesper mentioned are two of the best FPS games you can get on PC.  Just when the genre was getting tired, Monolith reinvigorated it with humour and complex storylines.  This also worked to make the sheer agression of the combat more surprising when you noticed it.

Soldier of Fortune II was also pretty good, very user-friendly when it came to modding.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Last seven years? ................

HL2 and ummm..................

Homeworld2 :D

Also Hitman games.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
Heagemonia: legions of iron (Wow this game rocks)
Nexus: The jupiter Incident
HW 1, Cataclysm and HW 2 with cheats
COD4; modern warfare
HL series
Darkstar One
POP
I hate My signature!

Meh, CoD4 is merely an okay game. It's like every other Call of Duty game, but placed in today's world. Not anything new, merely okay.

DarkStar One is also merely okay. It's almost just like its predecessor Freelancer, only the devs removed the greatest part of Freelancer, the ability to buy new ships. Storyline is meh, graphics meh, ship meh, upgrading meh, overall meh/okay.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Call of Duty 4 is too short, only missions i liked were Captain Prices flashback to Chernobyl and the Presidents execution. Also post crash irradiated death.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Roanoke

Got Hostile Waters. I remember watching my bro play that years ago. Pretty decent, but the command interface (for controlling other units) is a little clunky.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 04:18:53 pm by Roanoke »

The reloaded aspect of Battlezone is the only thing that felt cheap in the game and was a huge let down. On the highest difficulty level you couldn't even kill an enemy mainline tank (can really remember; the Grizzly maybe, and it's Russian equivalent) without reloading using the standard canon, even if every hit landed. And even with the blast (I think) canon you'd only get two. Otherwise excellent game. I hear the sequel was class too.

Personally I'd have to go with;
Total War series (spend way too much time micromanaging these at the epense of other games)
Baldur's Gate series
Fallout 1 and 2
Operation Flashpoint
Half Life series
Thief 1 and 2
Myth 1 and 2 (mainly 2) especially for the multiplayer (really must get back into that) and story

I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting, but story and history, atmosphere and emersion are my big factors. I'm not adverse to a big of blasting though which is why Freespace is probably at the top of that list.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline Roanoke

Good call on Op. Flashpoint.

how about Clive Barker's Undying ? That's good.

"Be ever vigilant or the Undying King will walk the earth once more."
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Word of warning!  Undying is indeed an excellent title, but apparently there are fairly widespread problems with the copy protection on the cd causing the game to exit after throwing up the initial splash screen.  When that first happened to me I wasn't sure what the hell was wrong with it, as it had run on the computer before, but I chalked it up to a system issue or something.

Installing it on a brand spanking new box, having it run fine (to which I rejoiced!), leaving for vacation, and coming back only to have it do the same thing it was a year ago on the old machine though......that got me scrambling for a solution.  Downloading a no-cd patch did the trick, but it took me an aggravatingly long time to find a site that would come right out and say that was what's wrong (and of course they didn't link to a site WITH no-cd patches (not that those are hard to find), and then it only ran in Windows 9x).

So the whole ordeal was one giant fiasco, hence my advice right now: Get a no-cd patch first thing after installing it.  Considering it never actually needs anything on the cd, and there's no multiplayer, there really isn't any downside (so long as you actually paid for it).  Publishers should really stop making paying customers go through the same channels that people planning on stealing their products use, just so they can get them to play.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Hmmm... never had a problem with Undying.  BTW is there some texture upgrade mods for it?  It'd look even more creepy with some decent texturing.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Roanoke

There was an Undying page on 3dap but it seemed to be pretty dead (and that was a couple of years ago).